Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 13:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ravi: The highest priority should be given to the needs of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 7

Ravi: The highest priority should be given to the needs of [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2011, 19:38
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

47% (01:53) correct 53% (01:21) wrong based on 19 sessions
Ravi: The highest priority should be given to the needs of the sales dept., because without successful sales the company as a whole would fail.

Ed: There are several departments other than sales that must also function successfully for the company to succeed. It is impossible to give the highest priority to all of them.

Ed criticizes Ravi's argument by pointing out:

A. That the sales department taken by itself is not critical to the company's success as a whole.
B. The ambiguity of term "highest priority".
C. That the departments other than sales are more vital to the company's success.
D. An absurd consequence of its apparent assumption that a department's necessity earns it the highest priority.
E. That Ravi makes a generalization from an atypical case.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

I chose E, can anyone explain both of them for me? I'm getting confused about the necessity earns in choice D.

Thanks,

Yvonne
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Yvonne Hao

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: HBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 118 [1] , given: 13

Re: Ed criticizes Ravi's argument [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2011, 20:02
This post received
KUDOS
A. That the sales department taken by itself is not critical to the company's success as a whole.Ed never says that the sales deptt is not critcal to company's success. He just says that there are other such departments which might be equally critical
B. The ambiguity of term "highest priority".We cant say that - Highest priority is not being questiones- Ed never argues what Ravi means by highest priority
C. That the departments other than sales are more vital to the company's success.Doesnt say more- he says they are 'also' necessary
D. An absurd consequence of its apparent assumption that a department's necessity earns it the highest priority.Correct option - Just because a deptt is necessary doesnt mean that it gets highest prioirty. By that logic- Ed's argument explains- there would be multiple deptts which will nee to be given 'highest' priority- an absurdity which cannot be reaslised.
E. That Ravi makes a generalization from an atypical case.Ravi is not making any generalization - Ravi is very clearly and specifically arguing the case for Sales deptt only (that it should be given highest prioirty) Ravi would have been generalising if he would have said something like most critical deptt should be given highest prioirty, for example...etc. that is when he would have given a conclusion on the basis of a single case/example. This doesnt happen in the sentence..
Director
Director
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: Ed criticizes Ravi's argument [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2011, 21:47
This is LSAT pattern. Critical does not mean highest. If it does the "priority" looses meaning since all be highest priority.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Re: Ed criticizes Ravi's argument   [#permalink] 10 Apr 2011, 21:47