Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 22:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

RC major shareholders

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

RC major shareholders [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2007, 11:19
Hey guys .. have a look at this RC and please help me with the explanation of Q's 18 and 19 in particular..

thanks..
Attachments

rc.doc [116 KiB]
Downloaded 179 times

To download please login or register as a user

VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 13

Re: RC major shareholders [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2007, 11:35
Amit05 wrote:
Hey guys .. have a look at this RC and please help me with the explanation of Q's 18 and 19 in particular..

thanks..

18 - A;; C was pretty close but it's too strong.

19 - C
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 108 [0], given: 0

Re: RC major shareholders [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2007, 12:12
Amit05 wrote:

thanks..

Please post OA later...
My answers are:
16. B
17. B
18. A
19. C
20. B
21. B
22. B
23. E

For 17, the author is asking what is true about TODAY majority share holders, which means institutions. Choice D comes close, but I feel that although the author mentions that they can make short-term profits, the author did not mention that institutions are more interested in doing so. Moreover, the author said on line 9 that there are few exceptions to these institutions that make short term profits. Therefore, you cannot infer that all institutions are more interested in short-term profit. There institutions that are exception to that.

(Opps, I thought you need help on 17, so I wrote the passage above...oh well, I 'll just leave it)

For 18, A is right
A is correct as it is clear from the passage that the Antitrust law prevents institutions from owning a majority of a company's stock (line 12-13).
B is not correct because from the second passage, this in one of the thing that the author recommends to enforce. Therefore, this is not true now.
C is not correct because nothing in the passage mention who make the decision in a corporation today.
D is not correct because it is an extreme choice. "any one corporation" makes this false.
E is not correct because nothing is mention in the passage about relationship of short-term increase and productivity. Only relationship about long-term increase and productivity is mentioned.

For 19, C is correct
Line 30-33 states recommendation that major institution holders should give warning before selling stocks. The author recommends this solution because he wants everything to return to capitalist-style. For capitalists, they believe that long term is good for the company. Therefore, if you read all other choices, only C makes sense.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2007, 12:55
16 B
17 D
18 A
19 C
20 B
21 B
22 B