Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 06:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Raised score from 700 to 760

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 0

Raised score from 700 to 760 [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2008, 10:48
This post received
KUDOS
I'm not an active poster but have been an active lurker and found the advice on this forum useful, so I thought I'd share my experience.

1st test (700):
I am an engineer and a native English speaker, so at first I wasn't worried about the gmat. I figured I could study for a week or so and go score over 700. I took the 1st GMATPREP practice test and got a 670 before studying at all. I then bought the official guide, worked through about 50-60 math problems (didn't study verbal at all), and took the 2nd GMATPREP test and scored a 720. So overall I spent about 2 weeks studying before taking the actual test, and got a 700 (Q46, V39). During this test, I realized I was far too slow at math, as I had about 30 seconds to randomly guess on the last 5 problems. I quickly did so, but this made me want to retake, so I signed up again.

2nd test study strategy:
For the 2nd try, I wanted to concentrate on speeding up in math and raising verbal a bit. So I bought PR's Crackin the GMAT, EZ Math Strategies, and MGMAT SC (based on everyone's advice on here). I also took a few of the math challenges on here. I read through all the books, and here's my 1st bit of advice: DON'T WASTE MONEY ON THE EZ BOOK!! It claimed to contain tips and tricks for quickly solving the math problems, but all it contained was common sense and a repeat of Crackin. If you only buy one book, buy Crackin the GMAT. It contains everything you need and frankly I found the EZ book and SC book a repeat of what was in there. If you are not a native English speaker, then I would go ahead and buy the Manhattan SC book since it goes into more detail than Crackin does.

So at about this point a hurricane blew through here and my test date got canceled twice (mid-late Sep). I rescheduled my test date for November because I needed to concentrate on 1st round applications. So I didn't get around to studying for this test again until late last week. My studying consisted of skimming over Crackin again, then re-downloading and taking a GMATPREP test. I got a 710 on it, and reviewed my mistakes and noticed that I made a lot of dumb ones. So I restudied exponentials and a couple other things and took the real test.

2nd Test (760, Q49, V44):
I think a couple things helped me do better this time around. 1st of all, I am not a morning person at all and took the 1st test at 8am. Not good for me. This test I took at 2pm and felt much more awake! 2nd, I took the breaks and brought caffeine/food to eat during, which helped me stay alert and concentrate. The math seemed easy, so I thought I was not doing too well (but I've heard similar stories on here). Did not get any permutation problems, which was a waste of study time! I did finish the math with about 20 seconds to go, so that was a nice change. I think the improvement was due to 2 factors more than anything else: 1) I quickly guessed on problems I either didn't know how to solve right away or I thought would take a long time to solve. I have learned to sacrifice 3-5 questions in the middle for the sake of winning the war! I did not sacrifice any of the 1st 10 problems, as I believe these are most critical to your score. 2) I used some of the backwards solving that is taught in Crackin. As an engineer, I am used to solving things algebraically, regardless of the time it takes. During the 1st test, I tried to solve everything cause I knew I could do it eventually. This time I caught myself about 3-4 times starting to write out equations, but then thinking it would be much quicker to just start with the 5 answers and work backwards. So be sure to do this to save time when u can, even if it goes against nature.

For verbal, I just tried to remember the SC rules in the Crackin and Manhattan SC books. The CR and RC questions I believe are common sense, you read the paragraph and answer the question. So I never studied or worried about those, although they can be tricky questions so just narrow down the choices and guess. But I would not waste time studying for CR or RC.

That was long but that's about it. A couple last points: I scored much higher on the 2nd test than I ever did in practice (yes I'm talkin about practice man, practice!). In a way I think I got lucky, and don't really deserve this score since I didn't really work for it or expect it. I really just wanted a 720. Anyways, don't feel like you can't outperform your practice scores. On any given test day, if you give 110%, you can pull off a miracle!!

Last point, I was very seriously considering not even taking the 2nd test (even though I had already paid and scheduled it) since I had not studied in almost 2 months, but then I thought what the heck. I guess the moral is don't overly worry about studying, just go for it and see what happens. I'm a firm believer in the brain can only cram so much information in at one time, so just cram the right stuff in and you might not need to spend 2-3 months studying. Use the GMATPREP tests to figure out what the right things are for u...

p.s. if you don't understand the practice quote above, go here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGDBR2L5kzI
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 185 [0], given: 0

Re: Raised score from 700 to 760 [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2008, 10:55
Congratulations on such an excellent score!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 1

Re: Raised score from 700 to 760 [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2008, 11:13
Wow,
760 is an awesome score. Congratulations and good luck for application and essay.
Which schools are you applying to?

Nobody dies a virgin, life screws us all.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Raised score from 700 to 760 [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2008, 11:31
Yeah the app and essay is the hard part. I hate writing essays!! I'm gonna apply to 4-5 schools in the 2nd round, all M7. It's all or nothing, I'm not spending that much money if I can't get into a top 10 school. We'll see what happens...
Re: Raised score from 700 to 760   [#permalink] 11 Nov 2008, 11:31