Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 15:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

rate my essay AOI

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

rate my essay AOI [#permalink] New post 13 May 2011, 07:38
Analysis of Issue

Although the redevelopment proposal for the blighted inner-city neighborhood has prompted criticisms from senior citizens, advocates of low and middle-income housing, and community residents fearful of inconvenience or even displacement, it promises to create not only a number of upscale apartment buildings but also numerous construction jobs as well.

Discuss the issue being considered and its implications. Develop an argument advocating whether or not the redevelopment proposal is a good idea. Explain your position using relevant reasons or examples drawn from your own experience, observations, or reading.

The problem of modernization of cities by removing old structures for developing new residential area is faced by a number of Old cities and the cities which are under development stage. This process of modernization is often crticised by senior citizens, advocates of low and middle-income housing, and community. Their fear is that once displaced from their original location, they wouldn’t be able to afford the new residential apartment. But their criticism is baseless because of several reasons.
First reason is that whenever people of any residential area are displaced for any development work, they are properly compensated. Also, if these people are displaced for development of high rise apartment, they can be given a residential apartment free of cost as compensation. This will inhibit all of their fears about loss of residence and financial insecurity.
Another and important reason is that such redevelopment of the city is necessary because most of the old cities are not planned properly and with increase in population and increased business activity certain aspects of the cities are to be improved and changed. Lets take the example of the Commonwealth games which were held in New Delhi in India. New Delhi was not in a good shape before CWG games, but for the games new roads were constructed, New fly overs were made, New apartments for participants were made. All these activities created employment for thousands of people, improved the infrastructure of the city, and improved the quality of life of the residents. Beside this example there are number of instance when such developmental proposal were strongly opposed by certain geoup of the society directly affected by the proposal
In summary, while there are arguments to be made for both sides of the issue, it is clear that there are much greater advantages to go for redevelopment proposal. Although it will cause some inconvenience to some people, but that inconvenience will be temporary. As the benefits of the proposal will be gained by the larger part of the society.
rate my essay AOI   [#permalink] 13 May 2011, 07:38