Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 22:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

RC timing & Strategies We've had stickies helping with

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 May 2006, 09:42
RC Tips

These are the tips give by Nandan (shahnandan), I found them quite logical & extremely helpful. Thanks to Nandan once again!
Attachments

File comment: RC Tips
RC TIPS.doc [25 KiB]
Downloaded 1757 times

To download please login or register as a user

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 1

Advices for RC [#permalink] New post 16 May 2006, 06:15
I think that the main thing to do the exam well is to be a very active reader. I mean that have to bees used to read a lot of articles, newspapers and all you can in order to make it easier for you.

I know that it is too difficult. Personally, it's the worst part of the GMAT and that is the reason why many people has to put a lot of effort in it.

I hope to continue reading and improve the results.

Regards
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 May 2006, 19:35
I read this thread and started taking RCs personally...as if I am reading my future (!!) and it really increased by hit rate.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2006, 06:47
Hi guys let me put 2 cents into your discussion. I just allocate more time for reading comprehension, because skimming technique advertised by Princeton Review doesn't work. I read text thoroughly and try to understand every twist, then I answer the questions. Although my results are not good enough yet, I stick to this strategy, because I get 90% correct answers. Time is the main issue.
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2006, 21:20
Adil wrote:
Hi guys let me put 2 cents into your discussion. I just allocate more time for reading comprehension, because skimming technique advertised by Princeton Review doesn't work. I read text thoroughly and try to understand every twist, then I answer the questions. Although my results are not good enough yet, I stick to this strategy, because I get 90% correct answers. Time is the main issue.

I would agree with you. but you can't ignore the timing factor.

I believe most people will answer a higher percentage of questions correctly by reading thoroughly, but if you can't finish the questions on time, the effort is basically minimized by the questions u have to guess when time runs out.

i have this timing problem too. and gotta find ways to conquer it yet not drop the accuracy of the answers.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

more RC tips [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2006, 02:00
As I have been preparing for my upcoming exam in December for the last 3 months, I believe that I have some valuable tips for RCs. Here are my strategies to tackle RC questions -

1) Categorize the type of questions you will see into 4 main types- main idea question, supporting idea questions, inference questions and logical structure questions As soon as you read a question, categorize it. This increases your chances of getting it right because you know HOW to answer it. It will also save you time. (refer to OG answers)

2) MAKE USE OF THE LINE REFERENCES - this is a big bonus that the testakers give you. Especially for supporting idea questions, when you refer back to the questions, remmber about the line number.

3) Read the first question first (benifits have been suggested by earlier participants)

4) Be passionate about reading the passages! (benefits also mentioned earlier)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2006, 03:57
I always find myself with 10-15 mins extra when doing the verbal section. So what I started doing was to read the passages twice. That made better use of my time at it really helped when answering the questions :-) But I guess if you usually end with only 2-5 mins in the verbal part, this strategy doesn't work.

Impossible is nothing

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Jotting notes during RC... [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2006, 12:55
This past Sunday I took my first CAT test, whereas earlier I've been studying paper and pencil. I noticed specifically with the verbal section, I took little to no notes. Reading through some of the posts, what is the best way to take notes on the RC section?

Thank you.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2006, 05:23
Taking notes is only a way to make sure you are understanding the paragraph. It is particularly useful in the beginning phrase of the active reading trainning. However when you have mastered the skill and are able to understand the paragraphs, there is no need to take much notes at all, in my opinion. I didn't take any notes when I wrote my GMAT.

Keep on asking, and it will be given you;
keep on seeking, and you will find;
keep on knocking, and it will be opened to you.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

getting into it [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2007, 13:53
The more you're emotionally involved, the more you will remember and understand the passage. I usually shoot myself with a little adrenaline on my buttocks and I get emotional quickly
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: RC timing - Pls advice! [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2008, 09:15
Manhattan GMAT tips:

- read the first question before reading the first passage
- determine the number of questions and set your time expectation at 2 mins/question
- look at the length of the passage to see if you can afford to read each paragraph thoroughly. If it's a long one, you should read the first paragraph fully and skim the rest

So far, it has worked for me.

But I think the overall thing is attitude, as mentioned by many others. Your absorption rate increases with how interested you are.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: RC timing - Pls advice! [#permalink] New post 30 May 2008, 13:00
Quote:
I read this thread and started taking RCs personally...as if I am reading my future (!!)

GMATMBA, your quote is very good.
Code:
Guys, Read your future carefully.
It does not matter whether you are in Desert, Ocean , space (viz., in 11th Century economics, recent change in foreign exchange policy, latest Bio oxy 12 sun proof liquid vacuum) Read your future carefully. :-D

Many people dream, but some wake up and work towards it.

Director
Director
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 419 [0], given: 56

Re: RC timing - Pls advice! [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2009, 02:39
purefocus428 wrote:
Manhattan GMAT tips:
- determine the number of questions and set your time expectation at 2 mins/question

How can one determine the number of questions for a given RC in CAT ?? I think this strategy would work for paper format tests only. If I knew in advance that a very-very long RC has just 3 questions to answer, I would probably skip the whole RC, saving almost around 10 min of my time.

ISB 2011-12 thread | Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB
All information related to Indian candidates and B-schools | Indian B-schools accepting GMAT scores
Self evaluation for Why MBA?

Re: RC timing - Pls advice!   [#permalink] 22 Jun 2009, 02:39