Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 13:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2009, 16:41
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to see if he could reach India by traveling west.

A.Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to see if he could reach India by sailing west.
B.Rather than accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to see if he could reach India by sailing west.
C.Instead of accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus sailed west to see whether he could reach India, having been sent by the king and queen of Spain.
D.Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus sailed west to see whether he could reach India, having been sent by the king and queen of Spain.
E.Instead of accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to sail west to see if he could reach India.

My question is on alternatives c and d: "having been sent by the king and queen of Spain" is a misplaced modifier. Am I wrong?

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 13

Re: Christopher Columbus [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2009, 19:33
in both C and D Christopher Columbus is the subject. Both the first part and the last part are modifying Columbus in this sentence. C is wrong because of another problem.

D is the ans
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Christopher Columbus [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2009, 04:01
sher676,

but isn't the rule about modifier wrong in this case (modifiers must be as close as possible to the noun it is referring).

Shouldn't it be: Christopher Columbus, having been sent by the king and queen of Spain, sailed west to see whether he could reach India. ?

thanks.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Christopher Columbus [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2009, 04:10
tispot wrote:
Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to see if he could reach India by traveling west.

A.Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to see if he could reach India by sailing west.
B.Rather than accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to see if he could reach India by sailing west.
C.Instead of accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus sailed west to see whether he could reach India, having been sent by the king and queen of Spain.
D.Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus sailed west to see whether he could reach India, having been sent by the king and queen of Spain.
E.Instead of accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to sail west to see if he could reach India.

My question is on alternatives c and d: "having been sent by the king and queen of Spain" is a misplaced modifier. Am I wrong?

Thanks

Answer is D I believe.

"Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat" seems like it should be followed with ",the king and queen of spain sent Christopher...." because it initially seems it was them that were challenging the conventional wisdom.

That is not an option however - therefore if CC challenged the conventional wisdom it has to be C or D.
Between C & D - "Rather" is definitely preferred.

Perhaps "Christopher Columbus, having been sent by the king and queen of Spain, sailed west to see whether he could reach India."would be better.

actually probably not - in D - the person (CC) and the location (India) to which he has been sent to has been identified and then the modifier comes in.

-talent is the desire to practice-

Last edited by nightwing79 on 19 Jul 2009, 14:52, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 99

GMAT Tests User
Re: Christopher Columbus [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2009, 06:57
tispot wrote:

Thanks

I pick B.

'rather than accepting the conventional wisdom " is more idiomatic than 'rather than accept the conventional wisdom".

and 'instead of accepting the conventional wisdom" is wrong. 'instead of' cannot be used with verb form (or a clause).

So only B left.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 13

Re: Christopher Columbus [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2009, 07:33
tispot wrote:
sher676,

but isn't the rule about modifier wrong in this case (modifiers must be as close as possible to the noun it is referring).

Shouldn't it be: Christopher Columbus, having been sent by the king and queen of Spain, sailed west to see whether he could reach India. ?

thanks.

Rather than ...... is modifying Christopher Columbus. This is an adverbial modifier in which the modifier does not need to be close to the noun but the entire modifying phrase.

Look at Manhattan GMAT SC book on modifiers.
Director
Director
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 172 [0], given: 106

GMAT Tests User
Re: Christopher Columbus [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2009, 09:24
ugimba wrote:
tispot wrote:

Thanks

I pick B.

'rather than accepting the conventional wisdom " is more idiomatic than 'rather than accept the conventional wisdom".

and 'instead of accepting the conventional wisdom" is wrong. 'instead of' cannot be used with verb form (or a clause).

So only B left.

B uses 'if' instead of 'whether'

Also, 'instead of' can introduce the noun phrase as in the case of C.
check this: http://gmat-grammar.blogspot.com/2006/0 ... ad-of.html

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 99

GMAT Tests User
Re: Christopher Columbus [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2009, 10:25
sudeep wrote:
ugimba wrote:
tispot wrote:

Thanks

I pick B.

So only B left.

B uses 'if' instead of 'whether'

Also, 'instead of' can introduce the noun phrase as in the case of C.
check this: http://gmat-grammar.blogspot.com/2006/0 ... ad-of.html

I know I am going to pay for these kind of mistakes ... some times I am too quick to jump to a conclusion and make silly mistakes.
:wall
Director
Director
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 185 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: Christopher Columbus [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2009, 11:28
Between B and C. I have a tilt for C.

OA pls
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Christopher Columbus [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2009, 20:09
arvs212 wrote:
D>>>OA plz

Actually the more I think of it - the more I think answer must be C.

E.g

"He would rather do this than that." This suggests he still has not done that. It only shows a preference.

However "Instead of doing this - he did that" This suggests that he has already done the latter - which is more reflective of this question.

Ans C.

Intern
Intern
Schools: INSEAD

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Christopher Columbus [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2009, 21:16
tispot wrote:

Thanks

My first post @ Gmat club, i hope i get this right ;)
I this its D.
1. Rather than shows preference and Instead of forces a need for replacement. Since, here an conventional approch is compared to the alternate approch, rather than seems more convincing.
2. Correct use of modifier:

Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, *(WHO)* Christopher Columbus sailed west to see whether he could reach India, having been sent by the king and queen of Spain.

3. Whether rightly used as against if, whether shows a possibility where as if opens up space for a condition, if this then this, the then this is missing here...

---
_T
"You miss 100% of the shots you miss to take!" http://www.tarunarora.viviti.com

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Christopher Columbus [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2009, 23:12
Quote:
My first post @ Gmat club, i hope i get this right ;)
I this its D.
1. Rather than shows preference and Instead of forces a need for replacement. Since, here an conventional approch is compared to the alternate approch, rather than seems more convincing.
2. Correct use of modifier:

Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, *(WHO)* Christopher Columbus sailed west to see whether he could reach India, having been sent by the king and queen of Spain.

3. Whether rightly used as against if, whether shows a possibility where as if opens up space for a condition, if this then this, the then this is missing here...

Well thanks for details!
Can you please explain:
Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat
How the accept is correct in here? I am not able to digest it.

Last edited by sudeep on 20 Jul 2009, 00:10, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Christopher Columbus [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2009, 00:01
I was revising through MGMAT and came across the explanation:
When comparing verbs, “rather than” is the correct choice.

The original sentence contains several errors. First, the construction "X rather than Y" requires parallelism between X and Y, but the original sentence pairs an active verb ("accept") with a passive one ("was sent"). Second, the use of "if" in this context is incorrect. On the GMAT, "if" is used only to introduce conditional clauses (e.g. “if X, then Y”). Here, "whether" should be used instead of “if” to indicate uncertainty about reaching India by traveling west.

(A) This choice is incorrect as it repeats the original sentence.

(B) The construction "X rather than Y" requires parallelism between X and Y, but this choice pairs an active verb ("accepting") with a passive one ("was sent"). Second, the use of "if" in this context is incorrect. On the GMAT, "if" is used only to introduce conditional clauses (e.g. “if X, then Y”). Here, "whether" should be used instead of “if” to indicate uncertainty about reaching India by traveling west.

(C) This choice begins with "instead of," which is incorrectly used to compare the verbs “accepting” and “sailed.” When comparing verbs, “rather than” is the correct choice.

(D) CORRECT. This choice uses the construction “X rather than Y” to correctly compare the parallel active verbs “accept” and “sailed.” The uncertainty about reaching India by traveling west is correctly indicated by the word “whether.”

(E) This choice begins with "instead of," which is incorrectly used to compare the verbs “accepting” and “sailed.” When comparing verbs, “rather than” is the correct choice. Even if “instead of” were correct, the construction "X instead of Y" requires parallelism between X and Y, but this choice pairs an active verb ("accepting") with a passive one ("was sent"). Finally, the use of "if" in this context is incorrect. On the GMAT, "if" is used only to introduce conditional clauses (e.g. “if X, then Y”). Here, "whether" should be used instead of “if” to indicate uncertainty about reaching India by traveling west.

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Christopher Columbus [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2009, 00:11
nightwing79 wrote:
I was revising through MGMAT and came across the explanation:
When comparing verbs, “rather than” is the correct choice.

The original sentence contains several errors. First, the construction "X rather than Y" requires parallelism between X and Y, but the original sentence pairs an active verb ("accept") with a passive one ("was sent"). Second, the use of "if" in this context is incorrect. On the GMAT, "if" is used only to introduce conditional clauses (e.g. “if X, then Y”). Here, "whether" should be used instead of “if” to indicate uncertainty about reaching India by traveling west.

(A) This choice is incorrect as it repeats the original sentence.

(B) The construction "X rather than Y" requires parallelism between X and Y, but this choice pairs an active verb ("accepting") with a passive one ("was sent"). Second, the use of "if" in this context is incorrect. On the GMAT, "if" is used only to introduce conditional clauses (e.g. “if X, then Y”). Here, "whether" should be used instead of “if” to indicate uncertainty about reaching India by traveling west.

(C) This choice begins with "instead of," which is incorrectly used to compare the verbs “accepting” and “sailed.” When comparing verbs, “rather than” is the correct choice.

(D) CORRECT. This choice uses the construction “X rather than Y” to correctly compare the parallel active verbs “accept” and “sailed.” The uncertainty about reaching India by traveling west is correctly indicated by the word “whether.”

(E) This choice begins with "instead of," which is incorrectly used to compare the verbs “accepting” and “sailed.” When comparing verbs, “rather than” is the correct choice. Even if “instead of” were correct, the construction "X instead of Y" requires parallelism between X and Y, but this choice pairs an active verb ("accepting") with a passive one ("was sent"). Finally, the use of "if" in this context is incorrect. On the GMAT, "if" is used only to introduce conditional clauses (e.g. “if X, then Y”). Here, "whether" should be used instead of “if” to indicate uncertainty about reaching India by traveling west.

Great!

So, rather than (verb). Which verb form is used in here?

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: Christopher Columbus [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2009, 07:34
I initially did not agree with D because of subject-agreement (... accept ... sailed).

However, after a thorough search on the website, I found that D is correct.

"Christopher sailed west to see … rather than (to) accept"

So D is the best and OA indeed.
Re: Christopher Columbus   [#permalink] 12 Nov 2009, 07:34