Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 06:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

RC help needed!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 17

RC help needed! [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2014, 13:59
Hello everyone, :)

Here's my situation:

My first attempt on GMAT was around 6 months ago after preparing 2 months using Manhattan set of 9 books, OG, CR Bible, MGMAT & GMATPrep tests and scored 640(Q49, V29) but I want to write it again next month to raise my verbal to 40 so that I can land my target score of 720.

However silly it may sound but when I took GMAT first time, I had to skip 2nd and 3rd RC passage completely to get my verbal section done on time. I did this on purpose because even if I could manage to read the passages, I was not able to get any RC answers correct (may be 1 out of 4)! Of course, my reading speed is bad and so are my comprehension skills (I started reading novels only recently and am a non-native english speaker).

I wrote a sample GMAT last week after revising the materials and still got almost all RC answers wrong! :cry: I have read a lot on this portal and a few others regarding the RC techniques and strategies but due to the speed issue, I am not able to apply any while writing a test. I can't let this spoil my overall score.

So, please suggest me some proven, dedicated coaching or guidelines for practising RC. Any suggestions or feedback would be highly appreciated.

Thanks a lot!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 8

Re: RC help needed! [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2014, 14:36
I believe that the best way to improve your reading speed is to just read a lot. As the bb (Gmatclub founder) said, you have to read few hundreds pages. It works very well for me.
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 287

Kudos [?]: 643 [0], given: 6

Re: RC help needed! [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2014, 08:03
Expert's post
Take some pointers from these videos:

http://www.gmatpill.com/practicequestio ... tions.html

Reading for the test requires focusing on key transition words and understanding the structure of how each sentence fits with the overall picture. It is not necessary to read every single word with focus. But how exactly do you do it? Well, it's difficult to explain in words - that's why we show you in the above video.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 2

Re: RC help needed! [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2014, 02:45
try LSAT reading comprehension bible by powerscore.
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
Schools: ISB '16
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 187 [0], given: 306

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: RC help needed! [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2014, 08:38
Hi there,

I am sure you have posted the query under wrong thread, so I am moving the same to relevant forum.

Furthermore, as far as your query is concerned, I will tell you what helped me.

There are many strategies on the forums. But the key points I would quote are:

(1). Never skim a passage: Why?

Because when a Detail question is asked then you know which paragraph or where to go for looking into detail.

(2). Stop after reading each para: Why?

To check you know the organization and tone of the content/author.

(3). Skim through details and focus on organization

(4). Practice from Aristotle RC99

Rgds,
TGC!

Rgds,
TGC!

Expert Post
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 111 [0], given: 11

CAT Tests
Re: RC help needed! [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2014, 12:17
Expert's post
Hi SR,

I hope you are well. Great work on the Quant! You can continue pushing the Quant score up with the GMAT Club Quant CATs. For verbal I would agree with everybody's advice: Read. I would suggest the Economist as the level of difficulty and the subject matter are similar to those on the GMAT. Of course reading by itself isn't going to magically improve your GMAT score - you have to be practicing being an active reader. Here are a few strategies for using the Economist to improve Reading Comprehension. The short of it is: take your time with the reading. Read with a dictionary. Consider how the author supports his/her point. Consider the grammar structures used. In general - be a detective. I hope that this is helpful. Best of luck!

Happy Studies,

A.

"It is a curious property of research activity that after the problem has been solved the solution seems obvious. This is true not only for those who have not previously been acquainted with the problem, but also for those who have worked over it for years." -Dr. Edwin Land

GMAT Sample Questions to assess your GMAT Quant.

If you found my post useful KUDOS are much appreciated.

IMPROVE YOUR READING COMPREHENSION with the ECONOMIST READING COMPREHENSION CHALLENGE:

Here is the first set along with some strategies for approaching this work: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-economist-reading-comprehension-challenge-151479.html

Re: RC help needed!   [#permalink] 04 Apr 2014, 12:17