Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 20:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Re: My GMAT Experience 770 (Q:50; V46)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: My GMAT Experience 770 (Q:50; V46) [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2012, 13:43
This post received
KUDOS
Hi All,

I have been visiting this forum on and off for about a month but never really posted anything until today.
I took my GMAT yesterday and got a 770 (Q:50, V:46).
Introduction:
Just a brief introduction about myself, I have never showed any stellar academic capabilities throughout my student life. In fact I pretty much sucked at ACT :( although I did a whole lot better on the SAT :).
I did not really care much for the GMAT just as I did not care much for any of the previous tests I've taken in my life. In my opinion any exercise that does not help to build long term cognitive or other abilities is a ridiculous waste of time. The GMAC tries to convince people that the GMAT score has a pretty strong correlation to a student's potential academic performance in the first year of a Business Administration program. A lot of my friends seem to think the GMAT Exam is the make or break thing in their lives. Trust me it is not, unless you think you are a mere statistic!.
I did not have any intention of writing the GMAT until I realized that I couldn't get into most of the good MBA programs without writing it. Well, I guess the GMAT has plenty of different stakeholders attached to its value chain, the test writers, Test Prep Guides....ok they all need to make a living. So the GMAT it was...
Background:
I read through some of the forums and other resources available to get a handle on the material. I soon found out that there were too many experts (at least people who claimed they were experts!) out there.
I bought the Official Guide for Verbal and Quant Sections and the Kaplan GMAT guide then took a couple of diagnostic tests. The results were all in the 85 percent range. I dug a little deeper to realize that my strengths were in the Number Theory, Discrete Math and Probability areas of the Quant section. In the verbal section I did not see any obvious weaknesses except in a few Sentence Correction questions. I have a natural ability to read different types of material and comprehend them swiftly.
Preparation:
Basically I decided to prepare for about 6 - 7 weeks from mid January and take the GMAT exam by the end of February. I studied rather sporadically, I was frequently on business trips and client meetings and didn't find a whole lot of time to prep. I did get a few hours in on the weekends but my weekdays were inconsistent(although my friends thought I was onto something strange!).
PREP EXAMS:
I took a GMATPrep test and got a 730 (Q:50, V42). I reckoned I would be alright if I could keep my concentration for the length of the exam.
I then wrote the remaining exam from the GMATPrep software. I did try some of the other Test maker's software and found most of them were far from the the official test writer's standard. I didn't bother with any of them.
I got the older version of GMATPrep and PowerPrep for 4 more Exams from the official test maker.
I scored pretty well reaching 770 in two of the tests.
EXAM DAY:
I was glad when it finally arrived so I could get the exam out of the way. I finished the AWA section and took the optional break actually ended by losing 1 minute because I exceeded the break time limit.
The Quant section went pretty well, the questions seemed to get progressively tougher and then came a few Probability and Combination questions. Discrete Math, Probability and Statistics are some of my stronger areas, at this point I was annihilating the GMAT by answering these questions in about 40 secs. I finished the quant section with 7 minutes to spare.
The verbal section was pretty standard although the Sentence Correction questions looked a little strange. I found the passages a drag but went through and completed the Verbal section with 4 minutes to spare.
Saw my score and thought well, I might as well make a trip to Vegas!... :-D before my luck runs out.
Conclusion:
The GMAT is but one part of your candidacy, I wouldn't recommend anybody going completely crazy over it.
As with all Standardized Tests the GMAT is all about how you prep for it, it is not really a test of your Quantitative or Verbal skills, in fact far it is far from it. The content and style of testing are the most important parameters, please avoid using dubious prep material. A lot of folks (including ones in this forum :-D , no offense intended) simply express and sometimes endorse their opinions to questions particularly in the Verbal section often times when they are completely wrong.
I found the Manhattan forums and the instructors real experts on the Subject Matter and they were a great resource.

Figure out a study plan that suits your lifestyle and learning method. Either ways do not go crazy over the GMAT, at the end of the day your performance on this test is but one part of the holistic application package.
Remember you are better off going to a school where you are not seen merely as a Statistic.
Look at the GMAT as an opportunity to acquire certain skills such as Mental Math, Grammar and Sentence construction, fast and accurate reading etc. rather than a test which needs to be aced, you will be surprised how well you perform!.

I will try to stay here for a few more days and answer questions.

Good Luck!.

Best,
Gman
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: My GMAT Experience 770 (Q:50; V46) [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2012, 14:43
gsbusiness2011 wrote:
Hi All,

I have been visiting this forum on and off for about a month but never really posted anything until today.
I took my GMAT yesterday and got a 770 (Q:50, V:46).
Introduction:
Just a brief introduction about myself, I have never showed any stellar academic capabilities throughout my student life. In fact I pretty much sucked at ACT :( although I did a whole lot better on the SAT :).
I did not really care much for the GMAT just as I did not care much for any of the previous tests I've taken in my life. In my opinion any exercise that does not help to build long term cognitive or other abilities is a ridiculous waste of time. The GMAC tries to convince people that the GMAT score has a pretty strong correlation to a student's potential academic performance in the first year of a Business Administration program. A lot of my friends seem to think the GMAT Exam is the make or break thing in their lives. Trust me it is not, unless you think you are a mere statistic!.
I did not have any intention of writing the GMAT until I realized that I couldn't get into most of the good MBA programs without writing it. Well, I guess the GMAT has plenty of different stakeholders attached to its value chain, the test writers, Test Prep Guides....ok they all need to make a living. So the GMAT it was...
Background:
I read through some of the forums and other resources available to get a handle on the material. I soon found out that there were too many experts (at least people who claimed they were experts!) out there.
I bought the Official Guide for Verbal and Quant Sections and the Kaplan GMAT guide then took a couple of diagnostic tests. The results were all in the 85 percent range. I dug a little deeper to realize that my strengths were in the Number Theory, Discrete Math and Probability areas of the Quant section. In the verbal section I did not see any obvious weaknesses except in a few Sentence Correction questions. I have a natural ability to read different types of material and comprehend them swiftly.
Preparation:
Basically I decided to prepare for about 6 - 7 weeks from mid January and take the GMAT exam by the end of February. I studied rather sporadically, I was frequently on business trips and client meetings and didn't find a whole lot of time to prep. I did get a few hours in on the weekends but my weekdays were inconsistent(although my friends thought I was onto something strange!).
PREP EXAMS:
I took a GMATPrep test and got a 730 (Q:50, V42). I reckoned I would be alright if I could keep my concentration for the length of the exam.
I then wrote the remaining exam from the GMATPrep software. I did try some of the other Test maker's software and found most of them were far from the the official test writer's standard. I didn't bother with any of them.
I got the older version of GMATPrep and PowerPrep for 4 more Exams from the official test maker.
I scored pretty well reaching 770 in two of the tests.
EXAM DAY:
I was glad when it finally arrived so I could get the exam out of the way. I finished the AWA section and took the optional break actually ended by losing 1 minute because I exceeded the break time limit.
The Quant section went pretty well, the questions seemed to get progressively tougher and then came a few Probability and Combination questions. Discrete Math, Probability and Statistics are some of my stronger areas, at this point I was annihilating the GMAT by answering these questions in about 40 secs. I finished the quant section with 7 minutes to spare.
The verbal section was pretty standard although the Sentence Correction questions looked a little strange. I found the passages a drag but went through and completed the Verbal section with 4 minutes to spare.
Saw my score and thought well, I might as well make a trip to Vegas!... :-D before my luck runs out.
Conclusion:
The GMAT is but one part of your candidacy, I wouldn't recommend anybody going completely crazy over it.
As with all Standardized Tests the GMAT is all about how you prep for it, it is not really a test of your Quantitative or Verbal skills, in fact far it is far from it. The content and style of testing are the most important parameters, please avoid using dubious prep material. A lot of folks (including ones in this forum :-D , no offense intended) simply express and sometimes endorse their opinions to questions particularly in the Verbal section often times when they are completely wrong.
I found the Manhattan forums and the instructors real experts on the Subject Matter and they were a great resource.

Figure out a study plan that suits your lifestyle and learning method. Either ways do not go crazy over the GMAT, at the end of the day your performance on this test is but one part of the holistic application package.
Remember you are better off going to a school where you are not seen merely as a Statistic.
Look at the GMAT as an opportunity to acquire certain skills such as Mental Math, Grammar and Sentence construction, fast and accurate reading etc. rather than a test which needs to be aced, you will be surprised how well you perform!.

I will try to stay here for a few more days and answer questions.

Good Luck!.

Best,
Gman

Congratulations on your top score. I am also hoping to receive a score similar to yours when I take the test. I like the fact that you said that the GMAT is an opportunity to acquire skills in Math and English and Critical Reading and Reasoning. It is true, as I feel that the skills acquired during my time of preparation will suit me well sometime in the future. Good luck to you in all your future endeavors.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Sloan '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: My GMAT Experience 770 (Q:50; V46) [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2012, 14:58
wow great score, good luck with the mba applications :)
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 288

Kudos [?]: 660 [0], given: 6

Re: My GMAT Experience 770 (Q:50; V46) [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2012, 15:21
Expert's post
Great score =D and as you said the GMAT is about the prep process - you'll learn a lot in the process. It was good you were consistently hitting 700s before...go party it up in vegas!

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 13

Re: My GMAT Experience 770 (Q:50; V46) [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2013, 11:13
congrats for great score
Re: My GMAT Experience 770 (Q:50; V46)   [#permalink] 12 Jan 2013, 11:13