Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 18:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ranger: Higher than normal temperatures are to

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 14 Apr 2009
Posts: 1582
Location: New York, NY
Followers: 290

Kudos [?]: 664 [4] , given: 6

Ranger: Higher than normal temperatures are to [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2013, 16:38
4
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

31% (02:07) correct 69% (01:16) wrong based on 235 sessions
Ranger: Higher than normal temperatures are to blame for the decline in the Montana wolverine population over the past five years. Yet clearly, trappers have also played an important role in this decline. In the past five years, the number of Montana trappers and hunters claiming their capture or kill of wolverine has risen sharply. Wolverines, they claim, are particularly fierce and dangerous animals that eat about anything, raid trap-lines, steal food from cabins, and ruin remaining food and belongings with musk and urine.

In the ranger's argument, the boldface portion plays which of the following roles?

(A) It is the main conclusion of the argument.

(B) It is an objection that has been raised against the main conclusion of the argument.

(C) It is a judgment that the argument opposes.

(D) It is a finding that the argument seeks to explain.

(E) It provides evidence in support of the main conclusion of the argument.


Original Source: Practice Pill Platform
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________


... and more


Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)


GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

GMAT Pill GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 14 Apr 2009
Posts: 1582
Location: New York, NY
Followers: 290

Kudos [?]: 664 [0], given: 6

Re: Ranger: Higher than normal temperatures are to [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2013, 08:18
Expert's post
Here's a diagram showing that the bolded statement is the main point. Everything afterwards is just stuff that supports this bold statement that trappers ALSO caused the decline.

Image
_________________


... and more


Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)


GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 May 2013
Posts: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 16

Re: Ranger: Higher than normal temperatures are to [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2013, 21:24
Hi,
I am confused about the main conclusion in this question. I thought of decline in wolverine population as the main conclusion and thus answered E.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 Jun 2013
Posts: 7
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 46

Re: Ranger: Higher than normal temperatures are to [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2013, 10:06
I was choosing between A and D. However, I agree with prernadumca - I thought the decline is the conclusion.. A little confused..
4 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Representative
User avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2012
Posts: 346
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Followers: 138

Kudos [?]: 182 [4] , given: 4

Re: Ranger: Higher than normal temperatures are to [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2013, 14:31
4
This post received
KUDOS
prernadumca wrote:
Hi,
I am confused about the main conclusion in this question. I thought of decline in wolverine population as the main conclusion and thus answered E.


Hi - it's a tricky one isn't it?!

The way the question is written is that the 'decline in wolverine population' is not a conclusion - rather it's a statement the passage is trying to explain.

Think of it like this - anything that is factual (i.e. there are less wolves than before) is not an argument. Because it can not be disagreed with.

What can be disagreed with and hence is an argument is WHY numbers are down.

Look at it like this and it becomes clear what the answer is....
_________________

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0



... and more

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 May 2013
Posts: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 16

Re: Ranger: Higher than normal temperatures are to [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2013, 04:42
plumber250 wrote:
prernadumca wrote:
Hi,
I am confused about the main conclusion in this question. I thought of decline in wolverine population as the main conclusion and thus answered E.


Hi - it's a tricky one isn't it?!

The way the question is written is that the 'decline in wolverine population' is not a conclusion - rather it's a statement the passage is trying to explain.

Think of it like this - anything that is factual (i.e. there are less wolves than before) is not an argument. Because it can not be disagreed with.

What can be disagreed with and hence is an argument is WHY numbers are down.

Look at it like this and it becomes clear what the answer is....


Ya got it, it means decline is just a piece of information given in the statement. However trappers playing an important role is the conclusion and rest of the para is explaining the same.. THANKS..:)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Aug 2012
Posts: 42
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-16-2013
GPA: 3.5
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 11

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Ranger: Higher than normal temperatures are to [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2013, 10:32
prernadumca wrote:
plumber250 wrote:
prernadumca wrote:
Hi,
I am confused about the main conclusion in this question. I thought of decline in wolverine population as the main conclusion and thus answered E.


Hi - it's a tricky one isn't it?!

The way the question is written is that the 'decline in wolverine population' is not a conclusion - rather it's a statement the passage is trying to explain.

Think of it like this - anything that is factual (i.e. there are less wolves than before) is not an argument. Because it can not be disagreed with.

What can be disagreed with and hence is an argument is WHY numbers are down.

Look at it like this and it becomes clear what the answer is....


Ya got it, it means decline is just a piece of information given in the statement. However trappers playing an important role is the conclusion and rest of the para is explaining the same.. THANKS..:)


You can also look for key words and can sense the type of the following sentence. In the given Question, the phrase "yet clearly" gives us an indicates that the following sentence may be conclusion.
Remember, this is judgmental and not a thumb rule. You may want to refer power score CR bible to get more insight about the technique.
_________________

Regards,
Suyash

I want to live in a world where emails are short, love letters are brave, and every "Thank you" note is scribbled by hand.
GO GREEN

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 May 2013
Posts: 128
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 24 [1] , given: 110

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Ranger: Higher than normal temperatures are to [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2014, 05:48
1
This post received
KUDOS
can someone please explain why D is incorrect. 40% of the ppl have chosen it as answer.
_________________

“Confidence comes not from always being right but from not fearing to be wrong.”

GMAT Pill Representative
User avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2012
Posts: 346
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Followers: 138

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 4

Re: Ranger: Higher than normal temperatures are to [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2014, 09:56
Hi Ankur,

Sure, let me see if i can help..

D mentions a 'finding'.

What in the bold section:

Yet clearly, trappers have also played an important role in this decline.


Talks about a finding? I would say it doesn't

A 'finding' needs to be based on some evidence. There is none here. In fact the evidence follows this passage (the stats about the number killed).

Here then is the conculsion of the evidence, it's a little confusing because the conclusion comes first, but that's what makes it a difficult question.

James
_________________

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0



... and more

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Oct 2012
Posts: 24
Concentration: Technology, Real Estate
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 42

Re: Ranger: Higher than normal temperatures are to [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2014, 09:57
ankur1901 wrote:
can someone please explain why D is incorrect. 40% of the ppl have chosen it as answer.


I choose D because of following considerations,
1. Conclusion - the decline in the Montana wolverine population
2. Reason - i) Rise in temp & ii) trappers and hunters killing wolverine
3. Last two sentences provide explanation of Reason (ii)
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 May 2013
Posts: 128
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 110

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Ranger: Higher than normal temperatures are to [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2014, 04:13
plumber250 wrote:
Hi Ankur,

Sure, let me see if i can help..

D mentions a 'finding'.

What in the bold section:

Yet clearly, trappers have also played an important role in this decline.


Talks about a finding? I would say it doesn't

A 'finding' needs to be based on some evidence. There is none here. In fact the evidence follows this passage (the stats about the number killed).

Here then is the conculsion of the evidence, it's a little confusing because the conclusion comes first, but that's what makes it a difficult question.

James


Hi James, thanks for your response. After reading it, i did some googling to find difference between 'finding' and 'conclusion'. I tumbled upon the below article.
http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/in ... 334AAIuEh9

I think below can be classified as finding - let me know if its correct

In the past five years, the number of Montana trappers and hunters claiming their capture or kill of wolverine has risen sharply. Wolverines, they claim, are particularly fierce and dangerous animals that eat about anything, raid trap-lines, steal food from cabins, and ruin remaining food and belongings with musk and urine.

Below is conclusion :
Based on the above findings, author conclude the below.
Yet clearly, trappers have also played an important role in this decline

Hence A is the answer - now i get it..
_________________

“Confidence comes not from always being right but from not fearing to be wrong.”

GMAT Pill Representative
User avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2012
Posts: 346
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Followers: 138

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 4

Re: Ranger: Higher than normal temperatures are to [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2014, 04:19
Hi Ankur,

Yes - absolutely correct.

I'd offer some general advice based on what you mention in your post.

There are actually very few types of question like this using words like 'finding' or 'conclusion' etc. I'd learn them all.

This is the sort of thing that can be got from any GMAT prep book - or online course. Spend a couple of hours, it will help a lot

James
_________________

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0



... and more

Re: Ranger: Higher than normal temperatures are to   [#permalink] 20 Jan 2014, 04:19
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 A- the temperature now is 5 degrees higher than it was 10 rohansherry 4 11 Aug 2009, 07:20
The protein in rice is higher in quality than it is in rampuria 9 19 Mar 2009, 07:06
Oxygen-18 is a heavier-than-normal isotope of oxygen. In a SimaQ 11 05 Feb 2007, 12:09
Of the 500 temperature records, 76% are less than or equal KC 3 25 Oct 2006, 11:16
Oxygen-18 is a heavier-than-normal isotope of oxygen. In a rahulraao 5 11 Oct 2005, 16:07
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Ranger: Higher than normal temperatures are to

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.