Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Jul 2014, 02:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Raw => Scaled thumbrule?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton (WEMBA East)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Raw => Scaled thumbrule? [#permalink] New post 17 May 2008, 10:08
I don't think there's an easy answer for this one. (Or I need to stop claiming I know how to google.)

So when I'm working through problems, obviously my number one priority is to knowingly choose the right answers to individual questions. Not really rocket science--get better at fundamentally answering the various types of questions and you'll be maximizing your potential score.

And if I really want to get a score check I can take one of the various CATs. No problem there.

What I'm wondering is, when I do, say, 50 questions in Kaplan Premier, OG11 or wherever--some source of relatively generic prep question sets--what kind of raw scores percentages equate to scaled GMAT scores?

I'm just trying to get a rough idea for how many questions I can actually miss on the test and still get a scaled score of N. Hopefully I've over-explained this and my question makes some kind of sense.

I'm really just trying to give myself better context to gauge progress when I get say 80% of questions correct vs. 95%.

I also noted that the GMATClub Challenges have (or had?) some sort of percentiles attached, so I'll hopefully be able to track progress when I work through those.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Raw => Scaled thumbrule? [#permalink] New post 17 May 2008, 11:30
I used to have the same kind of impression, but I don't think you can accurately predict the raw/scaled scores basing on just the number of correct answers.

I have taken enough gmatprep tests to confidently say that the "adaptive" nature of the test makes it difficult to determine the scores basing on just the number of wrong questions.

I think the key is to string together as many correct answers in a row as possible. The consecutive correct answers will determine your upper limit, once you hit a high upper limit, you can get wrong answers and your score won't go down as much. But if you get a wrong answer for every 3 to 5 questions interval, it is more difficult for the score to increase.

For example, I have had 6 wrong questions on the math section and got a 51, but 4 wrong questions and got a 50. For the 51 score, I got the first question wrong, and another wrong answer about the 20th question, and 4 wrong answers in the 30-37th questions. But for the 50 score, my 3 wrong answers were concentrated in the 20-30th question range and the last wrong question was question #34.

As for the verbal section, I would get 8-9 questions wrong and get a 40-41 score, OR 8 questions wrong and get a 43-44 score. The difference is that with the 41 score, 7 out of 9 wrong answers were sentence correction types, whereas the 44 scores 5 wrong answers were SC types, and the other wrong answers were spread out among the CR and RC sections. My impression is that (if you can control the absolute number of wrong questions) it is better to spread out your wrong answers among the sections instead of having them concentrated in 1 section, BUT we don't have that choice.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: R1:Cornell, Yale, NYU. R2: Haas, MIT, Ross
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Raw => Scaled thumbrule? [#permalink] New post 17 May 2008, 15:45
gmatnub wrote:
I used to have the same kind of impression, but I don't think you can accurately predict the raw/scaled scores basing on just the number of correct answers.

I have taken enough gmatprep tests to confidently say that the "adaptive" nature of the test makes it difficult to determine the scores basing on just the number of wrong questions.

I think the key is to string together as many correct answers in a row as possible. The consecutive correct answers will determine your upper limit, once you hit a high upper limit, you can get wrong answers and your score won't go down as much. But if you get a wrong answer for every 3 to 5 questions interval, it is more difficult for the score to increase.

For example, I have had 6 wrong questions on the math section and got a 51, but 4 wrong questions and got a 50. For the 51 score, I got the first question wrong, and another wrong answer about the 20th question, and 4 wrong answers in the 30-37th questions. But for the 50 score, my 3 wrong answers were concentrated in the 20-30th question range and the last wrong question was question #34.

As for the verbal section, I would get 8-9 questions wrong and get a 40-41 score, OR 8 questions wrong and get a 43-44 score. The difference is that with the 41 score, 7 out of 9 wrong answers were sentence correction types, whereas the 44 scores 5 wrong answers were SC types, and the other wrong answers were spread out among the CR and RC sections. My impression is that (if you can control the absolute number of wrong questions) it is better to spread out your wrong answers among the sections instead of having them concentrated in 1 section, BUT we don't have that choice.

Hey, Great explanation, this has pretty much been my experience . Try to get as many answers right on the lower level questions so that you can get questions that are more difficult so the exam can adapt to a higher score range.
Good Luck!
Re: Raw => Scaled thumbrule?   [#permalink] 17 May 2008, 15:45