Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 10:46

Happy Labor Day:

Free Access to New GMATClub Tests for all GMATClub Members!!


Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

RC hit rate

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 May 2007
Posts: 120
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

RC hit rate [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2007, 06:29
Hi guys,

Started practicing RC. So far my hit rate for the first 100 questions have been about 80-85 %. The last 40 is hovering at around 60. Is that good, bad? Any input and advice how to tackle the really long drawn out RC passages would be appreciated.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Feb 2007
Posts: 256
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: RC hit rate [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2007, 08:33
fawreel902 wrote:
Any input and advice how to tackle the really long drawn out RC passages would be appreciated.


Go order yourself some real LSAT tests.
Get used the LSAT RC problems, and then the hardest GMAT RC problem will seem extremely basic
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 May 2007
Posts: 120
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2007, 08:49
So I am assuming by your answer that my RC ability is weak?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Feb 2007
Posts: 256
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2007, 09:03
fawreel902 wrote:
So I am assuming by your answer that my RC ability is weak?


no, you can see from my response that i was replying to:
"Any input and advice how to tackle the really long drawn out RC passages would be appreciated."

I should have provided more clarrification though...
LSAT passages are generally longer than GMAT RCs, and they are more dense and much more difficult.
If you become comfortable with those passages, GMAT RCs will seem simple in comparison.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 May 2007
Posts: 120
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2007, 10:05
Got it, thanks! But in general, is my hit rate good or does it need some work? I would just like to get over a 40 on my verbal and I would like to know what is required to do that.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 31 Mar 2007
Posts: 586
Location: Canada eh
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2007, 10:13
I disagree... how difficult are the LSAT RC's? Because on GMATPrep I've seen some EXTREMELY difficult RC passages....... 70 lines, confusing arguments, vague references, and the questions had difficult inferences..... very difficult to do after 2 hours of doing GMAT
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Feb 2007
Posts: 256
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2007, 13:46
fawreel902 wrote:
Got it, thanks! But in general, is my hit rate good or does it need some work? I would just like to get over a 40 on my verbal and I would like to know what is required to do that.


your hit rate is not bad at all.
I cant tell you what rate is required to get a 40 because there are so many variables that factor into the score.
In addition, your strength in SC and CR will determine how well you have to do on RC questions to get your 40.

Personally, 95% of the time that I spent studying verbal was dedicated to SC.

good luck to you!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Feb 2007
Posts: 256
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2007, 13:59
StartupAddict wrote:
I disagree... how difficult are the LSAT RC's? Because on GMATPrep I've seen some EXTREMELY difficult RC passages....... 70 lines, confusing arguments, vague references, and the questions had difficult inferences..... very difficult to do after 2 hours of doing GMAT


haha, how can you disagree and then ask how hard the LSAT RCs are?

Initially, I had planned on going to law school for patent law, so i took the Testmasters LSAT class. My LSAT RC success rate was probably 65-70%
after 3 months of studying. My GMAT RC success rate was about 95%.

And by the way, GMAT RCs rarely if ever ask you to make inferences.
Most of the answers to the questions are spelt out exactly in the passage.

GMAT RC difficulty is relative, and obviously is not the same for everyone; however, i will say again with certainty that GMAT RCs are much easier than LSAT RCs.

so if you are looking for harder RC problems to tackle, look to the LSATs
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 May 2007
Posts: 2995
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 431 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2007, 16:10
I have heard that LSAT CR questions make GMAT CR look elementary. I never did try the LSAT, but others who have done superbly on the verbals claim to have derived much benefit from the LSAT practice.

It does make sense. Law school is all about reading and reasoning...

CookieMonster wrote:
StartupAddict wrote:
I disagree... how difficult are the LSAT RC's? Because on GMATPrep I've seen some EXTREMELY difficult RC passages....... 70 lines, confusing arguments, vague references, and the questions had difficult inferences..... very difficult to do after 2 hours of doing GMAT


haha, how can you disagree and then ask how hard the LSAT RCs are?

Initially, I had planned on going to law school for patent law, so i took the Testmasters LSAT class. My LSAT RC success rate was probably 65-70%
after 3 months of studying. My GMAT RC success rate was about 95%.

And by the way, GMAT RCs rarely if ever ask you to make inferences.
Most of the answers to the questions are spelt out exactly in the passage.

GMAT RC difficulty is relative, and obviously is not the same for everyone; however, i will say again with certainty that GMAT RCs are much easier than LSAT RCs.

so if you are looking for harder RC problems to tackle, look to the LSATs
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Feb 2007
Posts: 256
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2007, 17:03
bsd_lover wrote:
I have heard that LSAT CR questions make GMAT CR look elementary. I never did try the LSAT, but others who have done superbly on the verbals claim to have derived much benefit from the LSAT practice.

It does make sense. Law school is all about reading and reasoning...

CookieMonster wrote:
StartupAddict wrote:
I disagree... how difficult are the LSAT RC's? Because on GMATPrep I've seen some EXTREMELY difficult RC passages....... 70 lines, confusing arguments, vague references, and the questions had difficult inferences..... very difficult to do after 2 hours of doing GMAT


haha, how can you disagree and then ask how hard the LSAT RCs are?

Initially, I had planned on going to law school for patent law, so i took the Testmasters LSAT class. My LSAT RC success rate was probably 65-70%
after 3 months of studying. My GMAT RC success rate was about 95%.

And by the way, GMAT RCs rarely if ever ask you to make inferences.
Most of the answers to the questions are spelt out exactly in the passage.

GMAT RC difficulty is relative, and obviously is not the same for everyone; however, i will say again with certainty that GMAT RCs are much easier than LSAT RCs.

so if you are looking for harder RC problems to tackle, look to the LSATs


you heard right. The LSAT LRs (logical reasoning) do make the GMAT CRs look very basic.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 04 Aug 2005
Posts: 202
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2007, 08:00
Man, I wish that I had had that tip about the LSAT tests before I took the GMAT! However, I scored a 40 in verbal and was getting a hit rate of about 90-95% during practice. I would recommend the Kaplan GMAT 800 book. It includes longer and tougher passages than most other books.

However, unlike most posters here, I've always been good at the verbal stuff and horrible at math. :?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 06 Jul 2007
Posts: 161
Schools: CBS, MIT, Kellogg, Wharton
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2007, 20:26
I am sure that LSAT passages are excellent to practice with. My problem is that getting up in the morning and doing 60-70 LSAT RC questions doesn't even come close to writing two essays, completing a 37 question long Quant section and then doing verbal questions, some of which are RC :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 May 2007
Posts: 252
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2007, 22:41
bsd_lover wrote:
I have heard that LSAT CR questions make GMAT CR look elementary. I never did try the LSAT, but others who have done superbly on the verbals claim to have derived much benefit from the LSAT practice.

It does make sense. Law school is all about reading and reasoning...

CookieMonster wrote:
StartupAddict wrote:
I disagree... how difficult are the LSAT RC's? Because on GMATPrep I've seen some EXTREMELY difficult RC passages....... 70 lines, confusing arguments, vague references, and the questions had difficult inferences..... very difficult to do after 2 hours of doing GMAT


haha, how can you disagree and then ask how hard the LSAT RCs are?

Initially, I had planned on going to law school for patent law, so i took the Testmasters LSAT class. My LSAT RC success rate was probably 65-70%
after 3 months of studying. My GMAT RC success rate was about 95%.

And by the way, GMAT RCs rarely if ever ask you to make inferences.
Most of the answers to the questions are spelt out exactly in the passage.

GMAT RC difficulty is relative, and obviously is not the same for everyone; however, i will say again with certainty that GMAT RCs are much easier than LSAT RCs.

so if you are looking for harder RC problems to tackle, look to the LSATs



I havent done many LSAT CR questions but from the ones i have done, i can say that they are not any difficult then the OG CR. the ones i come across in the MGMAT CATS are lot more confusing then both of them.
  [#permalink] 26 Aug 2007, 22:41
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
need help with improving my RC hit rate rao 2 02 Aug 2008, 12:02
Need help with improving my RC hit rate? rao 7 02 Aug 2008, 10:27
RC hit rate fawreel902 12 23 Aug 2007, 06:29
CR-1000 - Hit Rate?? rahulraao 0 04 Oct 2005, 17:28
Hit rate Priyak_chari 0 28 Jul 2005, 03:29
Display posts from previous: Sort by

RC hit rate

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: bagdbmba, WaterFlowsUp



cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.