Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:18 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3827 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 406 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 2: 760  Q50  V42
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1953 [0]
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2799 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: RC 2(Biology)-Grazing pressure exerted by zooplankton. [#permalink]
I took 17 minutes for this passage. some answer choices were very close.. In such science passages, i find it really difficult to rmemeber the terms. Does anyone have any clue how to tackle this?

anyways, My attempt is:
BDECECED
Director
Director
Send PM
tough but interesting It was
it took me 20 mins

in this type of passage, I prefer brief notes-para wise(This way I can concentrate better and i save time also becoz I dont have to go back to passage again & again while answering easy Qs)

like, Para 1:-ve correlation..i dont write the whole words or phrase. just Rho for correlation

para 2--nanno..

like that

my take is edbeeeeb
(seems i liked e :P )
Director
Director
Send PM
Rocking
you are tired but you got 7/8 :P

pls explain last one and no 23, if possible
(I,II,III type Qs are always tricky)

OAs ADBC ECED

icandy wrote:
damn! I am dog tired. Ciao on weekend.

20 min 8 Q

E D B C E C E D
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1953 [0]
 Q49  V41
Send PM
nitya34 wrote:
Many theories have been formulated to explain the role of grazers such as zooplankton in controlling the amount of planktonic algae (phytoplankton) in lakes. The first theories of such grazer control were merely based on observations of negative correlations between algal and zooplankton numbers. A low number of algal cells in the presence of a high number of grazers suggested, but did not prove, that the grazers had removed most of the algae. The converse observation, of the absence of grazers in areas of high phytoplankton concentration, led Hardy to propose his principle of animal exclusion, which hypothesized that phytoplankton produced a repellent that excluded grazers from regions of high phytoplankton concentration. This was the first suggestion of algal defenses against grazing.

Perhaps the fact that many of these first studies considered only algae of a size that could be collected in a net (net phytoplankton), a practice that overlooked the smaller phytoplankton (nannoplankton) that we now know grazers are most likely to feed on, led to a de-emphasis of the role of grazers in subsequent research. Increasingly, as in the individual studies of Lund, Round, and Reynolds, researchers began to stress the importance of environmental factors such as temperature, light, and water movements in controlling algal numbers.

These environmental factors were amenable to field monitoring and to simulation in the laboratory. Grazing was believed to have some effect on algal numbers, especially after phytoplankton growth rates declined at the end of bloom periods, but grazing was considered a minor component of models that predicted algal population dynamics.

The potential magnitude of grazing pressure on freshwater phytoplankton has only recently been determined empirically. Studies by Hargrave and Geen estimated natural community grazing rates by measuring feeding rates of individual zooplankton species in the laboratory and then computing community grazing rates for field conditions using the known population density of grazers. The high estimates of grazing pressure postulated by these researchers were not fully accepted, however, until the grazing rates of zooplankton were determined directly in the field, by means of new experimental techniques. Using a specially prepared feeding chamber, Haney was able to record zooplankton grazing rates in natural field conditions. In the periods of peak zooplankton abundance, that is, in the late spring and in the summer, Haney recorded maximum daily community grazing rates, for nutrient-poor lakes and bog lakes, respectively, of 6.6 percent and 114 percent of daily phytoplankton production. Cladocerans had higher grazing rates than copepods, usually accounting for 80 percent of the community grazing rate. These rates varied seasonally, reaching the lowest point in the winter and early spring. Haney’s thorough research provides convincing field evidence that grazers can exert significant pressure on phytoplankton population.

23. The author would be likely to agree with which of the following statements regarding the pressure of grazers on
phytoplankton numbers?

I. Grazing pressure can vary according to the individual type of zooplankton.
II. Grazing pressure can be lower in nutrient-poor lakes than in bog lakes.
III. Grazing tends to exert about the same pressure as does temperature.

(A) I only
(B) III only
(C) I and II only
(D) II and III only
(E) I, II, and III

27. Which of the following is a true statement about the zooplankton numbers and zooplankton grazing rates observed in Haney’s experiments?

(A) While zooplankton numbers began to decline in August, zooplankton grazing rates began to increase.
(B) Although zooplankton numbers were high in May, grazing rates did not become high until January.
(C) Both zooplankton numbers and grazing rates were higher in December than in November.
(D) Both zooplankton numbers and grazing rates were lower in March than in June.
(E) Both zooplankton numbers and grazing rates were highest in February.

==========

For 27, Read both reds and it is clear that summer has high rates of both and early spring has lesser rates

For 23, it is clear that III is wrong and II is right. I could not prove I either way but I got lucky as A has only I and C has both I & II.

Why III is wrong? One study says temp exerts more pressure and another says grazing exerts 80% pressure. in either case it is not the same.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Reading Comprehension (RC) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts