Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 21:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ranked as one of the most important of Europe s young

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 11

Ranked as one of the most important of Europe s young [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2013, 18:37
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

86% (01:27) correct 13% (00:42) wrong based on 53 sessions
Ranked as one of the most important of Europe’s young playwrights, Franz Xaver Kroetz has written forty plays; his works—translated into over thirty languages—are produced more often than any contemporary German dramatist.
(A) than any
(B) than any other
(C) than are any
(D) than those of any other
(E) as are those of any

Above question is from OG 12 - # 99.

Can somebody explain, why use of ellipsis (in option B) is not permissible here? For option B, there is no ambiguity in comparision - because comparison between 'works' and German Dramatist is illogical.

Verbal Experts, please explain..
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 37

Re: Why use of Ellipsis is not permissible here [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2013, 18:52
Option B is wrong because it compares works with authors. You need to compare works with works of other authors. Even though it might seem illogical to compare works with authors, option A does exactly that.
Intern
Intern

Re: Why use of Ellipsis is not permissible here [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2013, 18:55
Ivan91 wrote:
Option B is wrong because it compares works with authors. You need to compare works with works of other authors. Even though it might seem illogical to compare works with authors, option A does exactly that.

Still, I am not clear why can't we visualize B as than (those of) any other
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 37

Re: Why use of Ellipsis is not permissible here [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2013, 19:03
Options A and B are in effect the same, they compare works with any (other) authors. We need to compare works with the works of any (other) author.

Than any other author and than THOSE OF any other author are completely different things. Again, "those of" changes everything.

" My books are different than any other authors" Doesnt sound good.
" My books are different than those of any other authors" Sounds good.
Intern
Intern

Re: Why use of Ellipsis is not permissible here [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2013, 19:21
Ivan91 wrote:
Options A and B are in effect the same, they compare works with any (other) authors. We need to compare works with the works of any (other) author.

Than any other author and than THOSE OF any other author are completely different things. Again, "those of" changes everything.

" My books are different than any other authors" Doesnt sound good.
" My books are different than those of any other authors" Sounds good.

Hi Ivan, thanks for the explanation..i do understand that 'D' makes sense because it compares works with works, But my question is Why ellipsis can not be used here? ..I am asking this question with reference to the recently published article by e-gmat...as per that article ellipsis can be used when there is no ambiguity in comparison..
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 8

Re: Why use of Ellipsis is not permissible here [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2013, 10:29
@piyush ask ur self what role does that word play in the sentence to which u have been asking (the word ) to get ellipsed ? "works" is a part of a subject !! right ? now ask ur self can subject of the clause be ellipsed ? the answer is no !! and hence u need "those"
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 240

Kudos [?]: 1171 [1] , given: 244

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Why use of Ellipsis is not permissible here [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 08:18
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I think the scope of the word ambiguity is over-stretched here; there is absolutely no doubt or ambiguity about what is being compared. Only thing is that you are comparing two unequal or different things. So when the comparison itself is flawed, ellipsis cannot be used.
Secondly the first arm, namely, ‘his works’ is a possessive noun; the second arm also has to be in the possessive with a noun with AN apostrophe or preposition such as ‘that of’ or ‘those of’
Ellipsis will be perfectly ok with B, if we can make a small change therein.
Ranked as one of the most important of Europe’s young playwrights, Franz Xaver Kroetz has written forty plays; his works—translated into over thirty languages—are produced more often than any other contemporary German dramatist’s .
Intern
Intern

Re: Why use of Ellipsis is not permissible here [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 17:00
daagh wrote:
I think the scope of the word ambiguity is over-stretched here; there is absolutely no doubt or ambiguity about what is being compared. Only thing is that you are comparing two unequal or different things. So when the comparison itself is flawed, ellipsis cannot be used.
Secondly the first arm, namely, ‘his works’ is a possessive noun; the second arm also has to be in the possessive with a noun with AN apostrophe or preposition such as ‘that of’ or ‘those of’
Ellipsis will be perfectly ok with B, if we can make a small change therein.
Ranked as one of the most important of Europe’s young playwrights, Franz Xaver Kroetz has written forty plays; his works—translated into over thirty languages—are produced more often than any other contemporary German dramatist’s .

Thanks very much daagh .. :)
BSchool Forum Moderator
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 137 [0], given: 95

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Why use of Ellipsis is not permissible here [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2013, 04:01
piyushm01 wrote:
Ranked as one of the most important of Europe’s young playwrights, Franz Xaver Kroetz has written forty plays; his works—translated into over thirty languages—are produced more often than any contemporary German dramatist.
(A) than any
(B) than any other
(C) than are any
(D) than those of any other
(E) as are those of any

Above question is from OG 12 - # 99.

Can somebody explain, why use of ellipsis (in option B) is not permissible here? For option B, there is no ambiguity in comparision - because comparison between 'works' and German Dramatist is illogical.

Verbal Experts, please explain..

Personally, the easiest way to get the split is looking at the meaning only rather than applying a rule. You can simply the sentence just to read the last part:

his works are produced more often ___________ contemporary German dramatist.

(A) than any - comparing works against German dramatists
(B) than any other - comparing works against German dramatists
(C) than are any - comparing works against German dramatists
(D) than those of any other - correct comparison between works and the works of any other German dramatists
(E) as are those of any - correct comparison

So only D and E are possibilities. Then E uses the phrase "more often as" which is not correct. Therefore D

*Updated 7th April*: Summing up my application experience: Lucky to be a Tuckie
Blog: http://domotron.wordpress.com

Elements of an MBA application series
GMAT (28/02) | Profile (11/03) | Networking / Research (01/04) | Recommendations | Essays / Online applications | Interview

My 710 (Q50, V36) Debrief + 740 (Q48, V44) Update:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/710-q50-v36-phew-i-m-done-with-the-gmat-probably-150067.html

Please share your profiles for this application season below:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/2014-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-162160.html

Re: Why use of Ellipsis is not permissible here   [#permalink] 13 Mar 2013, 04:01