Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Dec 2014, 12:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 0

Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2007, 19:19
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (02:56) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to see if he could reach India by traveling west.

(1) Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to see if he could reach India by sailing west.

(2) Rather than accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to see if he could reach India by sailing west.

(3) Instead of accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus sailed west to see whether he could reach India, having been sent by the king and queen of Spain.

(4) Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus sailed west to see whether he could reach India, having been sent by the king and queen of Spain.

(5) Instead of accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to sail west to see if he could reach India.

Please explain your answers.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2007, 19:42
I am not sure which one "rather than" or "instead of" is more idiomatic but i think C is the answer.
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 0

Re: MGMAT SC: Conventional wisdom [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2007, 21:06
eyunni wrote:
Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to see if he could reach India by traveling west.

(1) Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to see if he could reach India by sailing west.

(2) Rather than accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to see if he could reach India by sailing west.

(3) Instead of accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus sailed west to see whether he could reach India, having been sent by the king and queen of Spain.

(4) Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus sailed west to see whether he could reach India, having been sent by the king and queen of Spain.

(5) Instead of accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to sail west to see if he could reach India.

I'll go with choice D. "rather" compares verbs and "instead" compares nouns. D is active, B is passive.
Director
Director
Schools: University of Chicago, Wharton School
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 7

Re: MGMAT SC: Conventional wisdom [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2007, 22:16
eyunni wrote:

D. rather than is preffered over instead. in D, Christopher Columbus sailed properly modifies the introductory phrase "thaher than.......".
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: MGMAT SC: Conventional wisdom [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2007, 05:13
eyunni wrote:

between 'c' and 'E' .

Problem with identifying the subject. In C - Columbus is th subject and in 'E' the king.

Will go for 'E'
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2007, 05:44
I would go with E.

Even though "rather than" is preferred to "instead of" on gmat. INSETAD of is better suited here.

Explanation:
I think the "king & queen" instead of accepting the norm attempted to prove the accepted norm incorrect.

If I rephrase :
The king and queen did A instead of B (When they were expected to do B)

However if the king and queen has two choices A & B in front of them, both equally acceptable, they would probably choose B "rather than" A.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2007, 06:45
I think its 'D'

I am not sure about
In answer D what " , having been sent by the king and queen of Spain. " is modifying what?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2007, 07:42
Instead of - suggests that one person, thing or action replaces another. I liked Saviop's explanation!

Thus, I think we need " instead of" even though "rather than" is more often used. Between C and E, I would pick E because in C, I did not like " having been sent by the king and queen of Spain" at the end of the sentence.
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2007, 09:17
IMO, there are only two options: (3) & (4). The rest use passive voice. Although I prefer 'rather than', I thought it reqires a noun/noun phrase and thus chose (3). However, OA is (4).
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2007, 18:38
eyunni wrote:
'rather than', I thought it reqires a noun/noun phrase and thus chose (3). However, OA is (4).

Always:
rather = verbs

instead = nouns

eg.
rather than eat
instead of cars
again:
rather than drinking, he inhaled the wine.
instead of beer, I drank wine
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2007, 05:07
kidderek wrote:
eyunni wrote:
'rather than', I thought it reqires a noun/noun phrase and thus chose (3). However, OA is (4).

Always:
rather = verbs

instead = nouns

eg.
rather than eat
instead of cars
again:
rather than drinking, he inhaled the wine.
instead of beer, I drank wine

Is this wrong? "Instead of drinking beer, I drank wine."
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2007, 09:41
Whether is pefered over if. If is usually used for conditions. That eliminates A and B
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 0

Re: MGMAT SC: Conventional wisdom [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2007, 17:34
eyunni wrote:

I went w/ D, but I don't like it.

I elim all the choices that used accepting instead of accept.

so AD. I went w/ D b/c use of whether is preffered over "if".

What about the ending of D though? Doesnt this create a run on? end of D just seems so out of place.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2007, 10:16
GMATBLACKBELT,

Why did you eliminate all the choices that used accepting instead of accept?

Thanks.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2007, 10:27
Guys,

Wouyldn't you say that "rather than accept" is incorrect? it sounds very awekward. What's wrong with E?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2007, 13:40
michaelny2001 wrote:
Guys,

Wouyldn't you say that "rather than accept" is incorrect? it sounds very awekward. What's wrong with E?

Sure michael.....It is awkward. Till now I used to belive that when Rather Than is followed by a verb, that verb will always be in gerund form . Thats why I have serious problem with OA.

And one more thing,
Always:
rather = verbs

instead = nouns

eg.
rather than eat
instead of cars
....I seriously doubt that.
According to me,
Rather than - shows preference. This expression is generally used in 'parallel' structures. e.g - with two nouns, adjectives, adverbs, infinitives or -ing forms.

Instead of -suggests that one person, thing or action replaces another. Instead is not used alone as a preposition; we use the two words instead of.

So instead of is out and with it, C and E options out.
Apart from above mentioned problem with D, having been sent by the king and queen of Spain. seems really awkward.
I am amazed why nobody preferred B at although it sounds okay to me.
Recheck OA.
Manager
Manager

Re: MGMAT SC: Conventional wisdom [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2007, 05:00
eyunni wrote:

A does not use gerund (accept-ing) therefore sounds bad.

king and queen are the one, who did not accept the fact therefore after comma they should be treated as subject for proximity that removes C & D. Both C & D give the feel that Christopher Columbus is the one who did not accept the fact and that's not true.

E - Redundant to sail, to see - to see is enough here

My take is B.
Director
Director
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2007, 06:30
I will go with B

Lets see whether its rather than or instead of....

Instead of is used as preposition, while rather than can be used both ways, i.e. as a preposition and conjuction... This means instead of + noun is correct.

In this case accept is verb so eliminate instead of. Now we have a,b, and d.

eliminate d, as it seems christopher columbus has not accepted the conventional wisdom.

between a) and b) choose b, because it says the king and queen have performed some action by sending columbus, similarly, they have performed another action by not accepting...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: MGMAT SC: Conventional wisdom [#permalink] New post 20 May 2008, 05:31
A, B and E have issues with modifier 'Rather than accept(ing) the con. wisdom that the earth was flat, Columbus was sent by the king and queen'

It is clearly king and queen that are not accepting the conventional wisdom not Columbus. So, A, B and E are out.

Between C and D, I have never seen 'instead of' working when 'rather than' is also available as a choice.

D.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Re: MGMAT SC: Conventional wisdom [#permalink] New post 20 May 2008, 06:02
http://www.englishrules.com/writing/200 ... ead-of.php

The short answer is that in most cases, the two phrases are interchangeable, although "rather than" often has a more formal tone than "instead of."

The American Heritage Book of English Usage offers a much lengthier answer:

The phrase rather than consists of an adverb and a conjunction and often means "and not," as in I decided to skip lunch rather than eat in the cafeteria again. It is grammatically similar to sooner than in that it is used with a "bare" infinitive—an infinitive minus to: I would stay here and eat flies sooner than go with them.

Rather than can also be used with nouns as a compound preposition meaning "instead of": I bought a mountain bike rather than a ten-speed. But some people object to this use, insisting that than should be used only as a conjunction. They therefore object to constructions in which rather than is followed by a gerund, as in Rather than buying a new car, I kept my old one.

In some cases, however, rather than can only be followed by a gerund and not by a bare infinitive. If the main verb of the sentence has a form that does not allow parallel treatment of the verb following rather than, you cannot use a bare infinitive, and you must use a gerund. This is often the case when the main verb is in a past tense or has a participle. Thus, you must say The results of the study, rather than ending (not end or ended) the controversy, only added to it. If the main verb was in the present tense (add), you could use the bare infinitive end.

Curiously, when the rather than construction follows the main verb, it can use other verb forms besides the bare infinitive. Thus you can say The results of the study added to the controversy rather than ended it.

The overriding concern in all of this should be to avoid faulty parallels, as in sentences like Rather than buy a new car, I have kept my old one and Rather than take a cab, she is going on foot.

Clearly, it is grammatically defensible to follow rather than with a gerund, but if you prefer to avoid the controversy, use instead of with gerunds.
Re: MGMAT SC: Conventional wisdom   [#permalink] 20 May 2008, 06:02