Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 09:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Re-take GMAT? What would you if you were me?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re-take GMAT? What would you if you were me? [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2013, 08:49
Hi there.
First of all, I would want to thank the gmatclub and all the members who shared their insights.

I was just wondering what other people would do to maximize their time/money/chance of getting accepted.

So I have a GMAT score that is on the lower edge of range of my target schools and a significantly weak part.
I have 690 (M:50 V:33) with AWA:4 and IR:1 (yes. 1 on IR.. haha)
Just to give you more of my background, I am an Asian American who went to state university and will have 8 full years of experience by the time I start the school.
6 year in accounting firm for audit and sales (US and international experience) rest years or so for co-founder of a startup (didn't go well) and employee of a startup (doing well).

I am thinking of applying following schools (reach: HBS, Stanford, Target: Sloan, Kellogg, Others: Yale, NYU, Duke, U of Virginia)
I was originally going to apply for round 1 for few of these schools with my existing GMAT score and retake GMAT in November and apply the rest in Round 2.
Then, I spoke to a Kellogg alum yesterday, he said he would focus more on writing killer essays and spend more time on mapping out the whole application rather than re-taking GMAT.
Unless I know for sure I will score 750 or higher. He doesn't see much advantage if I score 720 and below.

What would you do if you were me?
1. Re-take GMAT (there is guaranteed higher IR and more likely higher score on AWA, probably similar math if not higher, but no guarantee on higher verbal as I stopped studying since January.) and keep the original application plan.
2. Go with what I have and spend much more time on other part of my application. And explain how I can mitigate extremely low score on IR section.
3. Other advice.

I know that getting a higher GMAT score is good in any case, but I'm trying to evaluate what would be the best way to allocate my time/effort with given capacity.
Thank you all very much in advance. and Good Luck on your journey!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Affiliations: SPG Platinum, Southwest A-List
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.56
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 85 [1] , given: 24

Premium Member
Re: Re-take GMAT? What would you if you were me? [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2013, 20:08
This post received
KUDOS
Honestly, if you want to maximize your chance of getting accepted, I think you should retake the GMAT - especially for your reach schools. Is there any way retaking the GMAT would not impact the quality of your essays? Ideally, I would focus on both the essays and the GMAT. The application itself is generally not too time-consuming (compared to essays and GMAT). Maybe you could find reputable friends, colleagues, etc. to review your essays and provide feedback, so you have more time to study for the GMAT?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: Re-take GMAT? What would you if you were me? [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2013, 08:41
missxmelon wrote:
Honestly, if you want to maximize your chance of getting accepted, I think you should retake the GMAT - especially for your reach schools. Is there any way retaking the GMAT would not impact the quality of your essays? Ideally, I would focus on both the essays and the GMAT. The application itself is generally not too time-consuming (compared to essays and GMAT). Maybe you could find reputable friends, colleagues, etc. to review your essays and provide feedback, so you have more time to study for the GMAT?

Thank you for your input on this missxmelon!
Yeh.. writing a killer essay and tackling on GMAT is an ideal solution.
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 519 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Re-take GMAT? What would you if you were me? [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2013, 04:53
Expert's post
okwon619 wrote:
Hi there.
First of all, I would want to thank the gmatclub and all the members who shared their insights.

I was just wondering what other people would do to maximize their time/money/chance of getting accepted.

So I have a GMAT score that is on the lower edge of range of my target schools and a significantly weak part.
I have 690 (M:50 V:33) with AWA:4 and IR:1 (yes. 1 on IR.. haha)
Just to give you more of my background, I am an Asian American who went to state university and will have 8 full years of experience by the time I start the school.
6 year in accounting firm for audit and sales (US and international experience) rest years or so for co-founder of a startup (didn't go well) and employee of a startup (doing well).

I am thinking of applying following schools (reach: HBS, Stanford, Target: Sloan, Kellogg, Others: Yale, NYU, Duke, U of Virginia)
I was originally going to apply for round 1 for few of these schools with my existing GMAT score and retake GMAT in November and apply the rest in Round 2.
Then, I spoke to a Kellogg alum yesterday, he said he would focus more on writing killer essays and spend more time on mapping out the whole application rather than re-taking GMAT.
Unless I know for sure I will score 750 or higher. He doesn't see much advantage if I score 720 and below.

What would you do if you were me?
1. Re-take GMAT (there is guaranteed higher IR and more likely higher score on AWA, probably similar math if not higher, but no guarantee on higher verbal as I stopped studying since January.) and keep the original application plan.
2. Go with what I have and spend much more time on other part of my application. And explain how I can mitigate extremely low score on IR section.
3. Other advice.

I know that getting a higher GMAT score is good in any case, but I'm trying to evaluate what would be the best way to allocate my time/effort with given capacity.
Thank you all very much in advance. and Good Luck on your journey!

Tough call. It depends on:
a) How old you are
b) How strong your profile is otherwise
c) What you would do if you don't get in
d) Whether you can wait another year
e) How easily you would get a higher score.

The difference between a 690 and a 720 is more than 30 points, it's the difference of being "below average" and above.... But again it depends on how much time you have and how easily you can get a higher score. And your essays might suffer (or at least you would be able to submit less applications).

Basically, if it's really important that you get in THIS year, forget about the GMAT, just go for it, writing the best essays you can. If you have the luxury of waiting, maybe yes retake and see if you can pull that 720+ because it WILL make a difference.

MAke sense?

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Re: Re-take GMAT? What would you if you were me?   [#permalink] 08 Oct 2013, 04:53