Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Jul 2014, 00:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Schools: NUS,Rotterdam
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2011, 05:44
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

36% (01:48) correct 63% (01:03) wrong based on 33 sessions
Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to see if he could reach India by traveling west.
Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to see if he could reach India by traveling west.

Rather than accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to see if he could reach India by sailing west.

Instead of accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus sailed west to see whether he could reach India, having been sent by the king and queen of Spain.

Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus sailed west to see whether he could reach India, having been sent by the king and queen of Spain.

Instead of accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to sail west to see if he could reach India.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 239 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: 700 questions [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2011, 15:10
+1 D

"if" requires a consequence: if he...., he (would/could/may...). A, B and E, out.

The GMAT prefers "rather than". C out.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE: General Management (Insurance)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 16

Re: 700 questions [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2011, 00:01
Why B is not correct? Pls explain. I chose B. B also has if..... could( Condition)
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 273 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: 700 questions [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2011, 00:10
We need and active voice here, and B does not have that.

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT Date: 10-01-2011
WE: Web Development (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 33

Re: 700 questions [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2011, 07:49
Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to see if he could reach India by traveling west.

Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to see if he could reach India by traveling west.

Rather than accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to see if he could reach India by sailing west.

Instead of accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus sailed west to see whether he could reach India, having been sent by the king and queen of Spain.
Awkward modifier with “having”; Changes the meaning in my opinion. Whether is better than “If”

Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus sailed west to see whether he could reach India, having been sent by the king and queen of Spain.
Awkward modifier with “having”; Changes the meaning in my opinion. Whether is better than “If”

Instead of accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to sail west to see if he could reach India.

In my opinion, B is the one with least problems, but I am not sure how awkward is the modifier with “having” in C and D. B is economically better than E. Also IMO "to sail west" construction in E changes meaning of the sentence a bit.

Can someone shed some light on the idiomatic construction of “Rather than accept” and “Instead of accepting”? “Rather than accept” just doesn’t sound correct to me.
Although I know "If" is a problem too, but I am not sure how big is it in terms of weighing against awkwardly placed modifier with "having".

If I look absent-minded or insane, I am just living a dream of being successful. If you still wonder why I am like this, you have no idea how success tastes like!

Intern
Intern
Schools: NUS,Rotterdam
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: 700 questions [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2011, 09:18
Whether is preferred when we select between 2 choices.

So any sentence with "If" is out here.

I narrowed it down to C / D.Can someone pls explain what is the difference between,

Rather than accept
Instead of accepting

though "accepting" sounds pretty correct to me.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE 1: Business Development
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 161

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: 700 questions [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2011, 09:49
Im with you on that accepting sounds better... doesnt it?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 7

Re: 700 questions [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2011, 18:39
Why not A? In D, it seems that India is being sent by the king and queen of Spain, hence it is an incorrect modifier.

If you like my post, consider giving me KUDOS!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.6
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 32

Re: 700 questions [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2011, 01:42
I too got confused between C and D, here is an explanation to this question

www[dot]manhattangmat[dot]com/forums/rather-than-accept-the-conventional-wisdom-that-the-earth-t1177[dot]html

(replace the [dot]s with ".", I couldn't post URLs as am a new member)

cheers
Mayank
My GMAT Journey: 720 + dare = 760

Retired Thread Master
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V32
GPA: 3
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Re: 700 questions [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2011, 10:09
'instead of ' is not preferred on GMAT- hence eliminate c and D
'whether' and not 'if' is required here as "saling west " is a choice and not a condition
my Ans- D (took 1:42 :( )
Re: 700 questions   [#permalink] 07 Jul 2011, 10:09