Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 02:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Re-Taking GMAT - Using Knewton

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Arizona State University
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re-Taking GMAT - Using Knewton [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2009, 13:49
Hey everybody,
I took the GMAT on Nov. 20th and scored an embarrassing 430 (19 Math, 28 Verbal, Essays 5.5). I took one practice test from GMATPrep after one week of studying and scored a 450.

I did everything wrong before the test including the following:
1. Studied roughly 8 weeks, averaging only 5 hours per wk until the final 2 weeks.
2. Week before exam, studied 50 hours+. I was so tired I couldn't think straight
3. Crammed the day before exam (7 hours)
4. Slept a total of 4 hours night before exam (usually need 8).
5. Had a difficult time finding test center in the building.
6. Never had an organized study curriculum for Exam.
7. No confidence in taking the test.
8. Studied verbal a total of 6 hrs (maybe).

Since then, I have found this message board and it has really helped me. I signed up for the Knewton Program after reading hundreds of posts about all the various companies and what they offer.

I am re-taking the test Dec. 28th. My Knewton online classes begin Dec. 1st, but I'm reviewing archived classes right now to get a jump start.

Does anybody have any suggestions for me in improving my study methods (especially week before exam)? I have a career where I can dedicate 40hrs a week to studying if I really wanted to (my mind would explode though).

Here are a few details about me:
1. I'm 37yrs old and haven't studied in years.
2. I have always struggled with Math
3. I will understand certain basic Math concepts but get confused when put into a GMAT question form (wording of question or Data Sufficiency)
4. Education is in Liberal Arts (History and Mandarin Chinese), not Business.
5. I need a 500 to get into the program I want. My goal is a 550 (just to be safe)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will update everyone on my experience with Knewton as I go through the course as well.

Thanks,

Tim
Knewton GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2274

Kudos [?]: 8785 [0], given: 3666

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Re-Taking GMAT - Using Knewton [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2009, 14:02
Expert's post
in this case, absolutely get MGMAT Number properties and would also recommend MGMAT Word Translations. They will compliment the Knewton class.

One thing about GMAT - the key to success is to have a solid base in basics (math, grammar) and to follow all strategies EXACTLY as they are provided. No need to solve thousands of questions.

P.S. Sounds like identified all of your problem areas with planning and scheduling. Just avoid these things next time and you should get at least 20-30 more points.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 7

Re: Re-Taking GMAT - Using Knewton [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2009, 17:47
What you want is TOTALLY achievable! Remember you will agree on Dec 28 when you see your score. But before that you have to do some things 100% correct and they are:

1. You are sleeping 10 hours on Dec 27. Even if you wont get any slepp just hit the bed and watch TV or read a book or do anything else but study for GMAT. This means all your preparation should end by Dec 27, no it should end by I would say Dec 10. By preparation I mean concepts/questio type/etc., All you do in the later part is practice, practice, practice.

2. As bb said, if you pick up Manhattan MATH books and finish one after one, followed by the practice that would be enough for you to land at 550.

3. For you, Icing on cake is that if you could pick up couple more questions in V, you may end up with 6XX. I am not exaggertaing but think about this in the background.

Good luck.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Check-out the following:
---------------------------------------------------------------
1. Math Divisibility Test

Intern
Intern

Re: Re-Taking GMAT - Using Knewton [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2009, 11:32
Thanks bb and sharkk, I will get the Manhattan Math books today. It's funny how on many math problems if you asked me how to do something I can figure it out. Put it in a question where I have to think a little and I fall apart!?!

sharkk, I will follow your study advice. That's one thing I rarely did last time was practice. When I took the GMAT I had practice so infrequently (and had a poor Math foundation) I ended up guessing on the last 10 Math questions to beat the clock.

Tim
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: Re-Taking GMAT - Using Knewton [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2009, 14:08
TimmyVegas wrote:
Hey everybody,
I took the GMAT on Nov. 20th and scored an embarrassing 430 (19 Math, 28 Verbal, Essays 5.5). I took one practice test from GMATPrep after one week of studying and scored a 450.

I did everything wrong before the test including the following:
1. Studied roughly 8 weeks, averaging only 5 hours per wk until the final 2 weeks.
It is possible, I did it and only spent 6 weeks preparing at home for the GMAT. I however have a mathematical brain all my life. The verbal is o'right as long as you read lots of stuff. I also learnt good grammar at school.. I however got a very high score - Anyone can.
2. Week before exam, studied 50 hours+. I was so tired I couldn't think straight
I also went nuts like you but 3 weeks before the exam and studied about 6-8 hours per day. I sent my family on vacation
3. Crammed the day before exam (7 hours)
Wrong - I went shopping the day before
4. Slept a total of 4 hours night before exam (usually need 8).
I slept 6 hours
5. Had a difficult time finding test center in the building.
I did too
6. Never had an organized study curriculum for Exam.
I did actually - it is important that you set one and stick to it - No excuses!!!
7. No confidence in taking the test.
You have to be positive and remain calm the day of the exam - Why this test will be any different than those you did at school
8. Studied verbal a total of 6 hrs (maybe).
I am assuming your first language is English. Otherwise this was a big mistake on your part.

Since then, I have found this message board and it has really helped me. I signed up for the Knewton Program after reading hundreds of posts about all the various companies and what they offer.

I am re-taking the test Dec. 28th. My Knewton online classes begin Dec. 1st, but I'm reviewing archived classes right now to get a jump start.

Does anybody have any suggestions for me in improving my study methods (especially week before exam)? I have a career where I can dedicate 40hrs a week to studying if I really wanted to (my mind would explode though).

Here are a few details about me:
1. I'm 37yrs old and haven't studied in years.
2. I have always struggled with Math
3. I will understand certain basic Math concepts but get confused when put into a GMAT question form (wording of question or Data Sufficiency)
4. Education is in Liberal Arts (History and Mandarin Chinese), not Business.
5. I need a 500 to get into the program I want. My goal is a 550 (just to be safe)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will update everyone on my experience with Knewton as I go through the course as well.

Thanks,

Tim
Intern
Intern

Re: Re-Taking GMAT - Using Knewton [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2009, 10:52
Thanks Lugo for the advice!

I took Knewton's first Diagnostic Exam yesterday and here were my scores: 490 (25Q, 32V). My pacing was totally off (just like test day). I had 15 minutes in the Verbal to finish the last 15 questions! Had to speed round the last 9 Math questions as well. I REALLY need to practice pacing.

Tim
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Re-Taking GMAT - Using Knewton [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2009, 09:11
Timmy, it's really worth studying hard and properly for this, because even the slightest improvement will be noticeable in your score!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Re-Taking GMAT - Using Knewton [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2009, 09:13
LUGO, where does your name come from? Is it from the province?
Re: Re-Taking GMAT - Using Knewton   [#permalink] 07 Dec 2009, 09:13