Joined: 12 Jun 2013
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GRE 1: 322 Q159 V163
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
, given: 26
R2 Applicant - Profile Evaluation and Shortlisting Schools [#permalink]
27 Nov 2013, 02:31
Please evaluate my profile. I would be applying in R2 with my GRE scores.
1) Brief description of your full-time work experience. What do you do?
4+ years in Information Technology
- My job responsibilities were technical - involved mainframe programming and end-to-end testing (non-consulting), but the specific project that I had worked on provided opportunities to participate in managerial role as I worked on it single-handed. Mentored a team of 10 new joiners on various aspects of the project.
- I worked in this project for 2 years. It involved a lot of crucial decision making from my end and I participated in business requirement discussions with clients. I was involved at all stages of this project from initiation to deployment, had the big picture view, involved in a lot project management activities.
- My work involved a lot of business-level discussions (on a daily basis) with Business Partners from US.
- Took up management role in addition to the technical role. Responsibilities: Mainframe programming/testing (was a SME for the project), Mentored and coordinated a team of 5 members, Coordinated with clients to come up with Business Requirements (bridging technical gaps, providing decisions/suggestions on what might be an optimized solution)
- Participated in regular business-level discussions with clients from US & Germany.
2) Your GMAT.
I would be applying with my GRE scores. GRE: 322 Quant: 159 (75th percentile), Verbal: 163 (91st percentile), AWA 4 (54th percentile)
Although I intend to focus on the application process without a re-take, please advise if my low quant score could break my application and if I should re-take. I always do very well on quant and can show instances of my above-par quant abilities. I guess it wasn't my day when I took the test. Although I can re-take, I strongly think my time would be better spent if I focus on other parts of the app process. Please advise what I should do.
3) College info: The name of the college, your GPA or grade average, your major, year of graduation. For any graduate degrees, please provide the same info. If you grades are low, please indicate if there were extenuating circumstances.
Major: Bachelors in Engineering (Electronics) University: Anna University (Indian University, non-IIT)
Grade Avg: 80% (first class with distinction) ; Year of Grad: 2009
4) Significant college and post-college extra-curricular activities or community service, especially leadership experience.
- Co-founded a non-profit organization to help educate underprivileged children with a few colleagues and presently a board member at the organization.
- I have been teaching English and Math for primary school children through an NGO.
- I have been a scribe for visually-impaired children and have written exams for them. Have done this consistently for over a year now.
- Have devised and implemented plans for improving the sanitary conditions at a few government schools.
- State-level Chess player. Placed 5th in state in the junior category championships, won the overall championship for 2 years in undergrad college.
5) Important certifications like CFA, CPA, FSA, or CA.
6) Your target programs.
Kelley, Mendoza, Univ of Washington-Olin, University of Wisconsin, Carroll
Please suggest any other schools that I can target with my profile/GRE/GPA and also rate my preferred schools based on my profile/scores.
7) When you plan to apply? Please specify round and application cycle, for example R1 2013-14 or R3 2012-13.
8) Your post-MBA goal.
Product/Brand Management/Marketing Research in a Consumer Products Industry