Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 07:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

RC Strategy - How do others handle?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

RC Strategy - How do others handle? [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2010, 14:32
When answering ' According to the Passage ' questions or other questions focused on Specific Detail, is it best to check the language contained in each answer choice with the language that is contained in the entire paragraph? Does this take to long?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: Upset about the verbal score - SC, CR and RC are going to be my friend
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: RC Strategy - How do others handle? [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2010, 15:09
Can you give an example for your question?

Whenever I face detailed question - if I can correctly identify the location of the paragraph, which discusses the topic on question, i am able to answer the question correctly.

My gmat story
MGMAT1 - 630 Q44V32
MGMAT2 - 650 Q41V38
MGMAT3 - 680 Q44V37
GMATPrep1 - 660 Q49V31
Knewton1 - 550 Q40V27

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: RC Strategy - How do others handle? [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2010, 08:30
I have been using MGMAT's strategy to answer 'According to the passage' or 'It can be inferred from the passage that'... 'All of the foll stmt. are supported by passage EXCEPT'....'Which of the foll. is an assumption?... type questions.
It appears very logical and has proven extremely effective for me.
The strategy mentions about reading the question and focusing on the key words most likely to be found in the passage. Then look back over the passage to find those key words. Do NOT look at the answer choices.. Four of five of them are meant to mislead you.

Once you find the key words you should read the surrounding sentence or sentences to answer the question. This may take a little time.Condense these relevant sentence(s) into 4-5 words of truth. Then hold it in your head as you scan the 5 ans choices,

Try this if you haven't already.
Regards,
Sameer
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: RC Strategy - How do others handle? [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2010, 19:13
Sameer, I like your strategy. I'll try and see.
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 100

Kudos [?]: 215 [0], given: 20

Re: RC Strategy - How do others handle? [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 14:57
Hey guys,

Great topic - and I think that a huge advantage in these areas comes back to those who read strategically the first time through. I highly suggest a method that we at Veritas Prep call STOP:

At the end of each paragraph, stop to check:

-What was the paragraph about (3 words or so about the Scope of the paragraph)
-Why was it written (2-3 words about the Purpose of the paragraph)

So, as an example, at the end of reading the passage your notes might be:

1) Introduce theory of evolution

2) Discuss criticisms of theory

3) Counter criticisms and discuss new research

There are several pieces of value in this strategy

-You'll be able to check for understanding at the end of each paragraph, and minimize the potential that you'll have to reread the whole thing
-For specific questions you should know which paragraph to go back to
-You're much more likely to avoid the trap answers for Primary Purpose questions, which typically trap you by stating something that two paragraphs do discuss, but that misses a third entirely (e.g., for this one, "discuss arguments in favor of and opposed to the theory of evolution" - but what about the new research?)

See if this helps - if you're focusing more on "why it was written" than specific derails, it's much easier to read without getting mired in details, and you can always know where to go for the specifics that you need.

Brian

Save $100 on live Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: RC Strategy - How do others handle?   [#permalink] 16 Nov 2010, 14:57