Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 19:23 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:IE
WE 1: IT Consultancy
WE 2: Public Gov Sector
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Schools:Ross
 Q50  V45
GPA: 2.7
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management
Schools:IMD, HEC
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Re: Ranks and clusterings of various International b-schools [#permalink]
bsd_lover wrote:
I'd appreciate some constructive reasoning behind any assertions. Please read page 1 of this thread where I outlined the reasons why I put schools in their respective buckets.

IMD is Ultra Elite for its:

1) International recognition
2) High rankings
3) Many applicants would prefer it over INSEAD (students accepted to both IMD and INSEAD tend to choose IMD)
4) High demand from employers. Recently I spoke to both IMD and INSEAD students on info-sessions. IMD students DO NOT worry that much about new jobs after graduation. Insead students still have to spend significant efforts to get their dream job.
5) Opinion of other guys on this forum. As you can see almost all (except you) put IMD in UE which is more than just a coincidence
6) Finance easily available at IMD for new students. This is a feature of only few elite schools.
7) Large alumni network. Doesn't matter that most of them are EMBAs- IMD specialize on executive education but all those guys are still within network.
Intern
Intern
Schools:IE
WE 1: IT Consultancy
WE 2: Public Gov Sector
Send PM
sanlitun wrote:
tmino wrote:
lonewolf wrote:
Looking into some b-schools around Asia since I want to work in either China or HK afterward.

Can anyone comment on the MBA programs in Tsinghua, CEIBS, HKUST, CUHK? Which one held more prestige and preferred by employers?

Thanks in advance.

p.s. Would also appreciate if someone can share some links/info regarding MBA programs in Asia. It is surprisingly hard to find accurate information online.

I just came back from an exchange at the HKU MBA. Had a couple classmates at HKUST and CUHK.

As to my limited insights: I've never heard of Tsinghua. CEIBS is quite good, probably much better than CUHK. But HKUST is probably the strongest program of all schools you mention. Quite good and demanding classes according to my classmates. As a comparison, at HKU we were able to choose from 8 electives for our term (many of which we already took in our 1st year as part of the core classes). At HKUST it was more like 30+ electives to choose from.

Tsinghua is famous in China . It's got that pedigree which I think CEIBS lacks and hence within China , Tsinghua will get more value than CEIBS. It fits exactly into regional elite category. BTW , if I remember correctly INSEAD has some tie up with Tsinghua for EMBA.

Well depends on where you wanna stay. Tsinghua is more beijing based whereas CEIBS is more shanghai focused. Tsinghua by itself is generally quite famous but if you talk about MBA program, i believe CEIBS has a better reputation.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Jiang wrote:
sanlitun wrote:
tmino wrote:
Looking into some b-schools around Asia since I want to work in either China or HK afterward.

Can anyone comment on the MBA programs in Tsinghua, CEIBS, HKUST, CUHK? Which one held more prestige and preferred by employers?

Thanks in advance.

p.s. Would also appreciate if someone can share some links/info regarding MBA programs in Asia. It is surprisingly hard to find accurate information online.

I just came back from an exchange at the HKU MBA. Had a couple classmates at HKUST and CUHK.

As to my limited insights: I've never heard of Tsinghua. CEIBS is quite good, probably much better than CUHK. But HKUST is probably the strongest program of all schools you mention. Quite good and demanding classes according to my classmates. As a comparison, at HKU we were able to choose from 8 electives for our term (many of which we already took in our 1st year as part of the core classes). At HKUST it was more like 30+ electives to choose from.

Tsinghua is famous in China . It's got that pedigree which I think CEIBS lacks and hence within China , Tsinghua will get more value than CEIBS. It fits exactly into regional elite category. BTW , if I remember correctly INSEAD has some tie up with Tsinghua for EMBA.

Just want to let you know that the 4 Asia business schools -CEIBS, HKUST, NUS and ISB are travelling to US and Europe together this fall to jointly introduce their MBA programs there. If you are interested in knowing more about programs in Asia, highly recommend you to attend any one of those events. They will be having presentation in QS's fairs in NY, LA, San Francisco, Toronto, London, Paris and Madrid.

There was a post by dzyubam with title: Top Asian B-Schools Join Forces
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
 Q49  V35 GMAT 2: 720  Q49  V39
Send PM
good post.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks! BTW, i am a new comer.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
https://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolra ... a-rankings

that has some interesting rankings for international schools... Is the ranking of UE-E only european schools because i think HKUST should be in Es...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I was wondering why theres not much mention about RSM and NUS around these forums. I was keen on getting to know them better. however most threads and most forums just give them a fleeting mention.

also am kinda new to this and have a rather odd WE background, so was wonderin you guys could gimme some advice.
i'll give u a short profile;
Male/Indian
graduated as a Marine Engineer with a degree from an Elite Indian Univ.
excellent acads. recently did a dry-run@Gmat after a 2 week prep and did 630 so no issues
thr will def push it up.

extras are also pretty decent. have been actively into sports in college and was team lead in various paper presentations. was the editor of collg. publication as well.

I always like to emphasise that am trained in a lotta extras like fire-fighting, First-aid and survival techniques......but thats because its part of my job to be trained in all these (they're pretty good actually and fun too)

Now comes the hard part....
My work exp by the time will be around 3.5-4 years by the time i apply.
and, I am serving in the Merchant Marine all this while. My job profile is ..well.. going away on large ocean going ships(tankers) and all engineering jobs on the ship (plus related admin jobs.)

I would say i have excellent "international" exposure because i travel to places....a lotta places.
get to exp a lotta diff cultures.

BUT that being said, is it possible for a career switch into GM/Cosulting? frankly i am well versed in my field an dont mind considering options in Commodities(Oil&gas) and Intl. trade.
But all one gets to hear in all forums is ppl going ga-ga over IB/Consulting and Trading :P
having a pure-technical WE is also an issue .... but maybe u guys can point out whether thats really a big issue?

Well...thanks :) and hope i get some help :)
cheerios
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
great collection of data
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Great post!!!!

But i am still concerned about IIMA and ISB not in the UE list.
One reason i see is less diversity in class, as it is more of engg's forte in india. And also less diversity in terms of international students attending(4%). But still i think it deserves Elites because of its higher international starting salary which is $110,000 (median).
and also its higher rate of employment which is above 90% at graduation, and aprx 100% at 3 months of graduation even in recession.
Also in FT's list only INSEAD, LSB, IE, IESE are above it except US universities.

Also if we consider its teaching style, it is case based (and i dont know why but always compared to harvard).
so i think they deserves UE in our list.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
rohits wrote:
Great post!!!!

But i am still concerned about IIMA and ISB not in the UE list.
One reason i see is less diversity in class, as it is more of engg's forte in india. And also less diversity in terms of international students attending(4%). But still i think it deserves Elites because of its higher international starting salary which is $110,000 (median).
and also its higher rate of employment which is above 90% at graduation, and aprx 100% at 3 months of graduation even in recession.
Also in FT's list only INSEAD, LSB, IE, IESE are above it except US universities.

Also if we consider its teaching style, it is case based (and i dont know why but always compared to harvard).
so i think they deserves UE in our list.

Actually I am of the opinion that IIMA and ISB when compared to other schools should come under trans elites. As you pointed out there is no diversity at all in their class. 95% are Indians and most of them have been doing back-end work of MNCs. Moreover IIMs have 40% people with no work experience at all !!!

The FT rankings are totally farce putting IIMA and ISB above IMD,Stern, Yale, HEC, ESADE and Kelloggs. Also I am not sure about the salary figures as ISB and IIMs are quite known for manipulating them. I know ISB pass-outs getting paid 600,000 INR as starting salary.

You have mentioned teaching style. Are you aware of it at other top 20 Univs ? If you are a pass out of IIM and went for summer exchange program, I am sure you would have noticed a huge difference in the teaching style. Students don't just work on case studies but works on live company projects.

ISB and IIM are at best rated as a top regional school..
Manager
Manager
Status:Preparing myself to break the sound( 700 )-barrier!
Affiliations: IFC - Business Edge, Bangladesh Enterprise Institute
Own Kudos [?]: 226 [0]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
[NEED SUPPORT; PLEASE HELP]

While choosing B-schools, should I also take care of the attached university ranking? Will it give me any further benefit?

For instance, UBC ranking as a university is very good world-wide which may give me an ultimate brand value while networking (though it's B-school is in the last quartile of Economist and FT ranking). Whereas, U of Western Ontario is pretty much unknown to the world as well as unranked university, and maybe has far lesser number of Alumni worldwide; but it's B-school students really have good avg salary, employment rate and such. And, Thunderbird is not at all under/with any university and run independently.

I have narrowed down my focus B-school list to 15 which are well fit with me as long as career, interest, mobility, teaching quality and facility are concerned. However, now I am planning to make the list even narrower maybe to 7/8. I want to choose a B-school with a good balance between university ranking as well as the ranking of the the school itself. But, I will leave this if B-school means B-school only, and university ranking and renounce has nothing to do with it.

Please, help which focus should be given more weight.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Here's how Global MBA Report calls it:

1. The London Business School, U.K.

2. Wharton University of Pennsylvania, U.S.A.

3. Harvard Business School, U.S.A.

4. Stanford University GSB, U.S.A.

5. Insead France / Singapore

6. Columbia Business School, U.S.A.

7. IE Business School, Spain

8. MIT Sloan School of Management, U.S.A.

9. University of Chicago: Booth, U.S.A.

10. Hong Kong UST Business School, China

Full reviews for each of these can be found here - https://globalmbareport.com/index.php/top10-global-mba/
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Concentration: General Management
Schools:St. Gallen '09
 Q47  V40
Send PM
TheStudent wrote:
Hi,
Generally, Germany seems to be a place where MBA´s are not as accepted or at least offered as in some other countries.

Spot on comment.

You should also consider WHU, Mannheim, and St. Gallen if you are serious about staying in the German-speaking region for a career.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
trader1 wrote:
TheStudent wrote:
Hi,
Generally, Germany seems to be a place where MBA´s are not as accepted or at least offered as in some other countries.

Spot on comment.

You should also consider WHU, Mannheim, and St. Gallen if you are serious about staying in the German-speaking region for a career.

The schools you mentioned certainly have a remarkable connection to the business world, especially St. Gallen and Mannheim.
Personally, I am aiming for a more international career though. In the German-speaking part of Europe I will apply to St. Gallen, Uni Zürich, WU Wien and as 4th priority Mannheim (bc I want to leave Germany for my Msc.)

Given that I am interested in a Msc. in Finance, these schools are very good choices.

Thank you for your advice though
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Is it possible to get the perspective of the admissions consultants on GMATCLUB on this topic?

I feel they are in a better position to comment on various factors such as caliber of applicant pool which may not be apparent to applicants.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: Rotman '15 Ivey
GMAT Date: 03-28-2012
GPA: 2.8
WE:Corporate Finance (Other)
Send PM
I would think Schulich and Rotman would have made it a little further than regional elite, especially Schulich.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Schools: INSEAD - Class of 2012
WE:General Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
IMD is a great Business School, but I still believe the overall opportunities provided at INSEAD/LBS are far better than those at IMD. Finance and MC advantage of LBS and INSEAD, respectively, over IMD are apparent. I will discuss the entrepreneurial/family business advantage that these school offer which I could have never gotten out of IMD. Over 70 nationalities represented in one class at INSEAD, one gets unmatched opportunities of generating market data, developing the global mind set which is essential for any start up. This data also help in gauging the utility of the entrepreneurial idea across nations. 50% of INSEAD alumni at some point of their life end up starting something on their own. So, the class in more open to exploring opportunities and additionally, it is fun to be in a class where almost half the people have a start-up idea at the back of their heads.

Networking opportunities that one can make most use of are provided by one's classmates. LBS/INSEAD are larger programs than IMD and hence, one's network grows immensely with time. 4-5 years down the line, one's classmates would be working in positions of importance in their respective industries, providing one with a much larger set of opportunities to exploit meaningfully the network. London/Paris/Singapore are the places to be if one wants to network.

In its domain, IMD is the best program but INSEAD/LBS are also equally good if not better in that domain. Over and above that industry domain, INSEAD/LBS offer something extra and this something extra makes these schools UE.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7