Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:13 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: R1 vs R2 [#permalink]
Why do you think your background is mediocre? From the looks of it you have a great GPA. That alone won't get you in to a school but it definitely won't be a weakness to overcome. Do you think you need to have found a cure for cancer to get in? I'm confused about what makes you feel you don't have a good chance.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
cheetarah1980 wrote:
Why do you think your background is mediocre? From the looks of it you have a great GPA. That alone won't get you in to a school but it definitely won't be a weakness to overcome. Do you think you need to have found a cure for cancer to get in? I'm confused about what makes you feel you don't have a good chance.

I have heard that Top school look at many things. I don't know if I have everything it takes; actually I don't even what it takes. I have lead teams in my company but don't have a role of a manager at work first-of-all. Secondly, and perhaps my biggest fear, I have heard schools also see if you have lead a group/groups "outside work" like some social service community. I have never been involved in any social service activity. Moreover, since I came to US right after I got my undergrad degree, it took me sometime to make my existence here. Apart from with co-workers and few of the meetup groups, I am not involved in significant extra-curricular activities. Although during my undergrad, I was very active in extra-curricular activities - have **** load of stuff to quote - BUT that's past (5+ yrs ago!), who cares? I have heard that they are looking for individuals who can lead their extra-curricular clubs in their school, and network and participate in other activities. I know I am very extrovert person, but I just don't have many achievements "outside work" that I can quote to prove! Although in past 3 years, I have joined a bunch meetup groups that do many activities but I don't lead any of those groups. That's why "I think" mine is a mediocre profile overall - despite great academics and great progression/role at work so-far, I am not sure how to project a niche. They will more likely choose one with a failed startup and not so good acads/current work, than me, no?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
abhicoolmax wrote:
startsnowing wrote:
you can target round 1 and then only submit if you are ready. truthfully that's a decision you can make the day before!!

My main concern is the timing. I guess I want to ask, whether R1 will increase my chance over R2 ? Like I know that R3 is virtually drawn dead for my profile. I am curious whether, in general, it is easier to get into R1 than to R2 for an applicant with normal profile like me.

My current plan is to apply in my "lowest" priority schools in R1 and then to apply in my "highest" priority schools in R2; As by R2 I will be more confident with the whole process. I might be wrong in my thinking and I don't know if this is the right plan - I am hoping for some experts' advice here!

If you're an international applicant, then you should apply in R1 or R2. R3 is very selective and most schools would have already offered admission for a fairly large percentage of the incoming class. Also, getting documentation in order if you're accepted in R3 can be a challenge.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
fedexunledded wrote:
If you're an international applicant, then you should apply in R1 or R2. R3 is very selective and most schools would have already offered admission for a fairly large percentage of the incoming class. Also, getting documentation in order if you're accepted in R3 can be a challenge.

Thanks for your advice fedex. Yeah, R3 is NOT an option for me. I am looking forward to 1-2 application in R1 and 3-4 in R2. Hopefully I can prepare 4-6 in ~4.5-5 months time.

Izvos wrote:
try the article Admissions Myths Destroyed: Round 1 Is Everything
https://izvos.com/admissions-myths-destr ... verything/

Thanks Izvoz. Great article. Thanks for sharing. That helps!
GMAT Club Bot