Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:49 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51450 [36]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [12]
Given Kudos: 130
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [7]
Given Kudos: 89
Concentration: Operations, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [4]
Given Kudos: 28
WE:Analyst (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Re: Since 1868, approximately thirty-five shipwrecks have been recorded of [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Since 1868, approximately thirty-five shipwrecks have been recorded off Alaska, a region known for their treacherous seas—less than those recorded off the coast of Massachusetts.

A. their treacherous seas—less than that=>wrongly refers to shipwrecks; should be its

B. its treacherous seas, a number fewer than that=>there should be a hyphen here

C. its treacherous seas, which is less than those=>wrongly refers to seas

D. its treacherous seas—fewer than have been=>sounds good

E. their treacherous seas, fewer than the ones=>their wrongly refers to ship-wrecks; should be its

Rgds.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [1]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Re: Since 1868, approximately thirty-five shipwrecks have been recorded of [#permalink]
Kudos
Quote:
Since 1868, approximately thirty-five shipwrecks have been recorded off Alaska, a region known for their treacherous seas—less than those recorded off the coast of Massachusetts.

A. their treacherous seas—less than that

B. its treacherous seas, a number fewer than that

C. its treacherous seas, which is less than those

D. its treacherous seas—fewer than have been

E. their treacherous seas, fewer than the ones

Since Alaska is a region, singular verb it is needed. not plural verb their.
In option C, Which wrongly refers to modifies to treacherous seas(plural subject).
Between B and D, I picked up B as i felt that a number would refer to 35 shipwrecks.......i.e., subject of the sentence.

but I'm still confused between B and D.

Eagerly waiting for OA and explanation.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8809 [1]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
GMATNinja , EMPOWERgmatRichC , sayantanc2k , daagh ,mikemcgarry , other experts -
I am stuck between options B and D. In B doesn't "a number fewer than that" modify thirty-five?

What is the use of Dash?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63666 [4]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
mikemcgarry wrote:
I will remind you that the GMAT SC absolutely does not test punctuation. If you read sophisticated writing, you will develop intuition for the dash, but this is more than you need to know for the GMAT.

I can't even begin to express how enthusiastically I agree with mikemcgarry here. Some people make their living as "style experts", debating the nuances of English grammar and usage and punctuation -- and those guys can't even agree on how to use dashes or commas. And the GMAT wisely goes out of its way NOT to test you on punctuation, other than some very basic stuff on semicolon usage.

So what should you do whenever you see a dash on the GMAT? Look for other issues. There are exactly zero official GMAT questions that test your understanding of how to use dashes. So don't worry about them! :-D
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1601 [0]
Given Kudos: 1002
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GPA: 3.01
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
[quote="souvik101990"]

Region "singular" So we need singular pronoun "its". Eliminate A and E.

B. Appositive "a number..." wrongly modifying "treacherous seas" instead of modifying "35 shipwrecks". Eliminate B.

C. "which" is wrongly modifying "treacherous seas". Eliminate.

D. Correct.

A. their treacherous seas—less than that

C. its treacherous seas, which is less than those

E. their treacherous seas, fewer than the ones
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 209
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
Send PM
Since 1868, approximately thirty-five shipwrecks have been recorded of [#permalink]
Quote:

Hi AjiteshArun VeritasKarishma

I chose choice B over choice D

Choice B: "a number fewer than that(number) recorded off the coast of Massachusetts" refers to "thirty-five shipwrecks". And "that" refers to "number"

Choice D: I eliminated this choice as I could not figure out what type of modifier is "fewer than have been recorded off the coast of Massachusetts". Is it a noun modifier? I don't see any noun/relative pronoun.

Mr. X, who is the most experienced member, is responsible for what has happened to the club.
Here "who" is the noun modifier that modifies Mr. X
(I was looking for a similar analogy in choice D, but did not find anything)

Please explain.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64911 [4]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos