Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 19:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2007, 00:58
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to see if he could reach India by traveling west.

A. Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to see if he could reach India by sailing west.
B. Rather than accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to see if he could reach India by sailing west.
C. Instead of accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus sailed west to see whether he could reach India, having been sent by the king and queen of Spain.
D. Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus sailed west to see whether he could reach India, having been sent by the king and queen of Spain.
E. Instead of accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to sail west to see if he could reach India.

"Rather than" or "Instead of"? :?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2007, 01:08
Are you sure you provided correct answer choices? I don't like any of them
Manager
Manager

Re: SC: Columbus [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2007, 01:12
[quote="ani"][u]Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to see if he could reach India by traveling west.
[/u]
A. Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to see if he could reach India by sailing west.
B. Rather than accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to see if he could reach India by sailing west.
C. Instead of accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus sailed west to see whether he could reach India, having been sent by the king and queen of Spain.
D. Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus sailed west to see whether he could reach India, having been sent by the king and queen of Spain.
E. Instead of accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to sail west to see if he could reach India.

"Rather than" or "Instead of"? :?[/quote]

All the choices look awful, but I will go for B

A-'rather than' + verb-ING
B- correct; however, I don't like t construction '..to see if he could...'
C-'rather than' is better than 'instead'. In addition, the phrase 'having been sent by' is awkward, the verb should comply with the one in the original sentence
D-'rather than' + verb-ING; In addition, the phrase 'having been sent by' is awkward, the verb should comply with the one in the original sentence
E-the use of 'instead of' changes the meaning of the sentences;
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2007, 01:45
E for me. In fact, all are wrong by GMAT standard because "if" is only for conditional clause in GMAT.

C, D: having been sent is at last. Wrong.

A: rather than accept is wrong. also by sailing west is not as good as E's.
B: by sailing west is not as good as E's. No problem with rather than here.

E is right.
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 13

Re: SC: Columbus [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2007, 06:59
ani wrote:
Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to see if he could reach India by traveling west.

It's D.

First - Rather than accept is idiomatic - so there's no need to worry about the ing form here.

Second - whether is almost always preferred to IF on the GMAT. If is used in cause-effect sentences. I will not come IF it rains.

Third - Between instead and rather - instead is used for nouns - I will take a pen instead of a pencil. Rather is used for phrases - He decided to fight rather than to sit.
VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 194 [0], given: 10

Reviews Badge
Re: SC: Columbus [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2007, 07:39
dwivedys wrote:
ani wrote:

It's D.

First - Rather than accept is idiomatic - so there's no need to worry about the ing form here.

Second - whether is almost always preferred to IF on the GMAT. If is used in cause-effect sentences. I will not come IF it rains.

Third - Between instead and rather - instead is used for nouns - I will take a pen instead of a pencil. Rather is used for phrases - He decided to fight rather than to sit.

"Rather Than" can also be used for nouns.

I bought a mountain bike rather than a ten-speed
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 13

Re: SC: Columbus [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2007, 07:52
goalsnr wrote:
dwivedys wrote:
ani wrote:

It's D.

"Rather Than" can also be used for nouns.

I bought a mountain bike rather than a ten-speed

I was referring to GMAT usage. Otherwise in regular english - it doesn't make much difference either way.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 194 [0], given: 10

Reviews Badge
Re: SC: Columbus [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2007, 07:53
ani wrote:

I think this particular SC is testing for the idiom " rather than accept".
Between A and D, I pick A because "having been sent by the king and queen of Spain" doesnot sound correct.
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 1

Re: SC: Columbus [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2007, 08:23
I think "instead of" is more appropriate here. The question is who did not accept the conventional wisdom. Was it Columbus or the king and queen of Spain? Seems to me it was the latter and E reflects that.
Anand
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 1

[#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2007, 08:25
hmmm...thanks for clearing that up... Dwivedys and goalsnr!

Anand
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2007, 09:38
First of all,it has to be rather than to indicate a preference on the part of Columbus...So C and E are out.
In A and B it is not clear that Columbus rather than accept did what??
I think its D...its a tough one.
Intern
Intern

Re: SC: Columbus [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2007, 10:20
dwivedys wrote:
ani wrote:

It's D.

Hats off to the explanation by dwidevys. The OA is D. :)
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2007, 18:50
Can't take the OA as correct. I gotta consider the question erratic.

"India, having been sent by the ..." has the meaning of India having been sent. The clause should not be at the end of the sentence to modify Columbus.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2007, 00:03
Not convinced.
Rather than accept seems wrong.
And sure it is tough but I think B should be the choice.
Manager
Manager

Re: SC: Columbus [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2007, 12:55
ani wrote:

My pick is B. I guess "Rather than accept " is wrong in A and D. In C "having been sent" looks incorrect .
VP
VP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Columbus [#permalink] New post 15 May 2007, 22:23
ani wrote:

lesson: we should use "Rather than" rather than "Instead of".
question: how is D correct with phrase "having been sent by the king and queen of Spain". "having ......" is not acceptable in gmat.

so I am leaaning towards E.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 May 2007, 01:28
[img]Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to see if he could reach India by traveling west.

"Rather than" or "Instead of"? Confused[/img]

Rather than accepting .just .sounds correct !!

A) & D) Rather than accept ( dosent sound rigth )
c) Wrong as it changes the meaning of sentence that columbus did not
accept something .

My choice was between B & E

My Answer : E ( "reason:was sent to sail west..seems correct")

Rather than / Instead of both seem to be ok .
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE: General Management (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 15

[#permalink] New post 16 May 2007, 07:30
i narrowed down 2 b & e but chose B.......
oa=D????
i dont like it........wot is the source????

Eat like a Pig, Lift like a Demon & Sleep like Dead.............

[#permalink] 16 May 2007, 07:30