Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 02:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Re-applicant to NYU Stern Part-time - need advice

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re-applicant to NYU Stern Part-time - need advice [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2012, 19:37
Got dinged recently after applying for NYU Stern's Langone program for Fall 2012. Want to reapply right away for Spring 2013. Can you help with these questions -

1. I feel I know my weak areas - no extra-curriculars or major leadership experience or community service. Is it feasible to start on one or more of these now ? can something be done in 2 months before the 9/15 deadline ?
I have decent GMAT score (690), ok GPA (3) and plenty of work experience. Actually I wonder if I have too much of it (means I am too old)

2. Should I take help from admission consultants ? can you recommend any particular consultant who is good with reapplications ? with Stern ?
some have free consultations, should i take them ?

3. the ding letter says nothing about where the application was short. should i contact adcom or someone in admissions office ? will they entertain requests for reasons ?

4. can anybody share their experience with reapplication ? How did you handle it ?

TIA for your help/suggestions, anything, even sympathy....
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 104 [1] , given: 27

Re: Re-applicant to NYU Stern Part-time - need advice [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2012, 22:23
This post received
KUDOS
In order..

1. I feel I know my weak areas - no extra-curriculars or major leadership experience or community service. Is it feasible to start on one or more of these now ? can something be done in 2 months before the 9/15 deadline ? I have decent GMAT score (690), ok GPA (3) and plenty of work experience. Actually I wonder if I have too much of it (means I am too old)
No. You can't do anything significant in 2 months. Delay your app. Focus on something that has long been a passion of yours. Try getting involved in it over the next few months. Make a connection of your recent activities with past ECs/hobbies and try to make it sound good. You really will not be able to show significant leadership experience in this in any case so no point fretting over it.

2. Should I take help from admission consultants ? can you recommend any particular consultant who is good with reapplications ? with Stern ?
some have free consultations, should i take them ?

Take the free consultations with an open mind of NOT necessarily engaging them afterwards. A decision to engage with any consultant should be because you really really need help and not because the free consultation was great. Some consultants offer a 'ding analysis' package. Such packages might be helpful for you to figure out if your perceived weaknesses in your apps were indeed the only weaknesses.

3. the ding letter says nothing about where the application was short. should i contact adcom or someone in admissions office ? will they entertain requests for reasons ?
Although schools in general do mention that they do not provide feedback, some of them do in fact give solid feedback. Tuck comes to mind immediately. Not sure about Stern. In any case, requesting a feedback after making it clear to them that Stern is your top choice this year, will not harm your app this year in any way. If you're lucky you might even get some good pointers.

4. can anybody share their experience with reapplication ? How did you handle it ?
I was a reapplicant this year in R1 having applied in R2 for Fall 2011 (waitlist then ding). Recognizing that I did not have enough time to do something radical, I chose to enhance the stronger points of my app and alleviate the relatively weaker aspects. The strong points were my work ex and international experience. The weaker points were my undergrad performance, ECs and quality of essays. I diversified my work profile consciously by getting involved in many 'business oriented' activities that were not part of my job responsibilities but which were in some way connected to my post-MBA goals. The idea was to highlight the fact that not only was I great at my regular job responsibilities, but I could stretch myself and excel even in additional responsibilities.. I couldn't do much about my undergrad performance so I didn't let that bog me down. As for ECs, I stepped up my involvement in the ECs I was involved in and ensured that I articulated them much better & weaved them properly into a coherent story. I consciously worked at improving my writing skills during this period and this resulted in a vastly improved set of essays compared to the previous year.

In summary, what I'm trying to say is that identifying your strengths & weaknesses is critical. As a reapplicant, we face a double whammy. On the one hand, schools have already seen our previous app and 'know' us better than first time applicants and as reapplicants we already have a sense of what is expected in the essays. On the other hand, we need to show a definite improvement in our candidacy. We not only have to alleviate the weaknesses but also improve our strengths lest the ad com think that we are resting on our laurels and not pushing ourselves. Hence it would be best if you don't rush your app. Take some time to think of what really are your strengths & weaknesses, take the time to work on them & polish them and then present your best application.

Good luck!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Re-applicant to NYU Stern Part-time - need advice [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2012, 17:17
scorpionz ,

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the detailed reply and sincere advice !
I will definitely keep all that in mind as I prepare to re-apply.

-Joe.
Intern
Intern

Re: Re-applicant to NYU Stern Part-time - need advice [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2012, 11:32
Is there any particular consultant you would recommend who -

- has experience with re-applications
- knows the requirements for NYU Stern's Langone (part-time) program
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 27

Re: Re-applicant to NYU Stern Part-time - need advice [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2012, 19:53
I cannot help you with specific admission consultant recommendations but please browse the Admission Consultants thread to get a better idea of the consultants active around here. You might want to get in touch with them and get a feel about their experience with this particular school.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Re-applicant to NYU Stern Part-time - need advice [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2012, 11:15
Would you suggest enrolling for any courses at a university or community college that will be considered a plus by the admission com ?
I am thinking of registering for 1 or 2 courses and mention in the essays that I did that to better prepare myself for MBA.

What will be the ideal course, something in finance ? or Marketing ? Leadership ?
Intern
Intern

Re: Re-applicant to NYU Stern Part-time - need advice [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2012, 12:32
Anybody applying for Spring 2013 for the Langone program ?
Any re-applicants ?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Re-applicant to NYU Stern Part-time - need advice [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2012, 04:52
I also got dinged for fall 2012, reworked my whole application including my gmat and applied again for spring 2013 a day before the deadline. There are multiple online resources that are out there that helped me in the reapplication process. But i think the most important factor was raising my gmat score from 620 to 700, as well as being more clear and precise in my essays.
Intern
Intern

Re: Re-applicant to NYU Stern Part-time - need advice [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2012, 15:32
pdplink wrote:
I also got dinged for fall 2012, reworked my whole application including my gmat and applied again for spring 2013 a day before the deadline. There are multiple online resources that are out there that helped me in the reapplication process. But i think the most important factor was raising my gmat score from 620 to 700, as well as being more clear and precise in my essays.

pdplink,
I havent applied yet. got a little lazy. do you mind sharing the online resources you found helpful ?
really appreciate your support.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 1

Re: Re-applicant to NYU Stern Part-time - need advice [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2012, 19:18
Whenever you reapply to any school, first of all remember that you have to specifically address what is different between your candidacy this year and the year when you applied.
Further, I always recommend that you write a totally new application including writing new essays as what you did in the past did not work and may not show your best work.
Lastly, I would attend every admissions event you possibly can so that admissions can see your interest and commitment to enrolling in the program.

Getting into NYU as a re-applicant is not impossible, but the process has to be handled properly. We have a well developed admissions consulting program and successfully advise many re-applicants who gain admissions to their programs of choice.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Re-applicant to NYU Stern Part-time - need advice [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2012, 07:10
joenorthy wrote:
pdplink wrote:

pdplink,
I havent applied yet. got a little lazy. do you mind sharing the online resources you found helpful ?
really appreciate your support.

Mba mission, Admissionado, and accepted provides a great deal of free resources. It mostly helped me on my essay writing. For the Gmat, I reused the books that I bought. Read through kaplan 2012 and completed all the problems in official gmat and princeton review as well.
Re: Re-applicant to NYU Stern Part-time - need advice   [#permalink] 04 Oct 2012, 07:10