Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 17:52

Going on right now!

Live Q&A Session with HKU Admissions Team | Join the chat room to participate.

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2006, 10:26
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to see if he could reach India by traveling west.

A) Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to see if he could reach India by sailing west

B) Rather than accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to see if he could reach India by sailing west

C) Instead of accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus sailed west to see whether he could reach India, having been sent by the king and queen of Spain

D) Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus sailed west to see whether he could reach India, having been sent by the king and queen of Spain

E) Instead of accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to sail west to see if he could reach India

for every person who doesn't try because he is
afraid of loosing , there is another person who
keeps making mistakes and succeeds..

VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2006, 11:46
C and D left because of "whether"

I pick C, because "rather than accept" is awkward in D
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2006, 11:54
is it ok if the sentence change to "rather than accepting"
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2006, 13:04
u2lover, would it be incorrect to pick (D) as "accept" and "sailed" are parallel.
VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2006, 13:09
sperinko wrote:
u2lover, would it be incorrect to pick (D) as "accept" and "sailed" are parallel.

:yes would be wrong... why? try to reverse the sentence...

Columbus accept??? should be ACCEPTS... due to SVA
if it was an infinitive "rather than TO accept" (which I think 'accepting' is better because 1st part is a modifier to Columbus) then it would be a different story.
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2006, 14:37
Whats the OA for this?

Why is B wrong here? Please explain
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2006, 20:43
Me too.

I think GMAT prefers "rather than" to "instead of".
My two cents are on D.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2006, 06:09
Since GMAT prefers "rather than" to " instead of"
I caught between B and D.

I prefer D . can someone explain why B is wrong ?

Is it because of passive sent by ???
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 13

[#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2006, 09:14
Phew!! Tough..

Believe it's C. I think it was Columbus's belief that the earth wasn't flat and so he was not ready to accept it. So, instead of accepting the conventional wisdom Columbus sailed west (Active construction) to see whether he could reach india, having been sent etc..

It's still debatable whether rather is preferable to instead but somehow instead looks just fine.

Besides i think B, D and E have problems of their own - B employs a passive constrution (was sent by the king and queen) and also uses "if" where "whether" is more appropriate

D - I believe D has a problem of tense sequence ---- Rather than accept denotes something I will not accept but reject -- rather than accept is present tense so the phase it modifies should also maintain the continuity; you can't break into the past tense and say (Columbus sailed..)

It would have been correct if the sentence said - Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that .... columbus decided to sail west to see......

I am not 100% sure though.. I have taken a long shot here.. U2/Dahiya..please share your views..
VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2006, 10:32
I am still standing by C... please post OA before we forget about this question w/out knowing the correct answer.

I already explained that prior to Columbus is a Modifier, which describes him... and it is perfectly ok to use gerund in a modifier. I am 99% sure here.

D uses "accept" talking about Columbus... when Columbus is 3rd person and needs "s" for SVA... However, even with correct SVA the sentence wouldn't make sense and needs rearrangement. It seems like they tried to use infinitive in D, but forgot to put "to" in the front... and even with that it would be wrong because it wouldn't be parallel to "sailed"

I don't even feel that "rather" or "instead" plays a major role here.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

should be D [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2006, 11:06
i think the phrase 'rather not accept' is correct.
i googled on the phrase and this returned a lot many news sites which have used that phrase.

Some Fox affiliates walk rather than accept tougher deal
Rather than accept any trade offers, the Yanks release Tony Lazzeri

Also though m nt sure instead of sort of does nt give the choice to the doer of the action whereas rather than gives a choice to the doer of the action. Instead looks like someone is offering u a choice nd u r refusing it.
VP
VP

Re: should be D [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2006, 11:14
sangarelli wrote:
i think the phrase 'rather not accept' is correct.

where do you see "NOT" in any of the choices? :? there is no answer that says "columbus rather not accept"... :?:
VP
VP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

Re: SC : christopher columbus [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2006, 11:52
it should be D. "ratrher than" is better than "instead of"
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 139 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2006, 07:00
I`ve seen so many of these types of SCs :oops: all I can say is that 99% of the time the makers of the GMAT, for some strange reason, prefer rather over instead.

On T-day, I`d be selecting (D) here.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2006, 08:08
I selected C. but i think the oa is D.

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=26577
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 13

[#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2006, 11:33
Happy Ending..Lessons learnt?

1) "Rather than accept" is idiomatic

2) "instead of" is used for nouns; "rather than" is used for phrases (from the earlier explanation by hot face..this was actualy a nice one)

3) Whether is better than if (I wonder where "If" would be good)
  [#permalink] 09 Aug 2006, 11:33