Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 10:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Random Rant...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Random Rant... [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2013, 16:36
Sigh..

I always feel great about my progress in GMAT preparation until I do a CAT..

For some reason, any time I go through exercises, everything seems fine, but then when it comes to test time, I get inundated with questions that blow my freakin' mind..

I've been studying for hours every day for the past 2-3 weeks, and taken a lot of practice tests as well. I'm trying to take every test that I can get my hands on, and just started my second cycle of tests. (Cycle = first test from each company I can use; I will measure progress based on improvements of scores within individual companies).

Anyways I consider my quant to be quite strong, but got 6 questions wrong out of the first 11!!!!! The rest of the section was alright, and somehow I ended up with a 50Q.

Verbal wasn't great, as expected, and I had a string of 7 incorrect answers near the end. I'm trying to make excuses, and attributing this disaster to a desperate need to pee.. (To those that say needing to pee increases accuracy: you are all crazy).

This test was with Master GMAT/Economist, and overall I'm just very disappointed that I haven't made any improvement, and got the same score as I did 3 weeks ago.

When I first started my prep, with 720-760 practice scores, I was very optimistic about starting at a good place, but now I'm starting to fear that starting at that point means I may not be able to improve...

I guess I'll just keep on trucking and hope that things pick up...

K rant over :)

KUDOS please if my post was useful!

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 124 [0], given: 80

Re: Random Rant... [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2013, 18:53
Quote:
When I first started my prep, with 720-760 practice scores

Quote:
The rest of the section was alright, and somehow I ended up with a 50Q.

Wait... you're upset? I mean, the GMAT is annoying as hell sometimes, but most of the people reading this would happily give their left testicle for a 720, and they might be willing to chop off their right ear for the privilege of scoring a 760. :stab

Have you taken the GMATPrep tests yet? When you're up in the 700s, a very small number of verbal questions might mean the difference between a 720 and a 760, and it's really hard to track those small differences in non-official GMAT tests. Frankly, none of the CATs out there are particularly accurate when you're in that score range, and I would take all of your practice tests (besides the GMATPrep) with a huge grain of salt.

If you're not happy with your GMATPrep scores, that's one thing. But I wouldn't freak out about an Economist or MGMAT or Kaplan or PR or Veritas or GMAT Club test score under any circumstances when you're already deep into the 700s.

It sounds like you have the talent to absolutely destroy this test, and I'm sure that you will. Keep us posted!

Helping students kick the GMAT in the nuts since 2002... www.gmatninja.com.

Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Random Rant... [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2013, 20:03
GMATNinja wrote:
Wait... you're upset? I mean, the GMAT is annoying as hell sometimes, but most of the people reading this would happily give their left testicle for a 720, and they might be willing to chop off their right ear for the privilege of scoring a 760. :stab

Are you implying that an ear is more valuable than a testicle? Hmm.. I suppose this would depend if one simply 'chose' to have the part gone or if one had to endure the pain of it being chopped off.

Anyways, I realize I'm fortunate and ahead of the game to start in the 700s, but it just upsets me that I haven't made any progress. To me, improvement is more important than the score itself, and as far as it seems, I haven't made any yet!

KUDOS please if my post was useful!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 124 [0], given: 80

Re: Random Rant... [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2013, 21:16
Lol! Yeah, I guess the ear vs. testicle valuation didn't make a whole lot of sense. I guess I was just looking for a gender-neutral body part for the second part of the sentence?

And I think it's pretty awesome that you're more interested in the improvement than in the score itself--that sounds a really healthy way to handle the process. (Much healthier than, say, lopping off a body part.) And I could be totally wrong, but the improvement might show up a little bit more clearly on the official tests. I'll look forward to the triumphant debrief sometime in the next few weeks or months... :)

Helping students kick the GMAT in the nuts since 2002... www.gmatninja.com.

Re: Random Rant...   [#permalink] 21 Jun 2013, 21:16