Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 04:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Re-applicant friendly schools

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re-applicant friendly schools [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2012, 15:18
This post was
BOOKMARKED
From talking to people, the consensus seems to be that wharton/booth/kellogg are re-applicant friendly while columbia/sloan are not. I'm thinking of re-applying to columbia/wharton if my GMAT re-take goes well, but i got dinged 2 years ago and also dinged 4 years ago on my first attempt. With Sloan I applied just once before. I'm wondering if re-applying to those programs would be futile. Have you guys ever heard of people getting into columbia/sloan as re-applicants? Did they fundamentally change their work experience or was it more minor tweaks?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Retired Moderator
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Re-applicant friendly schools [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2012, 20:12
Arbitrageur wrote:
From talking to people, the consensus seems to be that wharton/booth/kellogg are re-applicant friendly while columbia/sloan are not. I'm thinking of re-applying to columbia/wharton if my GMAT re-take goes well, but i got dinged 2 years ago and also dinged 4 years ago on my first attempt. With Sloan I applied just once before. I'm wondering if re-applying to those programs would be futile. Have you guys ever heard of people getting into columbia/sloan as re-applicants? Did they fundamentally change their work experience or was it more minor tweaks?

Firstly, Columbia is definitely a re applicant friendly school. Why do you say they are not? 10% of applicants at columbia are re applicants, and 20% of them make it - higher than the overall selectivity of 15-16% (Source: Businessweek, stats from last year). I am not sure about Sloan. Kellogg is definitely reapp friendly and probably the other schools you mention. The only schools I know of which are perceived to be reapplicant unfriendly are HBS and INSEAD.

To get into a Columbia as a reapplicant, more than one of the following should definitely help (not in order of importance):
1. Very good improvement in your GMAT score - assuming you are below 700, taking it above Columbia's GMAT average of 710-720
2. Strong career progression at work - promotions, additional responsibilities, large team. Changing jobs from a smaller company to a bigger company, OR the other way round with a highly exciting role in the smaller company
3. Great recommendations - last time you could have had a weak/bad recommendation, maybe even lukewarm. You'll probably want to select your recommenders much more carefully and monitor their enthusiasm much more closely
4. Excellent essays - hit them out of the park! Columbia of course doesnt give you enough room to do this, requiring only one additional essay from a reapplicant. But you can shine through if your overall profile captures the above + you write a fantastic essay

Hope this helps.

http://unclearadmit.tumblr.com
Latest Blog Entry:
09-05-13 Its been too long ... Updates & the Tuck Loan

Current Student
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE: Project Management (Military & Defense)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 106 [0], given: 149

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Re-applicant friendly schools [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2012, 07:38
str1der wrote:
Firstly, Columbia is definitely a re applicant friendly school. Why do you say they are not? 10% of applicants at columbia are re applicants, and 20% of them make it - higher than the overall selectivity of 15-16% (Source: Businessweek, stats from last year). I am not sure about Sloan. Kellogg is definitely reapp friendly and probably the other schools you mention. The only schools I know of which are perceived to be reapplicant unfriendly are HBS and INSEAD.

To get into a Columbia as a reapplicant, more than one of the following should definitely help (not in order of importance):
1. Very good improvement in your GMAT score - assuming you are below 700, taking it above Columbia's GMAT average of 710-720
2. Strong career progression at work - promotions, additional responsibilities, large team. Changing jobs from a smaller company to a bigger company, OR the other way round with a highly exciting role in the smaller company
3. Great recommendations - last time you could have had a weak/bad recommendation, maybe even lukewarm. You'll probably want to select your recommenders much more carefully and monitor their enthusiasm much more closely
4. Excellent essays - hit them out of the park! Columbia of course doesnt give you enough room to do this, requiring only one additional essay from a reapplicant. But you can shine through if your overall profile captures the above + you write a fantastic essay

Hope this helps.

I hope you are correct. I am a re-applicant to Columbia this year. I took my GMAT from a 700 to a 750, have much better essays, hopefully better recommendations plus I'm applying Early Decision and visited campus this year. Keeping my fingers crossed that all adds up to an admit this time around!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GPA: 3.76
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 6

Re: Re-applicant friendly schools [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2012, 22:54
STANFORD!

They don't compare your previous application from the newer one, unlike Berkeley.
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 535 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Re-applicant friendly schools [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2012, 23:26
Expert's post
Yeah, I've worked with a few reapplicants form Columbia who got in the second time around, and with your very nice improvement in the GMAT, (and hopefully lots of other things too) you should have a good shot.

Also, as far as I know there aren't any schools that hate reapplicants. They key is in the reapplicant him/herself, and how much you can show progress since the last application.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Re: Re-applicant friendly schools   [#permalink] 12 Sep 2012, 23:26