Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Jul 2014, 20:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

R2 or next year/profile evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

R2 or next year/profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2012, 21:44
Hi Linda,

1) Brief description of your full-time work experience.

2yrs: automotive retail dealer/digital marketing, Boston
1yr: top-3 automotive European tire company, digital marketing, NYC
2yrs(at time of Fall,13): top-1 US trucking company, digital marketing, Philly.
All mid-level manager positions, managing advertising agency, always go above and beyond, consistently promoted, excellent reference from everyone.

2) Your GMAT.
770 (9 in IR, 5.5 AWA)

3) College info: The name of the college, your GPA or grade average, your major, year of graduation. For any graduate degrees, please provide the same info. If you grades are low, please indicate if there were extenuating circumstances.
02-06 BS in Civil Engineering in top engineering school in China, GPA 2.3/4.0, because I hated physics, and there's no way to change major.
07-08 1.5 yrs MS in Marketing Analytics, Bentley University, GPA 3.78/4.0 1/22 in class, because I love marketing and I was the top student at Bentley. Interned at top companies Microsoft and Mazda.

4) Significant college and post-college extra-curricular activities or community service, especially leadership experience.
Leader in climbing/hiking group, I climbed the highest mountain in each of the 48 states in the US, tons of volunteers in outdoor organizations. I'm devoted to outdoor preservation and climbing.

6) Your target programs.
only HBS, Stanford, MIT, Wharton and Columbia, I have visit a class at each school.

7) Your post-MBA goal.
marketing @ automotive manufacturing, linking technology and cars, that's exactly what I wanted to do. I planned my career in automotive retail sales, suppliers, trucking, transportation and automotive rental, which I had done in the past 5 years, my next and ultimate step is working for automotive makers.

I felt in many time without an ivy-league I simply cannot open doors to companies I want to work for. I've worked with many ivy-school people from Google/Mckinsey and felt myself a equal member to them (intellectually, presentation skills, people skills). I'm concerned that my extremely low undergrad GPA/that I did follow the top-undergrade > 3-5 yrs top school formula are going to cost me a chance to go to my dream schools.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 318 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: R2 or next year/profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2012, 11:07
Expert's post
sm0421 wrote:
Hi Linda,

1) Brief description of your full-time work experience.

2yrs: automotive retail dealer/digital marketing, Boston
1yr: top-3 automotive European tire company, digital marketing, NYC
2yrs(at time of Fall,13): top-1 US trucking company, digital marketing, Philly.
All mid-level manager positions, managing advertising agency, always go above and beyond, consistently promoted, excellent reference from everyone.

2) Your GMAT.
770 (9 in IR, 5.5 AWA)

3) College info: The name of the college, your GPA or grade average, your major, year of graduation. For any graduate degrees, please provide the same info. If you grades are low, please indicate if there were extenuating circumstances.
02-06 BS in Civil Engineering in top engineering school in China, GPA 2.3/4.0, because I hated physics, and there's no way to change major.
07-08 1.5 yrs MS in Marketing Analytics, Bentley University, GPA 3.78/4.0 1/22 in class, because I love marketing and I was the top student at Bentley. Interned at top companies Microsoft and Mazda.

4) Significant college and post-college extra-curricular activities or community service, especially leadership experience.
Leader in climbing/hiking group, I climbed the highest mountain in each of the 48 states in the US, tons of volunteers in outdoor organizations. I'm devoted to outdoor preservation and climbing.

6) Your target programs.
only HBS, Stanford, MIT, Wharton and Columbia, I have visit a class at each school.

7) Your post-MBA goal.
marketing @ automotive manufacturing, linking technology and cars, that's exactly what I wanted to do. I planned my career in automotive retail sales, suppliers, trucking, transportation and automotive rental, which I had done in the past 5 years, my next and ultimate step is working for automotive makers.

I felt in many time without an ivy-league I simply cannot open doors to companies I want to work for. I've worked with many ivy-school people from Google/Mckinsey and felt myself a equal member to them (intellectually, presentation skills, people skills). I'm concerned that my extremely low undergrad GPA/that I did follow the top-undergrade > 3-5 yrs top school formula are going to cost me a chance to go to my dream schools.

Your low GPA is going to be a major hurdle for any of these programs. However, given the rest of your track record including your recent record at Bentley and your stellar GMAT, You should give a few (perhaps 3) of these schools a try. Then broaden your horizons and apply to three other programs where you chances of acceptance are higher and where you can still pursue your goals. Top of my list would be Ross. It has outstanding connection to the automotive industry and is also strong in marketing and general management. You may also want to consider Duke, Darden, and CMU Tepper.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog