Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 10:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Rather than vs Instead of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 4

Rather than vs Instead of [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2009, 20:59
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (01:21) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
Hi Folks,
Recently I encountered a problem with using between Rather than vs instead of(problem from OG and I hit snag in one of the MGMAT test). So can anyone explain the difference in usage between -
Instead of
Rather than

What I am looking is kinda more subtle difference, when you can use instead of and when you can use rather than.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 200 [0], given: 9

Re: Rather than vs Instead of [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2009, 23:44
IMO in GMAT rather than is normally preferred. However there should be another reason in the answer choices to solve the problem. In other words the difference between rather than and instead of is not the main issue in the problem and you should be able to find other errors in the answer choices that make you pick the correct answer.

Regarding the difference between both idioms this is what I have in my notes.

Rather than can be follow by clauses whereas instead of should be only follow by nouns. According to this rule you could say

I live [in the mountains] rather than [in the city] correct
I live [in the mountains] instead of [in the city] Incorrect in the city is not a noun but rather a prepositional phrase

I think this is how GMAT treats the differences between these idioms. Other authorities say that you can use instead of with clauses. Perhaps an expert can bring some light on this issue
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 407 [1] , given: 56

Re: Rather than vs Instead of [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2009, 02:38
This post received
KUDOS
Rather than shows a judgment. One choice is preferred over the other. It is better somehow.
Instead of merely expresses a replacement of one thing for another.

Example:
I would rather have ice cream than apple pie because I like ice cream better.
But if there weren't very much ice cream left, and I wanted to save some for tomorrow, I might have apple pie instead of ice cream tonight.

ISB 2011-12 thread | Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB
All information related to Indian candidates and B-schools | Indian B-schools accepting GMAT scores
Self evaluation for Why MBA?

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 246 [1] , given: 22

Re: Rather than vs Instead of [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2009, 03:13
This post received
KUDOS
IN GMAT RATHER THAN USED BETWEEN TWO VERBS(ACTIONS, PHRASES), INSTEAD OF USED BETWEEN TWO NOUNS. THIS IS WHAT IN GMAT I HAVE SEEN SO FAR. THE NORMAL ENGLISH USUAGE IS DIFFERENT. BUT NO DEFINITE HARD RULE, PLEASE POST THE SENTENCE , IT WOULD BE HELPFUL.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA L3 Candidate, Grad w/ Highest Honors
Schools: Chicago Booth R2 (WL), Wharton R2 w/ int, Kellogg R2 w/ int
WE 1: Global Operations (Futures & Portfolio Financing) - Hedge Fund ($10bn+ Multi-Strat)
WE 2: Investment Analyst (Credit strategies) - Fund of Hedge Fund ($10bn+ Multi-Strat)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 9

Re: Rather than vs Instead of [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2009, 13:30
In commercial garment construction, one advantage of serging over single-needle sewing is that the seam allowance is overcast as the seam is sewn instead of a separate process requiring deeper seam allowances.

A. instead of
B. rather than in
C. in contrast with
D. as opposed to
E. as against being done in

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
B. rather than in
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.76
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: Rather than vs Instead of [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2012, 09:36
Rather than - shows preference. This expression is generally used in 'parallel' structures. e.g - with two nouns, adjectives, adverbs, infinitives or -ing forms.

e.g

1). We ought to invest in shares rather than Gold.
2). I prefer starting early rather than leaving things to the last minute.

When the main clause has a to - infinitive, rather than is usually followed by an infinitive without to or -ing form.

e.g - They have elected to write rather than phone/phoning.

Instead of - suggests that one person, thing or action replaces another. Instead is not used alone as a preposition; we use the two words instead of.
Instead of is not usually followed by an infinitive.

e.g

1). I'll have tea instead of coffee, please.
2). I stayed in bed all day instead of going to work.
3). Amit was invited to the reception, but he was ill, so Akash went instead of him.

Note - Instead (without of) is an adverb. It begins or ends a clause usually.

e.g - She didn't go to Greece after all. Instead , she went to America.

NOTE :
Usage --- instead of + noun phrase. Instead of is only a preposition and can introduce only a phrase i.e no verb
Usage --- rather than + verb (or) rather than + noun. Further rather than can act as a preposition and can introduce a prepositional phrase or can act as a conjunction and introduce a clause .....

P.S. I took idea from another forum post

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. ... T.S. Eliot

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 218

Kudos [?]: 329 [1] , given: 5

Re: Rather than vs Instead of [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2012, 11:30
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
robertrdzak wrote:
In commercial garment construction, one advantage of serging over single-needle sewing is that the seam allowance is overcast as the seam is sewn instead of a separate process requiring deeper seam allowances.

A. instead of
B. rather than in
C. in contrast with
D. as opposed to
E. as against being done in

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
B. rather than in

Another reason why correct GMAT answers use "rather than" over "instead of" is the ability to use a preposition after "than" where you can't add a preposition after "of". You see in the example above you need that preposition "in" before "a separate process..." to maintain parallelism and proper meaning - "as the seam is sewn....in a separate process". Answer choice B correctly uses that construction.

The issue above along with the meaning points cited earlier explain why the GMAT has a strong, strong preference towards "rather than" on SC.

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

SVP
SVP
Followers: 266

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Rather than vs Instead of [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2014, 11:04
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Rather than vs Instead of   [#permalink] 14 Jul 2014, 11:04