Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2014, 09:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Re-take plan critique requested

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 580 Q37 V32
GMAT 2: 570 Q36 V32
GMAT 3: 680 Q44 V40
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 159

Re-take plan critique requested [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2013, 09:17
Hi, GMATters,

I gave my first attempt at the exam last week and it bombed - (580) :( :oops: :cry: On review of how my preparation was for the first attempt which lead to this disaster, I have come up with the following:

1. Didn't complete OG
2. Did not root cause/analyze why my mock scores were not improving. (My mocks were in the range of 580-610 - eventually not different from my final score)
3. Patchy preparation - I think I put in less than 100 hours in total despite clearly seeing the need for a more focused effort. I went through the MGMAT Strategy Guides and then only about 50-60 odd independent questions from GMATClub and Grockit combined.

My target is to apply for Fall 2014 and my target score is between 690-720, which I really think is more reflective of my ability :oops: :| With the first attempt down the drain, I am now looking to give my second shot by mid October and would really appreciate some critique of the plan below.

Quant (Target Score Q45-48):
Math has always been a tough subject for me but I was pleased to find GMAT Math definitely more easy to understand than all that I had studied in my 11th-12th Grade or Engineering but given my previous allergy towards math, I feel the above score is reachable. My score in GMAT last week was Q37.
1. Complete OG and GMAT® Quantitative Review, 2nd Edition
2. Mock CATs
3. 10- 12 PDF Sectional Tests

Verbal (Target Score V40-44):
So this is my cross. English has always been my strength, so this is part ego and part indignation at my current score of V32 :evil: :x . My first GMATPrep 1 attemp about 2-3 years ago had V44 :cry: , so I really think I am doing something terribly wrong here.
1. Complete OG and GMAT® Verbal Review
2. Mock CATs
3. 10- 12 PDF Sectional Tests

The first idea is to just put in brute effort and time and to go through the OG between today and 7th September. I then want to give my first MGMAT on 8th Sept and evaluate if there have been any improvements. I would love to get feedback on whether I should do something else, anything more or if the above plan can get me to my target range.

Look forward to any thoughts on how others have nailed this GMAT beast in 30-40 days.

:help2

-MBAJunkie

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Schools: HBS '16, Fuqua
GMAT 1: 510 Q25 V36
GMAT 2: 510 Q29 V31
WE: Research (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Re-take plan critique requested [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2013, 14:50
Good start at recognising how you can improve. It be worthwhile also thinking about what concepts need to be strengthened and whether any particular GMAT strategies would be worth learning.

It also might be worthwhile to consider your learning style and think what additional support might be useful. On-line course, tutor, study group.

There are also links on the website which outline how others improved their score which you might find useful.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 580 Q37 V32
GMAT 2: 570 Q36 V32
GMAT 3: 680 Q44 V40
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 159

Re: Re-take plan critique requested [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2013, 17:57
sarahrs wrote:
Good start at recognising how you can improve. It be worthwhile also thinking about what concepts need to be strengthened and whether any particular GMAT strategies would be worth learning.

It also might be worthwhile to consider your learning style and think what additional support might be useful. On-line course, tutor, study group.

There are also links on the website which outline how others improved their score which you might find useful.

Posted from my mobile device Image

Thanks Sarah! Good point, especially about the learning style. Appreciate your input! :)

-MBAJunkie

Re: Re-take plan critique requested   [#permalink] 20 Aug 2013, 17:57