Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 13:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Rather than bringing cash to school to pay for food

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 249 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Rather than bringing cash to school to pay for food [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2012, 05:49
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

73% (02:37) correct 27% (02:54) wrong based on 28 sessions
Rather than bringing cash to school to pay for food expenses, Kindergrade School children will now use
electronic cards that record students’ purchases so that parents can later be billed. The objective of
this new system is to provide children with cash alternatives that cannot profitably be stolen. To
ensure that the cards are worthless to thieves, each card will bear its owner’s picture, so staff at
cafeteria checkouts can easily identify stolen cards.

Which of the following, if true, would most seriously undermine the ability of the card system to achieve its goal?

A. As a result of the cards’ introduction, the number of students who purchase food from school
cafeterias is expected to increase.
B. The replacement of cash with the electronic cards will not allow any reductions in staffing for the
checkouts at the schools’ cafeterias.
C. Staff at the cafeteria checkouts know by name many of the students who regularly use the cafeteria,
and the cards will bear the owner’s name as well as his or her picture.
D. The cost to the school system of issuing the cards and installing the checkout machines to read them will
be covered by the savings arising from no longer needing to handle cash.
E. The companies operating vending machines in the schools are adapting their machines so that the electronic
cards can be used for purchases.

OA
[Reveal] Spoiler:
after discussions.

KUDOS me if you feel my contribution has helped you.

Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 659 [0], given: 116

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Rather than bringing cash to school [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2012, 08:27
Answer should be E. Vending machines would not be able to recognize the user from pictures on the card and hence would allow the usage of stolen cards.

Kudos Please... If my post helped.

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Rather than bringing cash to school [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2012, 13:21
C says (i) staff know many of the students by name, and (ii) the cards bear names and pictures
of the owner. Isn't this factor enough to undermine the ability of the card to achieve its goal?
D: talks about costs Vs benefits to the school authority- the initiator of the project. Its is a very
important factor; otherwise, the school will run at a lose.
E: Of course, the vending machines ought be useful for card operation.

In all C, D, and E remain potential contenders. Can someone provide insight as to which is the best
of the 3?

Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 659 [0], given: 116

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Rather than bringing cash to school [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2012, 20:09
gmatbull wrote:
C says (i) staff know many of the students by name, and (ii) the cards bear names and pictures
of the owner. Isn't this factor enough to undermine the ability of the card to achieve its goal?
D: talks about costs Vs benefits to the school authority- the initiator of the project. Its is a very
important factor; otherwise, the school will run at a lose.
E: Of course, the vending machines ought be useful for card operation.

In all C, D, and E remain potential contenders. Can someone provide insight as to which is the best
of the 3?

C can actually be used to strengthen the argument. If the staff know the names of the students, it provides even more safety against thieves as stolen card cannot be used.
D The cost implications are not within the scope of the argument. The main concern is to protect the kids from theft.

So E is the best answer.

Kudos Please... If my post helped.

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 8

Reviews Badge
Re: Rather than bringing cash to school [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2012, 20:33
gmatbull wrote:
Rather than bringing cash to school to pay for food expenses, Kindergrade School children will now use
electronic cards that record students’ purchases so that parents can later be billed. The objective of
this new system is to provide children with cash alternatives that cannot profitably be stolen. To
ensure that the cards are worthless to thieves, each card will bear its owner’s picture, so staff at
cafeteria checkouts can easily identify stolen cards.

Which of the following, if true, would most seriously undermine the ability of the card system to achieve its goal?

A. As a result of the cards’ introduction, the number of students who purchase food from school
cafeterias is expected to increase.
B. The replacement of cash with the electronic cards will not allow any reductions in staffing for the
checkouts at the schools’ cafeterias.
C. Staff at the cafeteria checkouts know by name many of the students who regularly use the cafeteria,
and the cards will bear the owner’s name as well as his or her picture.
D. The cost to the school system of issuing the cards and installing the checkout machines to read them will
be covered by the savings arising from no longer needing to handle cash.
E. The companies operating vending machines in the schools are adapting their machines so that the electronic
cards can be used for purchases.

OA
[Reveal] Spoiler:
after discussions.

E for me.
A - strengthening the conclusion and also sounds irrelevant to the issue at stake (which is less money stolen from kids).
B - irrelevant. We don't care how this change impacts staff (only kids).
C - irrelevant at the same time strengthening the conclusion with the assumption that the new cards will have names and staff can confirm that the picture corresponds to the name, as well.
D - Out of scope. We don't care about cost imposed on the school. Even if we did and it cost too much, it still does not weaken the conclusion directly that the plan will fail.
E - CORRECT. If vending machines are incompatible with the new cards, then purchases cannot be tracked. This means that cards are useless, which means that issue of using cash still exists. Hence, plan fails.
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 127

Kudos [?]: 597 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Rather than bringing cash to school [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2012, 21:19
Expert's post
+1 E.
Since the companies operating vending machines in the schools are adapting their machines so that the electronic
cards can be used for purchases, so it seems that the operating machines are just like the ATMs, its cards so designed that there is no need of any recognition. Just swipe and voila.
Anyways, if there is no need of any picture or name by the machines, which are used for purchasing purposes, then quite certainly there will be an increase in the number of stolen cards.
Hope that helps.
-s

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Rather than bringing cash to school [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 01:36
Yes, the objective does not focus on the benefits to the school authority.
So, D should be out.

What does the statement mean:
"to provide children with a cash substitute that CANNOT PROFITABLY be stolen"

Why do you think
[Reveal] Spoiler:
C
is wrong?
If staffs are unable to recognize students based on the pics + names match, won't that be a problem?

Meanwhile, OA is
[Reveal] Spoiler:
E

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 8

Reviews Badge
Re: Rather than bringing cash to school [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 02:30
gmatbull wrote:
So, D should be out.

Why do you think
[Reveal] Spoiler:
C
is wrong?
If staffs are unable to recognize students based on the pics + names match, won't that be a problem?

Meanwhile, OA is
[Reveal] Spoiler:
E

The way I interpret "to provide children with a cash substitute that CANNOT PROFITABLY be stolen" is someone's misfortune becomes someone else's fortune. So, in context someone (a kid) that steals from (another) kid profits off of that kid. The purpose of the cards is so that even if stolen the card serves no good to the person who stole it (ie. no profitability).

In C, there is no requirement (it is not part of the goal) for the card to display a name. Therefore this answer becomes out of scope.
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Rather than bringing cash to school [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 02:33
Expert's post
gmatbull wrote:
So, D should be out.

Why do you think
[Reveal] Spoiler:
C
is wrong?

Meanwhile, OA is
[Reveal] Spoiler:
E

Hii Gmatbull.
To answer your last question, the keyword is "many" in option C. Since the staff members know many of the students by their name, it will be very difficult for thieves to get away with purchases because there is a high chance that they will be caught.

Now the answer to your first question is, IMO, that the stolen card may not yield profit to the thieves. This is what I feel and certainly should be in IMO.

Hope that helps.
-s

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Rather than bringing cash to school [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 11:42
per option C:
(i) I agree staffs do not need to know students by name; just picture.
(ii) the stem does not provide for cards to have kids' names.

It was an interesting question though and am sure a good number of us
(myself especially) benefited from the discussions thereof.

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Rather than bringing cash to school [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 12:01
Expert's post
Keep up the good work bull.
Mutually helping each other can help us destroy the verbal.

Rules For Posting

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 38

Re: Rather than bringing cash to school [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 16:18
Come on guys, how can E be correct ? Since companies are adapting vending machines, we can infer that the vending machine will also be able to recognize the cards. This should actually support the argument, not undermine it..
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Rather than bringing cash to school [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 21:44
Expert's post
Ivan91 wrote:
Come on guys, how can E be correct ? Since companies are adapting vending machines, we can infer that the vending machine will also be able to recognize the cards. This should actually support the argument, not undermine it..

How did you make an inference from nowhere?
Just stick with the information that is given.

Rules For Posting

Re: Rather than bringing cash to school   [#permalink] 31 Oct 2012, 21:44