Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:43 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1899 [1]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [1]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
I bought a stop watch last night and found out I am trying to read the passage at the most for a minute-minute and a half before answering questions. That may be my problem-I may need to spend a little extra time on the passage and then hopefully that will cut down on the time necessary to answer questions and increase my hit rate. I didn't realize I was spending so little time on the passage, and I didn't realize others spent 3-4 minutes reading a passage..I was trying to rush everything through..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 372 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm deeply interested on this one too.

My right/bad answer percentage is ok, but it takes me more than 2 mins. to answer each question.

I tried the skimming technique suggested by PR, but I was making me do a lot of mistakes on general passage questions, just because I was missing important words, so I started reading slower and it has worked, but that doesn't help timewise.

Please help.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 372 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
[#permalink]
ywilfred: this is what I've been doing lately. I've discovered it helps me a lot more than just skimming.

It's helped to the point that sometimes I don't have to look back at the passage to answer the questions. But sometimes I do have to go back into the passage and that makes me waste a lot of time.

Did you face the same problem? Did you gained speed after a while?

I have not been doing the keyword list, but that sounds like a good idea.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
RC is my bane as well and I am a native English speaker
For some reason even when I was in undergrad I would have to read things a couple of times to get them to sink in..I read very fast but takes me a few tries to comprehend-not sure what the disconnect was
I think I could have gotten a 45+ in verbal instead of a 40 if I was only able to get things into my short term memory on first try.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Concentration: Organization and Management
Schools:Emory class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'd also read some science journals. There's nothing that tests your reading comprehension skills more than something you don't understand to begin with.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1899 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
asdert wrote:
ywilfred: this is what I've been doing lately. I've discovered it helps me a lot more than just skimming.

It's helped to the point that sometimes I don't have to look back at the passage to answer the questions. But sometimes I do have to go back into the passage and that makes me waste a lot of time.

Hey, it's the same with me. I find that there are some questions that you don't have to even refer to the passage to answer. For some other questions, you might have to refer back because they were either referring to a certain line, or they were asking how many examples given in the passage relates to a certain event....

I used the key words only when I run into science passages because the terms used in these passages can be quite long and unwieldy. For the rest like social politics or business passages, I can go without noting the terms down.

It takes about 5-6 minutes to read the passage, but if you understood it well and practices, that would be your only time spent. The questions from there on should take you at most a minute and a half... keep trying and keep practising!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1737 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
ywilfred wrote:
asdert wrote:

Hey, it's the same with me. I find that there are some questions that you don't have to even refer to the passage to answer. For some other questions, you might have to refer back because they were either referring to a certain line, or they were asking how many examples given in the passage relates to a certain event....

I used the key words only when I run into science passages because the terms used in these passages can be quite long and unwieldy. For the rest like social politics or business passages, I can go without noting the terms down.

It takes about 5-6 minutes to read the passage, but if you understood it well and practices, that would be your only time spent. The questions from there on should take you at most a minute and a half... keep trying and keep practising!

I agree w/ this approach. Just practice and ul eventually get ur timing down. Even if it takes u 8min or so, if get everything correct isnt that better than spending 5-6min getting most of the questions wrong?

Practice will let ya know if u can afford the extra time on difficult passages.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
RC - Your Best Strategy - That worked...! [#permalink]
Thanks Folks,

Appreciate your thoughts and if you think there are more, please do chip in. Your feedback is important.

My limited experience with RC has been, that I am either all right on the money or I am so far off... and when I am off... I am usually answering with 'my view' on it then what is being asked...! If I minus my view on it and I get much high percentage correct.

So for now I reckon part of the regime is to practice with your feedback.

Thanks again.

PF
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
jamesrwrightiii wrote:
I bought a stop watch last night and found out I am trying to read the passage at the most for a minute-minute and a half before answering questions. That may be my problem-I may need to spend a little extra time on the passage and then hopefully that will cut down on the time necessary to answer questions and increase my hit rate. I didn't realize I was spending so little time on the passage, and I didn't realize others spent 3-4 minutes reading a passage..I was trying to rush everything through..

You may have taken the advice of PR and prob Kaplan as well. They reason that since you get points for answering questions and not reading the passage, the bulk of your time should be spent on the questions and not reading the passage.

That, my friends, is the dumbest logic anyone can tell you about reading comprehension. What these prep companies fail to realize is that the better you understand the passage, the more quickly you can answer a question.

If you fully comprehend the passage, you end up framing an answer before reading the choices. When you skim through the passage, you see the question and start eliminating the answer choices. There's a huge timing difference between the two approaches.

This works for people who stink in RC. Some people can breeze through the passage and answer the questions lightning fast, no sweat. I hate those people. =P
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: RC - Your Best Strategy - That worked...! [#permalink]
I found the following stratergy to help a great deal. I was pretty bad at RC and now i routinely get 95% right.

There are 2 kinds of RC - short and long. These require 2 diff stratergies.

Short:
Read the 1st para with great detail and sketch it - brief desc, Keywords
For the other para just write down some keywords

Long:
Read the 1st para and sketch all sentences + keywords
1 line sketch for each subsquent paras.

Writing down stuff really helped me with RC.

And as someone already suggested, enjoy reading the passage.

passionateflair wrote:
Hi Folks,

This is to people who are working towards their GMAT exam and also to those who are successfully through it...!

I would like to ask you:

What has really worked for you in developing RC skills?

What ever I have read from formal text (like OG & Princeton Review etc.) so far, I have personally found it to be less appealing. So together with your help I would like to develop something that has worked for most?

Please pour in your thoughts folks.

May be this has been done to death in this forum in the past, but I have not found anything solid yet... if there is good thread already available on the forum could please point it to me....

Many thanks ahead.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I agree with a lot of what's being said here, especially the idea that one careful reading is better than skimming. But I do think it's important to go back to the passage for most questions. If you read the passage and took notes, you should be able to locate the relevant part of the passage quickly. And relying on your memory leaves you open to traps based on subtle points of wording.

Reading comprehension is not really a test of reasoning ability so much as it's a test of your ability to process text (& of your vocabulary). One of the biggest problems test-takers have, I think, is a tendency to over-think RC answers. The best antidote to this is sticking closely to the text itself.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
there is no magic formula but here is what helped me:

Read first paragraph carefully, try to get the main idea (probably also a question)

start reading second and immediately try to connect the first to the second one. Is it an examplified paragraph, opposed, support, etc...

continue with the next one and get that roadmap in your head. Insert some fulff wheer needed :-). Re-read sentences you feel did not sink in properly and will be needed to get full comprehension!

Spend the majority of your time on reading the passage.

Spending 2 minutes more on reading the passage can save you more than that while answering the questions.

my 2 cents
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools:Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Send PM
[#permalink]
I took the LSAT and did quite well on the RC portion of the exam. I took the TestMasters prep course, and they recommended making a little note after each paragraph read so you can keep things in order, and know where to look if you need to go back. This really worked for me. Also, I think the test creators know how long it should take to complete the entire exam. If you take longer than a few minutes to read the paragraph because it is particularly difficult, then you can probably make it up on another RC that is on the easier side if you complete it under time.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
VictoryMBA wrote:
I took the LSAT and did quite well on the RC portion of the exam. I took the TestMasters prep course, and they recommended making a little note after each paragraph read so you can keep things in order, and know where to look if you need to go back. This really worked for me. Also, I think the test creators know how long it should take to complete the entire exam. If you take longer than a few minutes to read the paragraph because it is particularly difficult, then you can probably make it up on another RC that is on the easier side if you complete it under time.

This is precisely the method I used, and it worked beautifully for me, and helped me immeasurably with my recall. Nice thing about RC is that the main idea of the entire RC is ALWAYS in the first paragraph, and often the first sentence in the paragraph. Subsequent paragraphs are set up in the same manner - main idea of each paragraph is usually in the first line. Scribbling down just a few key words from each paragraph can be enough to save you precious seconds when you have to search for specific details - you at least have an idea of where to look, and a decent idea of the RC's reasoning structure as well.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]