Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 14:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Rank among Trans-Elite

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Rank among Trans-Elite [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2007, 18:45
Quote:
Emory
USC (Marshall)
Texas (McCombs)
Carnegie Mellon
North Carolina (Kenan-Flagler)

If one has to choose trans-elite purely from ranking and new career opportunities( MC/IB), who tops the list..?

Not to start a debate between X and Y, just want to hear the opinion of gmatclub ambassadors....

Last edited by Ozmba on 22 Jun 2007, 20:47, edited 2 times in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Rank among Trans-Elite [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2007, 19:18
Ozmba2006 wrote:
Quote:
Emory
USC (Marshall)
Texas (McCombs)
Carnegie Mellon
North Carolina (Kenan-Flagler)

If one has to choose trans-elite purely from ranking and new career opportunuties( MC/IB), who tops the list..?

Not to start a debate as X vs Y, just want to hear the opinion of gmat ambassadors....

I can tell you for sure that North Carolina is a notch above among these schools esp for MC....
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2007, 08:26
I would say UNC for both IB and MC. One important consideration when dropping below the elite level is location relative to the big employers in the schools region. For UNC, it is close to New York and Charlotte is a big banking center for the South with both Wachovia and B of A.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2007, 10:43
So, Carnegie Mellon's quant focus doesn't mean much?
VP
VP
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2007, 21:09
I would agree with the UNC perception here as the closest to the Elites.

Disclaimer: My perception is based on conversations with other people, other people's portfolios, stuff I read and, basically, guessing.

In my perception USC, McCombs and Emory are very restricted to their local areas (which isn't necessarily bad if that's what you want), while UNC and Carnegie Mellon are a bit less regional within the cluster. Between Carnegie Mellon and UNC, I consistently see UNC in portfolios from people who are aiming higher (suggesting that UNC would be at least acceptable to people aiming at Elites and hoping for Ultra - Elites) while I see Carnegie Mellon mainly being part of portfolios from people with lower hopes. Again, I'm talking about my perception and by no means do I have a representative sample or set of data.

Last, but not least, UNC offers financial aid to internationals without co-signers while Carnegie Mellon does not. IMHO, this particular fact is way more significant than anything else I've written. If market forces are working right, this fact means that international students have better odds if they graduate from UNC than if they do from Carnegie Mellon.

But maybe there are admits or graduates from any of these schools at the forum who would like to add their comments based on better data than my guesses.

L.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

[#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2007, 00:01
After I had an investigation last year and received an email from the Admission Office, there is a loan withour co-signer in UNC but not fund living expenses, it's probably changed since then, but it's definitely a very good B-school with a great academic program".

lepium wrote:
Last, but not least, UNC offers financial aid to internationals without co-signers while Carnegie Mellon does not. IMHO, this particular fact is way more significant than anything else I've written. If market forces are working right, this fact means that international students have better odds if they graduate from UNC than if they do from Carnegie Mellon.

L.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 74

Kudos [?]: 689 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2007, 02:53
UNC is probably the best choice for IB/MC. It gets some of the bigger companies to recruit there, it also has the advantage of having Duke right near by...its not far for a recruiter to travel a little to visit UNC after going to Duke.

Though CMU does seem to have students hired by top level MC companies. It is a school much like MIT that is full of engineers and IT people. A lot of that probably has to do with its strong reputation in those fields, it is one of the top engineering and I think it is the top Comp Sci grad school in the country. Something like 75-80% of their class comes from engineering/IT undergrad and that is probably why it is so quant heavy...the majority of its class already has extremely advanced math under their belts compared to a program that has people with english/history backgrounds.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2007, 19:58
I agree- UNC is probably the strongest of this bunch in these fields.
VP
VP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2007, 20:43
Hjort wrote:
I agree- UNC is probably the strongest of this bunch in these fields.

Thanks Hjort!!
  [#permalink] 22 Jun 2007, 20:43