Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 03:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

R1 vs. R2 for a unique applicant

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 02 Jun 2007
Posts: 157
Schools: The University of Texas at Austin
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

R1 vs. R2 for a unique applicant [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2007, 01:55
Yup, another R1 vs. R2 question. Sorry!

I'm a rather unique applicant. When I say that I mean that my professional background isn't IT/Consulting/Investment Banking or the like. I genuinely believe that the admissions committee will look at my resume and say, "Wow, cool. We've never had one of these before..."

As such, I'm weighing the pros and cons of going R1 vs. R2. I know that R1 is usually recommended for people who tend to fit a more common applicant profile thus preventing their application from becoming just another XYZ in a huge pool. Makes sense.

As a unique applicant, my concern is that R1 may hurt more than help as the adcomm will see fewer applications and mine won't contrast nearly as much. Maybe I'm not giving the adcomm enough credit for being able to separate the wheat from the chaff (what I am remains to be seen!).

Your thoughts are most welcome.

EDIT: FWIW, I'm also trying to overcome a low uGPA (I graduated in 1999) but my work experience, recommendations, GMAT, etc. are all good.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 10 Apr 2007
Posts: 4320
Location: Back in Chicago, IL
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 702 [0], given: 5

 [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2007, 02:55
Either round should work for you...the people reviewing your app have probably been doing this for more than that year (except for students) and will have a knowledge of the different types of applicants they get. Don't place your hopes on being the only person you are still going to have to write good essays and get good recs. So the real question to ask your self as the R1 deadline approaches is my application as good as it can be, if it is then send it in, if you can strengthen it applying R2 would be a better bet. These schools get NFL players, broadway actors, olympians, and all sorts of crazy profiles...so though it helps to not compete against a bunch of indian IT people with 750+ or IBs from ivy league schools, being unique isn't going to get you in if everything else doesn't meet their standards.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5925
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 256

Kudos [?]: 1580 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2007, 03:06
Either or... you can't time it. In any case, if its truly that unique, by definition, it wouldn't matter when you applied.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Status: Um... what do you want to know?
Joined: 03 Jun 2007
Posts: 5464
Location: SF, CA, USA
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 338 [0], given: 14

 [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2007, 09:15
to piggy back on this discussion, what does it mean by:

"Can I strengthen my application any more?"

If I have all my work experience, resume, essays, recs and application all done, reviewed many times by friends and peers, spent a couple months drafting one essay after another, and made sure all the sentences are grammatically correct, no spelling errors, and no switch in school names ( :P ), how can I determine if the application is "strong enough" to submit?

I understand that if I started my essay writing in October and the app is due end of October, it's probably not strong enough to submit. But if I'm going to write my first outline and draft in the next couple weekends in August, and have at least 2-3 people do a comprehensive review of it (including my own mini-reviews), plus incorporate things from school visits, talking to alums and students (which I'm getting quite a bit of contacts from Berkeley and Stanford). Will that be "strong enough" by the end of October (R1) to submit?

Thanks!
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 01 Nov 2006
Posts: 1855
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 2

 [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2007, 10:17
It sounds like you've done everything you wanted to do. What are you missing?

Seriously, you'll know when they're done....you've got it how you want it, further futzing won't have any real change, etc. Or you'll just be so damned tired of working on it, you'll just want to send it off.




kryzak wrote:
to piggy back on this discussion, what does it mean by:

"Can I strengthen my application any more?"

If I have all my work experience, resume, essays, recs and application all done, reviewed many times by friends and peers, spent a couple months drafting one essay after another, and made sure all the sentences are grammatically correct, no spelling errors, and no switch in school names ( :P ), how can I determine if the application is "strong enough" to submit?

I understand that if I started my essay writing in October and the app is due end of October, it's probably not strong enough to submit. But if I'm going to write my first outline and draft in the next couple weekends in August, and have at least 2-3 people do a comprehensive review of it (including my own mini-reviews), plus incorporate things from school visits, talking to alums and students (which I'm getting quite a bit of contacts from Berkeley and Stanford). Will that be "strong enough" by the end of October (R1) to submit?

Thanks!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Status: Um... what do you want to know?
Joined: 03 Jun 2007
Posts: 5464
Location: SF, CA, USA
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 338 [0], given: 14

 [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2007, 10:42
I'm more worried about the "... damned tired of working on it and want to send it off" part. That's why I wanted to see if there was some "formula" on determining if the application needs any strengthening.

I just hope I can leave spaces in my essay to insert experiences of the class visits, since some of them are in the October time frame and the R1's are due at the end of October.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 01 Nov 2006
Posts: 1855
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 2

 [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2007, 10:54
kryzak wrote:
I'm more worried about the "... damned tired of working on it and want to send it off" part. That's why I wanted to see if there was some "formula" on determining if the application needs any strengthening.

I just hope I can leave spaces in my essay to insert experiences of the class visits, since some of them are in the October time frame and the R1's are due at the end of October.


Sorry, I don't think it's that easy - no formula applies. Check out the essay writing guide that Rhyme wrote, but it really does sound like you're on the ball.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Status: Um... what do you want to know?
Joined: 03 Jun 2007
Posts: 5464
Location: SF, CA, USA
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 338 [0], given: 14

 [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2007, 12:06
Ok, I have rhyme's document saved, printed, and read. =) I will re-read all the stuff I've been downloading and reading again throughout my essay process.

I *really* want to get into a good MBA school for Fall 2008, so I'm very motivated. It's good to hear that I'm on the ball, as I always feel like I'm behind. :shock:
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 24 Sep 2006
Posts: 1360
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 185 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2007, 10:25
aaudetat wrote:
Seriously, you'll know when they're done....you've got it how you want it, further futzing won't have any real change, etc. Or you'll just be so damned tired of working on it, you'll just want to send it off.


Or you will run out of time and submit anyway... as most of us have... :lol:

Funny how that worked out fine for most of us.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 22 Apr 2007
Posts: 1097
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2007, 12:32
We've completely hijacked this thread. But continuing kryzak's question, how much time did the 2007ers spend on each application?

I know that the amount of time spent doesn't necessarily mean that your application is ready .. but such guidelines may help us 2008ers plan our application work some more and stay well within deadlines and still produce good quality applications.

I was initially planning to spend a month on each application. But I don't think I have that much time for each application now. Is one month too much / too less?

EDIT: Assuming working for 2 hrs each day (I will spend more time during the weekends, but then I will not work on the essays at all some days)

Last edited by mNeo on 01 Aug 2007, 13:01, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 01 Nov 2006
Posts: 1855
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 2

 [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2007, 12:49
Yikes! I did NOT spend that much time on them. We've talked about this in other places, but I turned all of mine out pretty quickly.

So, probably an average of 2 or maybe 3 hours for the data entry portions - demographic info, activities, whatever is on the app. Your first one takes longer, as you have to remember the name of that club you were in in college and how many hours you spent each week on it. After you get that info down, it's much quicker.

As for essays, it really depends on how long they are and how many there are. Yale's application was super-short; UNC's was pretty long. The schools vary a lot. But I would say somewhere between 10 and 25 hours, maybe even less if there are only 2 fairly short essays and you've already got your shtick down.


mNeo wrote:
We've completely hijacked this thread. But continuing kryzak's question, how much time did the 2007ers spend on each application?

I know that the amount of time spent doesn't necessarily mean that your application is ready .. but such guidelines may help us 2008ers plan our application work some more and stay well within deadlines and still produce good quality applications.

I was initially planning to spend a month on each application. But I don't think I have that much time for each application now. Is one month too much / too less?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Status: Um... what do you want to know?
Joined: 03 Jun 2007
Posts: 5464
Location: SF, CA, USA
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 338 [0], given: 14

 [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2007, 13:28
  [#permalink] 01 Aug 2007, 13:28
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
R1 vs R2 abhicoolmax 6 11 Jul 2011, 14:44
3 R1 or R2-Strategy for Applications mattapraveen 6 11 Apr 2011, 05:28
HBS, Stanford: R1 vs. R2 garbus222 3 08 Jan 2009, 02:56
Experts publish their posts in the topic R1 vs. R2 mbaguy513 3 11 Jun 2008, 09:52
The merit of applying R1 vs. R2 , do you agree ? WinWinMBA 3 14 Jul 2005, 14:06
Display posts from previous: Sort by

R1 vs. R2 for a unique applicant

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.