Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Jul 2014, 16:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ravi: The highest priority should be given to the needs of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 100 [1] , given: 136

Ravi: The highest priority should be given to the needs of [#permalink] New post 08 May 2012, 07:24
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

49% (02:12) correct 51% (01:06) wrong based on 144 sessions
Ravi:
The highest priority should be given to the needs of the sales department, because without successful sales the company as a whole would fail.
Ed:
There are several departments other than sales that must also function successfully for the company to succeed. It is impossible to give the highest priority to all of them

Ed criticizes Ravi's argument by pointing out:

A) That the sales department taken by itself is not critical to the company's success as a whole.
B) The ambiguity of the term "Highest Priority"
C) That the department other than sales are more vital to the company's success.
D) An absurd consequence of its apparent assumption that a department's necessity earns it the highest priority
E) That Ravi makes a generalization from an atypical case.

This one is from Challenging Sets.

Request you to clear the following doubts

1- I narrowed down to A and D and then finally chose A, however it is incorrect. Can we negate the option A on the basis that option A is focusing on Subject Matter not on Argumentative Technique

2- I adopted the similar strategy to the question posted here-
mr-janeck-i-don-t-believe-stevenson-will-win-the-election-90932.html

However, answer turned out to be incorrect. I asked myself what question could have Ravi posted for which Ed providing an answer.
So, the answer turned out to be. i.e Ravi could have posted this question -
Sales department must function successfully for the company to succeed. Hence, it should be given highest priority.
This is what the answer A speaks.

Please let me know where I am going wrong.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

+1 Kudos me, Help me unlocking GMAT Club Tests

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1035

Kudos [?]: 4515 [3] , given: 162

Re: Method of Reasoning [#permalink] New post 08 May 2012, 09:28
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
imhimanshu wrote:
Ravi:
The highest priority should be given to the needs of the sales department, because without successful sales the company as a whole would fail.
Ed:
There are several departments other than sales that must also function successfully for the company to succeed. It is impossible to give the highest priority to all of them

A) That the sales department taken by itself is not critical to the company's success as a whole.
C) That the department other than sales are more vital to the company's success.
D) An absurd consequence of its apparent assumption that a department's necessity earns it the highest priority

1- I narrowed down to A and D and then finally chose A, however it is incorrect. Can we negate the option A on the basis that option A is focusing on Subject Matter not on Argumentative Technique

However, answer turned out to be incorrect. I asked myself what question could have Ravi posted for which Ed providing an answer.
Sales department must function successfully for the company to succeed. Hence, it should be given highest priority.

Why is (A) wrong?

The question stem asks you the method used by Ed to criticize Ravi. How did Ed criticize Ravi? Did he question Ravi's premises? Did he point out an assumption? Let's find out.

Ravi says that the sales dept MUST function properly for the company to succeed so it should get the highest priority.
Ed says that many other depts MUST function properly too for the company to succeed. You can't give highest priority to all.

Ed doesn't say that the sales dept is not critical. He only says that there are other depts too which are critical. Ravi made an assumption: If a dept is critical, it should be given the highest priority.
Ed points out the absurd consequence of this assumption: Since there are many depts which are critical, this would mean that all of them should be given highest priority. That's not possible. That's how he criticizes Ravi's statement.

The 'Mr Janeck question' is quite different. It asks you for Ms S's interpretation of Mr J's remark. This question asks you for the method used by Ed to weaken Ravi's argument.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 136

Re: Method of Reasoning [#permalink] New post 09 May 2012, 04:14
Thanks Karishma for the explanation. I can see why the Answer A is wrong, however I am still not sure whether I will be picking up D if this question comes up in exam as Answer choice A is artistically created... its so tempting to go for A... :-D
I would like to ask what strategy do you adopt for such question.. do you paraphrase before moving to answer choices or do you move to answer choices and then negate the options by referring to the stimulus.

Thanks
H

VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
imhimanshu wrote:
Ravi:
Ed:

Why is (A) wrong?

The question stem asks you the method used by Ed to criticize Ravi. How did Ed criticize Ravi? Did he question Ravi's premises? Did he point out an assumption? Let's find out.

Ravi says that the sales dept MUST function properly for the company to succeed so it should get the highest priority.
Ed says that many other depts MUST function properly too for the company to succeed. You can't give highest priority to all.

Ed doesn't say that the sales dept is not critical. He only says that there are other depts too which are critical. Ravi made an assumption: If a dept is critical, it should be given the highest priority.
Ed points out the absurd consequence of this assumption: Since there are many depts which are critical, this would mean that all of them should be given highest priority. That's not possible. That's how he criticizes Ravi's statement.

The 'Mr Janeck question' is quite different. It asks you for Ms S's interpretation of Mr J's remark. This question asks you for the method used by Ed to weaken Ravi's argument.

Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 4515 [0], given: 162

Re: Method of Reasoning [#permalink] New post 09 May 2012, 07:29
Expert's post
imhimanshu wrote:
Thanks Karishma for the explanation. I can see why the Answer A is wrong, however I am still not sure whether I will be picking up D if this question comes up in exam as Answer choice A is artistically created... its so tempting to go for A... :-D
I would like to ask what strategy do you adopt for such question.. do you paraphrase before moving to answer choices or do you move to answer choices and then negate the options by referring to the stimulus.

Thanks
H

Method of reasoning questions are generally a little harder and a little difficult to figure. Generally, it is a good idea to paraphrase in your own words and think of what you are looking for in the options but it is a little harder to do in these questions. Nevertheless, (D) makes complete sense here. The higher level questions include options which tempt you. Try to stick to what is most logical.

Karishma
My Blog

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 136

Re: Method of Reasoning [#permalink] New post 10 May 2012, 04:31
Thanks Karishma for the tip. :-)

Per your earlier response, prior to this one, can I safely assume that in Method of Reasoning questions, the criticizer of the argument will either crack the argument by exposing assumption or will question the argument's premises. If it is true, then it gets easier to think of this way then move to the options choices.

Thanks

VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
imhimanshu wrote:

Thanks
H

Method of reasoning questions are generally a little harder and a little difficult to figure. Generally, it is a good idea to paraphrase in your own words and think of what you are looking for in the options but it is a little harder to do in these questions. Nevertheless, (D) makes complete sense here. The higher level questions include options which tempt you. Try to stick to what is most logical.

Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 4515 [0], given: 162

Re: Method of Reasoning [#permalink] New post 10 May 2012, 08:25
Expert's post
imhimanshu wrote:
Thanks Karishma for the tip. :-)

Per your earlier response, prior to this one, can I safely assume that in Method of Reasoning questions, the criticizer of the argument will either crack the argument by exposing assumption or will question the argument's premises. If it is true, then it gets easier to think of this way then move to the options choices.

Thanks

Actually, no. If you have to criticize an argument, you are essentially trying to weaken it. You can weaken an argument in many ways (though, weaken focuses mainly on the conclusion but you can criticize an argument by questioning the premises too). These are just some things that came to my mind when I thought about 'criticizing'.

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [1] , given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Method of Reasoning [#permalink] New post 23 May 2012, 07:05
This post received
KUDOS
Chose D.

Ravi states that company success is because of sales and needs of the sales department should be catered with highest priority.
Ed states that company's success depends on smooth working of many other departments as well and their needs should also be catered to. Highest priority cannot be given to all the departments.

An absurd consequence of its apparent assumption that a department's necessity earns it the highest priority - Correct Choice
VP
VP
Followers: 207

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Ravi: The highest priority should be given to the needs of [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2014, 10:38
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Ravi: The highest priority should be given to the needs of   [#permalink] 22 Jun 2014, 10:38