Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 01:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Radio Stations with radio data system (RDS) technolodgy

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 3

Re: CR: RDS [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2010, 04:12
A it is

consider cudos if you like my post

Intern
Intern
Schools: UCLA; LMU; UCI; CSULB;
WE 1: 13
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: RDS [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2010, 13:31
I'd pick A as the answer.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: Stockholm School of Economics (MSc Finance) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 4
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: RDS [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2011, 04:03
A :)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: CR: RDS [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2011, 06:23
pdarun wrote:
I chose B, am still battling to understand why not B.
As explained in an earlier post if B is not true, then the conclusion in the passage falls apart. Reason enough to select B!

I think B is incorrect because of the date. It says that in 1996, Verdlanders who lived within the listening area of an RDS station already had a radio equipped to receive RDS.

Even if this is true, it can still mean that from 1994 to 1996, Verdlanders with RDS radios moved in large numbers from an area that was not within range of stations to an area that was. This would obviously greatly increase the number of people receiving the special programming.

Only A can be correct here. It's all about the radio stations. It basically says that the stations never reached many more customers. That's exactly what the conclusion is.
Manager
Manager
Schools: INSEAD,IIMA,IIMB

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: RDS [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2011, 22:43
A for me

Posted from my mobile device Image

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 87

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: RDS [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2011, 23:40
TallJTinChina wrote:
At first I picked E, but now I understand why A is correct.

Based on the question we know RDS-reception requires 3 things:
1) Station must send RDS info with signal
2) Receiving radio must be able to decode RDS information

Also we know:
the number of stations grew from 250 to 600
the number of receivers stayed the same

The conclusion is "..the number of verdlanders receiving the special program information probably did not increase significantly. "

In this problem we must support this conclusion (in my opinion a poor one) with a key assumption.

Choice A is basically saying the additional RDS stations are in the same broadcast area as the previous RDS stations.

I have a diagram to illustrate a situation without assumption A.

Attachment:
Verdland.JPG

As you can see in the drawing, an additional station in a different area of Verdland could increase the number of people receiving the RDS information.

For anyone wondering why the broadcast area for the blue station is not a circle, the broadcast tower is in a deep valley.

Can someone explain this using POE?? Also, what does A actually mean and what is it trying to say first of all?? I am having diffculty understanding this...
Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 125

Kudos [?]: 875 [0], given: 376

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: RDS [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2011, 02:05
siddhans wrote:
Can someone explain this using POE?? Also, what does A actually mean and what is it trying to say first of all?? I am having diffculty understanding this...

In 1994:
250 Stations
1 Million RDS equipments in total 100 Areas within Verdland
Radio broadcasts in only: 10 areas(Approx 100K equipments receive the broadcast- 900K equipments idle)

In 1996:
600 Stations
Radio broadcasts STILL in only: 10 areas(Approx 100K equipments receive the broadcast- 900K equipments idle)

Argument says: "the number of verdlanders receiving the special program information probably did not increase significantly"; Means the additional 350 stations are still broadcasting to only 10 areas. (A says just that)

If 350 additional stations broadcast to more areas, then:

In 1996:
600 Stations
Radio broadcasts in : ALL 100 areas(All 1 Million equipments receive the broadcast)-- This is against the argument.

Ans: "A"

~fluke

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 12-22-2011
GPA: 3.81
WE: General Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: RDS [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2011, 07:17
+1 FOR A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 87

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: RDS [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2011, 10:12
fluke wrote:
siddhans wrote:

In 1994:
250 Stations
Radio broadcasts in only: 10 areas(Approx 100K equipments receive the broadcast- 900K equipments idle)

In 1996:
600 Stations
Radio broadcasts STILL in only: 10 areas(Approx 100K equipments receive the broadcast- 900K equipments idle)

Argument says: "the number of verdlanders receiving the special program information probably did not increase significantly"; Means the additional 350 stations are still broadcasting to only 10 areas. (A says just that)

In 1996:
600 Stations
Radio broadcasts in : ALL 100 areas(All 1 Million equipments receive the broadcast)-- This is against the argument.

Hi Fluke,

Thanks for the detailed explanation...

What about D & E ??? How can we eliminate this ??

D Says: In 1996 Verdlanders who did not own radios equipped to receive RDS could not any programming from the RDS radio stations that began broadcasting in Verdland after 1994. ---Is this choice eliminated because of reasons(see below)?

1) The choice says that people who did not own radios equipped with RDS could not receive any programming.... Is this eliminated because of "any" since they could still receive some programs only not the special ones....

Or

2)Is this eliminated since it is out of scope ...since we arer only talking about special programs here and other kind of programs are not important?

Or

3) Is this eliminated since this is an assumption question and its repeating already what we know??(Lately i saw these reason from people but I thought we always use this kind of reasons to make argument stronger or weaker and assumption questions kind of fills the logical gap to make it strong or weak so it should be correct?? Please clarify)

(E) The RDS radio stations in Verdland in 1996 did not all offer the same type of programming. --- Is this eliminated because this is too generic and we are talking about Radio stations equipped with RDS and special programs and this doesnt relate in any way with the conclusion???
Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 125

Kudos [?]: 875 [0], given: 376

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: RDS [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2011, 14:29
siddhans wrote:
fluke wrote:
siddhans wrote:

In 1994:
250 Stations

In 1996:
600 Stations

In 1996:
600 Stations

Hi Fluke,

Thanks for the detailed explanation...

What about D & E ??? How can we eliminate this ??

D Says: In 1996 Verdlanders who did not own radios equipped to receive RDS could not any programming from the RDS radio stations that began broadcasting in Verdland after 1994. ---Is this choice eliminated because of reasons(see below)?

1) The choice says that people who did not own radios equipped with RDS could not receive any programming.... Is this eliminated because of "any" since they could still receive some programs only not the special ones....

Or

2)Is this eliminated since it is out of scope ...since we arer only talking about special programs here and other kind of programs are not important?

Or

3) Is this eliminated since this is an assumption question and its repeating already what we know??(Lately i saw these reason from people but I thought we always use this kind of reasons to make argument stronger or weaker and assumption questions kind of fills the logical gap to make it strong or weak so it should be correct?? Please clarify)

Well!! It is out of scope because it talks about the people who don't own RDS receiver. We are concerned about the people who owned RDS radio in 1994 and in 1996.

(E) The RDS radio stations in Verdland in 1996 did not all offer the same type of programming. --- Is this eliminated because this is too generic and we are talking about Radio stations equipped with RDS and special programs and this doesnt relate in any way with the conclusion???

Yeah!!! We are not concerned about what programming people received, but how many people who owned the radio received it.

~fluke

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.65

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: RDS [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2011, 02:09
+1 for A
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 590 Q36 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.42
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 10

Re: Radio Stations with radio data system (RDS) technolodgy [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2012, 07:17
Tough question, great explanations above guys. Thanks
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Radio Stations with radio data system (RDS) technolodgy [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2013, 14:03
Here is my explanation for why B is not a good option - Option B states "In 1996 Verdlanders who lived within the listening area of an RDS station already had a radio equipped to receive RDS".

This option talks nothing about the passage of time. If the option read 1994 instead of 1996 it could have been a plausible assumption/solution.
Director
Director
Affiliations: University of Florida
Schools: UFL (A)
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V29
GMAT 2: 590 Q35 V35
GMAT 3: 570 Q42 V28
GMAT 4: 610 Q44 V30
GPA: 3.45
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 227 [0], given: 629

Re: Radio Stations with radio data system (RDS) technolodgy [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2013, 18:39
Tricky/Wordy answer - If I paraphraed answer choice it might have made more sense such as

(A) Few if any of the No RDS radio stations that began broadcasting in Verdland (None of the 350 (600-25) new stations) after 1994 broadcast to people with RDS-equipped radios living in areas not previously reached by RDS stations (no new areas).

Summarize: None of the 350 new stations that began broadcasting after 1994 broadcast to any new areas.

Therefore, if the number of resident with RDS equipment did not change, then the number of residents receiving the special program information probably did not increase significantly.

Got Kudos? :) Tis better to give than receive | ANALYSIS OF MOST DIFFICULT QUESTION TYPES
Need motivation? check out this video or this one | "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
100 HARDEST CR QUESTIONS | 100 HARDEST SC QUESTIONS | 100 HARDEST PS QUESTIONS| 25 HARDEST QUESTIONS | 225 RC PASSAGES W/ TIMER!!!
PS QUESTION DIRECTORY|DS QUESTION DIRECTORY | SC QUESTION DIRECTORY | CR QUESTION DIRECTORY | RC QUESTION DIRECTORY

BEST OVERALL QUANT BOOK FOR THE MONEY | MAXIMIZE YOUR STUDY TIME

Re: Radio Stations with radio data system (RDS) technolodgy   [#permalink] 24 Oct 2013, 18:39