Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 13:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

RCs. Is someone facing the same problem as me ?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

RCs. Is someone facing the same problem as me ? [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2009, 22:00
I dont know. If i am the only person, having problem with the RCs.

I used to practice the Gre Rcs. Sometimes i feel, this RCs are Tougher, and makes all my day robs my peace. Sometimes with other Rcs are easier, which makes my that day happier.

I know that this Rcs which are hard for me are tackled by others in easy way. Intelligent those ppl are.

I have no idea, why there is no particular pattern which Rcs appear. I have observed that this RCs are

1. They have various structures.
2. If you just read like a speed train going through tracks- I get all my
answers wrong.
3. In many passages they use WORDS, which are not of daily usage.
4. Just mere Imagination of the reading, mere reading at slow peace. did not
solve my problem.
5. Mere understanding did not solve my problem. Sometimes, i have to go
back and froth for deciding the best answer in questions.

I really don't know why some passages makes easier and the reason other passages hard.

Would it be stubborn to work on the RCs ?
I want to excel, but my results shows that i am not able to do well in Rcs.

any one good peace of advise.
Current Student
Schools: Duke,Oxford,IMD,INSEAD
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: RCs. Is someone facing the same problem as me ? [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2009, 04:35
Welcome to the bad bad bad world of RC's, personally for me I love RC's because from day one of my prep its one place I am concsistently scoring above 80%. I have my own reasons as I am avid reader of WSJ and various articles and opinions all over the net.

I tackle RC by reading it slowly and completely, my memory is pretty good so the entire passage gets into my head before I start answering so i spend nearly 2.5-3 mins on short and 3.5-4 mins on long passages. Most important is to master SC and CR where you can save real big time and use it for RC's which is easy but needs time.

Once I read the passage I mentally note down the important points like inference and the main point. Then I attack the questions one by one and before I read the answer I tend to answer it myself in my mind based on my understanding and then try to look for the answer or eliminate the wrong answers, If I find the right answer well and good if not I go back and search for the answer in the passage.

Most important is concentration and I guess your lacking in that, just for practice and not for the actual exam try to read passage and see if you can rewind the entire passage in your mind in 30 seconds. That would show how much you really grasped and how much you really understood.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: RCs. Is someone facing the same problem as me ? [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2009, 06:01
You are right.

I am just not concentrating on the required ones.

What i found is that. I was using the Rcs of the old papers in word format which are small. I used to get through well above average by 60 %. yeah , as you said by reading the whole passage. By conventional one, and answering the qns.

When i changed to the pattern of the RCs of the EXAM FONT pattern. I found miserable for the first 3 shots ( 3 Rcs.) . which made me frustrated.

I had changed the method. Reading the qns first. Focusing on the passage what is needed to answer it. Instead of understanding Passage by itself and looking for the qns. There is a difference i observed, though both seems to be similar.

I started to look into the qns. Then read the passage what is needed to answer. Focusing on the sentences or for the pattern of the passage on the whole that is needed.

For each qns. it would take me about 2.5 minutes. and the first right answers are most of the times above 60 %. I could figure out that wrong ones are occurred due to lack on the focus on particular sentence or sentence before/after that is needed.

Does this happen with anyone other than me.

I sense that,focusing on what you need to answer is the vital. Answers are there in the passage itself. The wrong answers are due to not rightly looking for the sentence and mere wasting time on other details which are not required.

Does this makes any sense.
Re: RCs. Is someone facing the same problem as me ?   [#permalink] 08 Jul 2009, 06:01