Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:45 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 624 [10]
Given Kudos: 622
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Mannheim
GMAT 1: 560 Q46 V22
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2754 [2]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [2]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [1]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Re: Algorpal Industries produces high quality pneumatic filters. For years [#permalink]
Kudos

Official Explanation

The core of the consultant's argument is: branching into this new sector will bring new profits, profits to replace what was lost in the agriculture sector. The credited answer is (D): whether branching into this new biomedical sector indeed will replace the former profits.

Choice (A) raises a different question, profits from a third sector not mentioned. This might offer yet another alternative, but it's not directly relevant to the question: will entering the biomedical sector replace former profits?

Choice (B) might appear to be relevant to the question of profits, but suppose we knew the precise answer to this --- suppose we knew, say, that each farm had five machines and each research center had three machines. Then what? How many farms overall are there? How many biomedical research centers overall are there? We don't know, so we can't evaluate the question of total profits.

Choice (C) is an interesting distractor. Whatever a pneumatic filter may filter, it probably has something to do with air. Are these filters filtering ambient air in the room, or are they filtering some particular internal channel within the machine? We don't know, and even if we did, we would still be a long way off from deciding anything about profits.

Choice (E), like Choice (A), offers another option, another avenue that Algorpal might decide to follow instead of, or in addition to, the consultant's recommendation. The task here, though, quite specifically, is to evaluate the consultant's recommendation. How successful another avenue would be tells us nothing about how successful the plan recommended by the consultant would be.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Send PM
Re: Algorpal Industries produces high quality pneumatic filters. For years [#permalink]
I choose D because all other options are irrelevant. Please explain why D is correct?

In conclusion, the consultant tells that the decline in the profits could be reversed.
i.e the profits will increase. But answer choice D question the profits? Why do we question about profitability when the author has told that the decline in profits will be reversed.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 706 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: General Management
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Algorpal Industries produces high quality pneumatic filters. For years [#permalink]
vards wrote:

Algorpal Industries produces high quality pneumatic filters. For years, they have primarily served manufacturers of domestic agricultural equipment, and over time, this market has been decreasing. A consultant recommended that, with a minor modification, Algorpal could expand into pneumatic filters for biomedical research technology, a rapidly expanding market. The consultant argued that this single change could reverse a ten-year decline in Algorpal’s profits.

Which of the following would be the most useful to establish in evaluating the consultant’s recommendation?

A. Whether other markets, such as food processing and food service, would offer greater opportunities for potential profits.

B. Whether the number of biomedical devices at any single research center is greater than the number of pieces of equipment requiring filters on a single farm.

C. How the ambient indoor air quality in a biomedical research center compares to the typical outdoor air quality in an agricultural zone.

D. Whether the competition in the biomedical technology sector would allow for profits similar to what those in the agricultural sector had been

E. Whether countries with expanding agricultural sectors would use farm equipment similarly to the domestic equipment current served by Algorpal.

Day 23 Question of the Verbal Contest: Race Against the GMAT Club Timer
Please make sure to post a brief reply without revealing your solution to enter the contest!

The argument is based on the assumption that the new product will sell significantly on the new market.
Any option choice that will help answer the question: "will this new product's profits compensate for the loss in profits?" will be our answer choice.

All options are irrelevant except for D.
If the answer to D is YES then the argument is strengthened.
If the answer is NO the argument is weakened.

Hence D correct
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
mallya12 wrote:
I choose D because all other options are irrelevant. Please explain why D is correct?

In conclusion, the consultant tells that the decline in the profits could be reversed.
i.e the profits will increase. But answer choice D question the profits? Why do we question about profitability when the author has told that the decline in profits will be reversed.

I'm also having trouble understanding why D is correct. We are not told what the company's profitability had been.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Any other inputs to further clarify this?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts