Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 12:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

RC Ideas from MGMAT Experts

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
7 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Schools: UCSD (Rady) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 186

Kudos [?]: 84 [7] , given: 3

RC Ideas from MGMAT Experts [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2012, 12:51
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I get asked about Reading Comprehension quite a bit. Many students simply don't know what they can do to improve. The obvious steps are (1) do a lot of practice problems and (2) read a lot, but I want to tell you about one more strategy that I use in my GMAT classes that seems to really affect the way students approach RC questions.

I give my students a sample GMAT short passage, but I don't give them the questions. I ask them to read the passage, taking notes if they choose. At the end of 3 minutes, I surprise them by asking them to cover up both the passage and their notes. Then I show them a mid-level (600 or so) question that asks something general about the passage (not a question that asks about a specific detail).

Some students are naturally good at RC and can successfully answer the question, but others understandably struggle. After all, if you're expecting to have a reference document, you don't need to retain anything, right? Actually, that's wrong! The whole point of the exercise is to teach students to make the absolute most of their first read. You want to understand at least enough of the passage so that if you have a conversation about it later, without having it in front of you, you will be able to recall how the passage is constructed and why it is important.

My next step is to tell the students that for homework, they should try one or two RC passages from the Official Guide the same way. There will be a crucial difference though: this time they will know what's coming! Now, they will read more actively the first time around, they will take notes because they want to remember and not because they want to copy, and they will recall information from the passage more vividly. What I find really interesting is that nearly all my students can still do this in only 3 minutes. The idea that better reading always takes more time is a fallacy: I think many times, better reading just takes desire. Many students even tell me that when they cover up the passage, they do better on those questions than they do otherwise! Of course, I don't recommend this rule for your real GMAT - I just would like you to try it when you study, and see if it improves the way you read.

Ryan Jacobs | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE: Analyst (Other)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 64 [1] , given: 36

Re: RC Ideas from MGMAT Experts [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2012, 01:15
This post received
KUDOS
I'll agree with this. I've stated on here several times that taking notes in RC is an absolutely important step. Often times, I don't refer back to my notes. Instead, the process of taking good notes ingrains the meaning of the passage and particular points.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.22
WE: Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 16

Re: RC Ideas from MGMAT Experts [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2012, 01:42
Thanks for this. You're absolutely right.

I think one of the more helpful strategies I used is that I read through my notes BEFORE reading the first question. It helps me have that "bird's eye view" of the passage that I easily lose because of having a "worm's eye view" (especially when the passage is full of technicalities, I remember the MGMAT CAT question that discussed how LED and LCD monitors work, when I encountered it I wanted to commit harakiri) of the passage.

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
- T. Roosevelt

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Babson '15, HKU '15
WE: Consulting (Accounting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 6

Reviews Badge
Re: RC Ideas from MGMAT Experts [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2012, 10:36
I've tried this exercise. I puts both your notes and comprehension skills to test, but for details questions I was caught cheating because its very hard to answer a details question with the passage closed.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GC Meter: A.W.E.S.O.M.E
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 239

Reviews Badge
Re: RC Ideas from MGMAT Experts [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2012, 08:44
Good idea. I was doing well on 600 level questions. when i jumped to 700 level, there was something really missing. :( Let me try this out :)

You haven't failed, if you haven't given up!
---
bschooladmit
Visit my Blog www.bschooladmit.wordpress.com

Check out my other posts:
Bschool Deadlines 2013-2014 | Bschool Admission Events 2013 Start your GMAT Prep with Stacey Koprince | Get a head start in MBA finance

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 466 [1] , given: 102

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: RC Ideas from MGMAT Experts [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2013, 12:40
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi Ryan,
Could you please let me know whether you've categorization of OG/Verbal review RC questions according to difficulty level and solutions for the same?

Appreciate your feedback.

UPDATED : e-GMAT SC Resources-Consolidated || ALL RC Resources-Consolidated || ALL SC Resources-Consolidated || UPDATED : AWA compilations-109 Analysis of Argument Essays || NEW !!! GMAC's IR Prep Tool

GMAT Club guide - OG 11-12-13 || Veritas Blog || Manhattan GMAT Blog

KUDOS please, if you like the post or if it helps :-)

Re: RC Ideas from MGMAT Experts   [#permalink] 15 Jul 2013, 12:40