Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 19:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ranked as one of the most important of Europes young

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
CEO
CEO
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 252 [0], given: 4

Ranked as one of the most important of Europes young [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2007, 08:38
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

73% (01:36) correct 27% (00:38) wrong based on 462 sessions
Ranked as one of the most important of Europe’s young playwrights, Franz Xaver Kroetz has written forty plays; his works—translated into over thirty languages—are produced more often than any contemporary German dramatist.
(A) than any
(B) than any other
(C) than are any
(D) than those of any other
(E) as are those of any
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 197 [1] , given: 0

Re: SC1000 #594 Ranked as one of the most important .... [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2007, 21:26
This post received
KUDOS
bmwhype2 wrote:
594. Ranked as one of the most important of Europe’s young playwrights, Franz Xaver Kroetz has written forty plays; his works—translated into over thirty languages—are produced more often than any contemporary German dramatist.
(A) than any
(B) than any other
(C) than are any
(D) than those of any other
(E) as are those of any

Knocked em all out to B and D. his works are produced more often than any other... any other what?

his works are produced more often that those of any other.

Go for D.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2007, 08:42
i say D. i think you need the "those" there to make it clear that you are comparing works between authors.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: SC1000 #594 Ranked as one of the most important .... [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2007, 15:39
Easy one ... D ... works of X are compared to works of Y
CEO
CEO
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 252 [0], given: 4

[#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2007, 22:27
OA is D
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 327 [0], given: 109

Re: Ranked as one of the most important of Europes young [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2011, 13:33
+1 D

However, I have a doubt. Does choice C have a Subject-verb agreement mistake?

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Sustainability, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.98
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 11

Re: Ranked as one of the most important of Europes young [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2011, 14:10
metallicafan wrote:
+1 D

C completely changes the meaning, as do A and B. All three compare the works of Kroetz with other German dramatists (not the works of other German dramatists), which is absurd.

Read it again, breaking it down slowly and you will see it.
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 327 [0], given: 109

Re: Ranked as one of the most important of Europes young [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2011, 14:47
alinomoto wrote:
metallicafan wrote:
+1 D

C completely changes the meaning, as do A and B. All three compare the works of Kroetz with other German dramatists (not the works of other German dramatists), which is absurd.

Thank you, but that was not my question. I understand the mistake in the sentence.
My doubt is whether there is a Subject-Verb agreement error in choice C. I think that "are" is also wrong.
What do you think?

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Sustainability, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.98

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 11

Re: Ranked as one of the most important of Europes young [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2011, 15:23
metallicafan wrote:
alinomoto wrote:
metallicafan wrote:
+1 D

Thank you, but that was not my question. I understand the mistake in the sentence.
My doubt is whether there is a Subject-Verb agreement error in choice C. I think that "are" is also wrong.
What do you think?

If you just want to boil down to S-V agreement then "are" may be fine as we are talking about "works" or may not be if we want to refer to "dramatist".

However, the S-V-A doesn't come into play here as the sentence construction is illogical and the sentence doesn't make sense. When a construction is illogical, as in A B and C, S-V agreement is pointless as the sentence in its current form just cannot exist, so obviously other errors will emanate from it. Meaning is just as important on GMAT as Grammar, infact more so. If you have 2 grammatically correct choices in your answer stem, you must look for the answer that conveys the meaning more precisely.

I don't know if I am coming across correctly. When the error is like this, SVA typically is not applicable as now your Subject or verb is wrong or misplaced in the first place.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 5

Re: Ranked as one of the most important of Europes young [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2012, 07:31
I chose D for this question:

This is a basic comparison between Franz's works and dramatists' works. Find the answer choice that compares works to works.

A. This is an illogical comparison - compares works to dramatists

B. This is also an illogical comparison - seems to compare works to other dramatists.

C. Not parallel and illogical comparison

D. This is the correct answer - "those" can be replaced by "the works." This answer choice indeed makes sense.

E. "More" must be followed by "than" in a comparison.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GPA: 3.28
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 72

Re: Ranked as one of the most important of Europes young [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2012, 08:05
Clear Answer D. No confusion here

If you like my post, Press +1 KUDO. It is the best way to say Thanks .

SVP
SVP
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Ranked as one of the most important of Europes young [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2014, 05:50
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Ranked as one of the most important of Europes young   [#permalink] 16 Jun 2014, 05:50