Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 04:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

RC: number of questions per text

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

RC: number of questions per text [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2009, 14:06
I took the GMAT once but I don't remember whether the number of questions per text was shown when I first saw both the text and the first question. On GMAT prep it doesn't show, but that is pattern of 3 questions per short passage and 4 questions per long passage.

On the real test, does the program show how many questions a particular passage will have? Or at least is there a sure pattern of 3 per short passage and 4 for long ones? Can I make a first read knowing how many time I have or do I have to guess the number of questions that are going to appear latter?

Also, do the line numbers appear?

Thanks.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Schools: Duke,Oxford,IMD,INSEAD
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 15

Re: RC: number of questions per text [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2009, 14:48
Short passage of 30 lines or less is of 3 questions and long of 50 or less is of 4 questions. I have not heard of anything which is out of ordinary in the recent past.

Line number do appear.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2298

Kudos [?]: 9063 [0], given: 3680

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: RC: number of questions per text [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2009, 14:58
Expert's post
murdoc wrote:
I took the GMAT once but I don't remember whether the number of questions per text was shown when I first saw both the text and the first question. On GMAT prep it doesn't show, but that is pattern of 3 questions per short passage and 4 questions per long passage.

On the real test, does the program show how many questions a particular passage will have? Or at least is there a sure pattern of 3 per short passage and 4 for long ones? Can I make a first read knowing how many time I have or do I have to guess the number of questions that are going to appear latter?

Thanks.

Welcome to GMAT Club Murdoc

You will not know or be presented with the number of questions associated with each passage. However, you can be certain that smaller passages will have 3 and longer passages 4 questions. You will always see the first question.

During your test you will most likely encounter 15 RC questions - 3 passages with 4 questions and 1 passage with 3.

You may see a very long RC as well but it will still have only 4 questions.

For RC - would strongly recommend having a good strategy (get either MGMAT RC or Kaplan Verbal Workbook). Also - look into GMAT Fiction to help with RC.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 562

Re: RC: number of questions per text [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2013, 03:05
bb wrote:
murdoc wrote:

Thanks.

Welcome to GMAT Club Murdoc

You will not know or be presented with the number of questions associated with each passage. However, you can be certain that smaller passages will have 3 and longer passages 4 questions. You will always see the first question.

During your test you will most likely encounter 15 RC questions - 3 passages with 4 questions and 1 passage with 3.

You may see a very long RC as well but it will still have only 4 questions.

For RC - would strongly recommend having a good strategy (get either MGMAT RC or Kaplan Verbal Workbook). Also - look into GMAT Fiction to help with RC.

Hi BB,
Is it true that the RC passages these days on GMAT are generally smaller? Heard from my friends who took the GMAT recently that they saw 1 long passage and 3 short ones..

Regards,
Sachin

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Re: RC: number of questions per text   [#permalink] 02 Jan 2013, 03:05