Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Oct 2014, 20:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

rc1.png which of the follwoing if true would support the

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Feb 2011
Posts: 197
Schools: ABCD
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 78

rc1.png which of the follwoing if true would support the [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2012, 10:57
[img]rc1.png[/img]



which of the follwoing if true would support the assertion that the settlers of Mass Bay Colony "were concerned by entanglements between church and state"?

1) they established a body of government in the colony that barred ministers from holding public office
2) they disagreed with the governing foundation in England in which the Anglican Church was headed by the King.
3) early settlers wanted to assume their own freedom of religion

a - 1 and 2
b - 3
c - 2
d - 3 and 2
e - 1 and 3


OA states A.


Why is A) correct? Why would the barring of ministers frm holding public office be considered entanglement between the church and the state? for 1) to be true, I have to assume that ministers were from Church.

Thoughts?
Attachments

rc1.png
rc1.png [ 120.24 KiB | Viewed 819 times ]

Expert Post
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 2438
Followers: 310

Kudos [?]: 2599 [0], given: 695

Re: Veritas RC [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2012, 11:03
Expert's post
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 4868
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1145

Kudos [?]: 5328 [1] , given: 165

Re: Veritas RC [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2012, 21:54
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
voodoochild wrote:
[img]rc1.png[/img]



which of the follwoing if true would support the assertion that the settlers of Mass Bay Colony "were concerned by entanglements between church and state"?

1) they established a body of government in the colony that barred ministers from holding public office
2) they disagreed with the governing foundation in England in which the Anglican Church was headed by the King.
3) early settlers wanted to assume their own freedom of religion

a - 1 and 2
b - 3
c - 2
d - 3 and 2
e - 1 and 3


OA states A.


Why is A) correct? Why would the barring of ministers frm holding public office be considered entanglement between the church and the state? for 1) to be true, I have to assume that ministers were from Church.

Thoughts?


When we are talking about the way things were in US a couple of centuries ago, the word 'minister' refers to 'a member of the clergy; a religious minister' and is used in that way only here. It is not used in the context of 'Minister of State' or 'Finance Minister'.
If you have read something on skirmishes between the state and the church, you will see that 'minister' refers to a person from the church.
Now that I think about it, it may not be intuitive to people who read only newspapers. This is the reason we tell you that it is good to read books on different topics. The passage uses tricky language but you can easily figure out what it is telling you with some effort.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 2438
Followers: 310

Kudos [?]: 2599 [0], given: 695

Re: Veritas RC [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2012, 00:11
Expert's post
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
voodoochild wrote:
[img]rc1.png[/img]



which of the follwoing if true would support the assertion that the settlers of Mass Bay Colony "were concerned by entanglements between church and state"?

1) they established a body of government in the colony that barred ministers from holding public office
2) they disagreed with the governing foundation in England in which the Anglican Church was headed by the King.
3) early settlers wanted to assume their own freedom of religion

a - 1 and 2
b - 3
c - 2
d - 3 and 2
e - 1 and 3


OA states A.


Why is A) correct? Why would the barring of ministers frm holding public office be considered entanglement between the church and the state? for 1) to be true, I have to assume that ministers were from Church.

Thoughts?


When we are talking about the way things were in US a couple of centuries ago, the word 'minister' refers to 'a member of the clergy; a religious minister' and is used in that way only here. It is not used in the context of 'Minister of State' or 'Finance Minister'.
If you have read something on skirmishes between the state and the church, you will see that 'minister' refers to a person from the church.
Now that I think about it, it may not be intuitive to people who read only newspapers. This is the reason we tell you that it is good to read books on different topics. The passage uses tricky language but you can easily figure out what it is telling you with some effort.


with all my respect for you Karishma and your preparation (you have a lot of it) but in my personal opinion I see a bunch of RC passages from a wide variety of sources and NO ONE emulate in a good manner the offical ones.

They seem more a paste and cut. OG Passages have, even when are really twisted, a fluency and a consistency.

Anyway, Thanks for your work :)
_________________

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 03 Jul 2012
Posts: 130
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.9
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 16

Re: Veritas RC [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2012, 08:08
Even I got the answer A. Even if u don't know that The Ministers here are religious clerks, I think you can still answer the question. The passage says that the ppl settled in Mass Bay Colony fled England and were concerned about the entanglements between Church and the govt. So, it makes sense that they wanna keep govt ppl away from holding religious positions and vice-versa to avoid the effects of the Church on the govt.
Makes sense? Correct me if I am wrong.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Feb 2011
Posts: 197
Schools: ABCD
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 78

Re: Veritas RC [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2012, 10:43
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
voodoochild wrote:
[img]rc1.png[/img]



which of the follwoing if true would support the assertion that the settlers of Mass Bay Colony "were concerned by entanglements between church and state"?

1) they established a body of government in the colony that barred ministers from holding public office
2) they disagreed with the governing foundation in England in which the Anglican Church was headed by the King.
3) early settlers wanted to assume their own freedom of religion

a - 1 and 2
b - 3
c - 2
d - 3 and 2
e - 1 and 3


OA states A.


Why is A) correct? Why would the barring of ministers frm holding public office be considered entanglement between the church and the state? for 1) to be true, I have to assume that ministers were from Church.

Thoughts?


When we are talking about the way things were in US a couple of centuries ago, the word 'minister' refers to 'a member of the clergy; a religious minister' and is used in that way only here. It is not used in the context of 'Minister of State' or 'Finance Minister'.
If you have read something on skirmishes between the state and the church, you will see that 'minister' refers to a person from the church.
Now that I think about it, it may not be intuitive to people who read only newspapers. This is the reason we tell you that it is good to read books on different topics. The passage uses tricky language but you can easily figure out what it is telling you with some effort.



Karishma,
Thanks for your detailed response. The author doesn't state what happened in the new colonies. How do you know that ministers were from the Church? They could be native Americans too. The passage states that they were concerned about the entanglements between Church and govt in England (even 'UK'/'England' is not said), it doesn't state that such entanglements existed or possible in new colonies......I see your point about knowing outside stuff. I agree that this passage demands knowing something that's not supported in the passage. Please correct me if I am wrong - such answers by default are wrong in official guide/GMAT. Show me any one question that requires outside knowledge. There are a lot of passages in which answers can be false, if you know about the subject. For instance, there is a caffeine passage in OG....it's a good one. With the latest research, some of the answer choices are not supported at all, if you consider outside knowledge.....

I am not sure whether this RC is GMATlike...
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 4868
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1145

Kudos [?]: 5328 [0], given: 165

Re: Veritas RC [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2012, 20:19
Expert's post
voodoochild wrote:

Karishma,
Thanks for your detailed response. The author doesn't state what happened in the new colonies. How do you know that ministers were from the Church? They could be native Americans too. The passage states that they were concerned about the entanglements between Church and govt in England (even 'UK'/'England' is not said), it doesn't state that such entanglements existed or possible in new colonies......I see your point about knowing outside stuff. I agree that this passage demands knowing something that's not supported in the passage. Please correct me if I am wrong - such answers by default are wrong in official guide/GMAT. Show me any one question that requires outside knowledge. There are a lot of passages in which answers can be false, if you know about the subject. For instance, there is a caffeine passage in OG....it's a good one. With the latest research, some of the answer choices are not supported at all, if you consider outside knowledge.....

I am not sure whether this RC is GMATlike...


You need to learn to learn from your mistakes and then move on. Over analyzing only wastes time.
As for this question requiring 'outside knowledge', it doesn't. I agree that some people may not immediately realize that 'minister' refers to 'members of the church'. It's something like the word 'difference'. For some people, difference between a and b implies 'a - b', for others it implies mod(a - b). Such words do appear in OG as well but we know that if GMAC finds cultural differences in performance of a particular question, they omit the question from the bank.
For me and many others, the question is very straight forward because instinctively, minister implies church minister to us. They are after all talking about separating the state and the church. It may not be so for you. So learn and move on.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Veritas RC   [#permalink] 05 Sep 2012, 20:19
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic SUPPORTS - WHICH CATEGORY? mba1010 1 03 Jan 2014, 20:04
Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the ashiima 1 29 Nov 2011, 19:06
Which of the following, if true, would most weaken the rlevochkin 8 09 Aug 2010, 16:27
which of the following must be true? tejal777 2 06 Jun 2009, 03:57
Which of the follwoing represents the range for all x which dreamgmat1 7 15 Jun 2007, 16:57
Display posts from previous: Sort by

rc1.png which of the follwoing if true would support the

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.