Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 17:02 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 17:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3670 [22]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 912 [7]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: LBS '14 (A$)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Send PM
General Discussion
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3670 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Re: Ranger: Higher than normal temperatures are to blame for the decline [#permalink]
Hi,
I am confused about the main conclusion in this question. I thought of decline in wolverine population as the main conclusion and thus answered E.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Re: Ranger: Higher than normal temperatures are to blame for the decline [#permalink]
I was choosing between A and D. However, I agree with prernadumca - I thought the decline is the conclusion.. A little confused..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
plumber250 wrote:
prernadumca wrote:
Hi,
I am confused about the main conclusion in this question. I thought of decline in wolverine population as the main conclusion and thus answered E.

Hi - it's a tricky one isn't it?!

The way the question is written is that the 'decline in wolverine population' is not a conclusion - rather it's a statement the passage is trying to explain.

Think of it like this - anything that is factual (i.e. there are less wolves than before) is not an argument. Because it can not be disagreed with.

What can be disagreed with and hence is an argument is WHY numbers are down.

Look at it like this and it becomes clear what the answer is....

Ya got it, it means decline is just a piece of information given in the statement. However trappers playing an important role is the conclusion and rest of the para is explaining the same.. THANKS..:)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-16-2013
GPA: 3.5
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
prernadumca wrote:
plumber250 wrote:
prernadumca wrote:
Hi,

Hi - it's a tricky one isn't it?!

The way the question is written is that the 'decline in wolverine population' is not a conclusion - rather it's a statement the passage is trying to explain.

Think of it like this - anything that is factual (i.e. there are less wolves than before) is not an argument. Because it can not be disagreed with.

What can be disagreed with and hence is an argument is WHY numbers are down.

Look at it like this and it becomes clear what the answer is....

Ya got it, it means decline is just a piece of information given in the statement. However trappers playing an important role is the conclusion and rest of the para is explaining the same.. THANKS..:)

You can also look for key words and can sense the type of the following sentence. In the given Question, the phrase "yet clearly" gives us an indicates that the following sentence may be conclusion.
Remember, this is judgmental and not a thumb rule. You may want to refer power score CR bible to get more insight about the technique.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 255 [1]
Given Kudos: 109
Send PM
Kudos
can someone please explain why D is incorrect. 40% of the ppl have chosen it as answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 912 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Ankur,

Sure, let me see if i can help..

D mentions a 'finding'.

What in the bold section:

Yet clearly, trappers have also played an important role in this decline.

Talks about a finding? I would say it doesn't

A 'finding' needs to be based on some evidence. There is none here. In fact the evidence follows this passage (the stats about the number killed).

Here then is the conculsion of the evidence, it's a little confusing because the conclusion comes first, but that's what makes it a difficult question.

James
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 149 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Concentration: Technology, Real Estate
Send PM
ankur1901 wrote:
can someone please explain why D is incorrect. 40% of the ppl have chosen it as answer.

I choose D because of following considerations,
1. Conclusion - the decline in the Montana wolverine population
2. Reason - i) Rise in temp & ii) trappers and hunters killing wolverine
3. Last two sentences provide explanation of Reason (ii)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 255 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Send PM
plumber250 wrote:
Hi Ankur,

Sure, let me see if i can help..

D mentions a 'finding'.

What in the bold section:

Yet clearly, trappers have also played an important role in this decline.

Talks about a finding? I would say it doesn't

A 'finding' needs to be based on some evidence. There is none here. In fact the evidence follows this passage (the stats about the number killed).

Here then is the conculsion of the evidence, it's a little confusing because the conclusion comes first, but that's what makes it a difficult question.

James

Hi James, thanks for your response. After reading it, i did some googling to find difference between 'finding' and 'conclusion'. I tumbled upon the below article.
https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/in ... 334AAIuEh9

I think below can be classified as finding - let me know if its correct

In the past five years, the number of Montana trappers and hunters claiming their capture or kill of wolverine has risen sharply. Wolverines, they claim, are particularly fierce and dangerous animals that eat about anything, raid trap-lines, steal food from cabins, and ruin remaining food and belongings with musk and urine.

Below is conclusion :
Based on the above findings, author conclude the below.
Yet clearly, trappers have also played an important role in this decline

Hence A is the answer - now i get it..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 912 [0]
Send PM
Hi Ankur,

Yes - absolutely correct.

I'd offer some general advice based on what you mention in your post.

There are actually very few types of question like this using words like 'finding' or 'conclusion' etc. I'd learn them all.

This is the sort of thing that can be got from any GMAT prep book - or online course. Spend a couple of hours, it will help a lot

James
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
plumber250 wrote:
Hi Ankur,

Yes - absolutely correct.

I'd offer some general advice based on what you mention in your post.

There are actually very few types of question like this using words like 'finding' or 'conclusion' etc. I'd learn them all.

This is the sort of thing that can be got from any GMAT prep book - or online course. Spend a couple of hours, it will help a lot

James

I am little confused.second sentence has "have also".How can this be main conclusion?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 943 [0]
Given Kudos: 410
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
WE:General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
D is wrong because the bold face is not a finding. It is not some kind of evidence.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Schools: Kelley (A)
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V36
GRE 1: Q166 V157
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Hey,
Can anyone confirm what will be the main conclusion here.
I think it should be the boldface part just because there is a conclusion marker - 'Yet Clearly'
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts