Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 21:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Re: today's SC question of the day

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
GMAT 1: Q V
GRE 1: 1600 Q800 V800
GRE 2: 1600 Q800 V800
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 76 [1] , given: 2

Re: today's SC question of the day [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2011, 07:06
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

69% (01:47) correct 31% (00:25) wrong based on 16 sessions
I couldn't seem to leave a comment on today's SC Question of the Day. Sorry, kind of a noob here. I notice, though, that none of the Q of the D I saw has comments....

Anyway, I liked the question, so I thought I'd comment here. This is my first time viewing a Q of the D, so forgive me if my comment is more than is expected.

Here is dzyubam's SC:

It takes a deft balance between savings discipline, investment knowledge, risk taking, luck, and time to raise a million dollars through investments.

(A) It takes a deft balance between
(B) Deft balancing is needed between
(C) Deftly balanced, it takes
(D) It takes a deft balance of
(E) A deft balance is what one needs among

Clever question. I like that the question first seems to involve a choice between "between" and "among," but the best answer uses neither. Very like the GMAT, and a reminder NOT to craft an ideal answer in your head, but to work from the choices.

A and B are wrong because of "between."

The next most useful split is the position of the modifiers "among..." and "deftly balanced."

The placeholder "it" is fine in C, but it can't take the modifier "deftly balanced," so C is out.

The modifier "among..." should touch the noun it modifies, the list "savings discipline, investment knowledge, risk taking, luck, and time," so E is out.

D!
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 46

Re: today's SC question of the day [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2011, 08:26
Hi MichaelS, Thank you for your response.

Can you please illustrate - "[highlight]The modifier "among..." should touch the noun it modifies[/highlight]" with example?

Cheers!
Aj.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What you do TODAY is important because you're exchanging a day of your life for it!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE: Accounting (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: today's SC question of the day [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2011, 08:50
+1 for D

A---->when there is a comparison between is used i.e "Between x and Y" and X and Y should be parallel so A is out scope

B-->Same as above so B is out

C--->) Deftly balance looks awkward

D--->Sounds good.

E---->looks awkward

+1 Kudos If found helpful..

1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 76 [1] , given: 2

Re: today's SC question of the day [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2011, 10:16
This post received
KUDOS
About between vs. among:
I should have said that A and B are wrong because "between" can't be used with more than two objects. You say "between x and y," but "among x, y, and z."

About that modifier issue:
Noun modifiers must touch the nouns they modify, with just a few exceptions. The core of this sentence is, It takes a balance to raise dollars. Everything else is a modifier. In D, the phrase of savings discipline, investment knowledge, risk taking, luck, and time correctly modifies the noun balance. In E the phrase among savings discipline, investment knowledge, risk taking, luck, and time is incorrectly separated from the noun it's meant to modify, still balance. Instead it seems to nonsensically modify the entire clause A balance is what one needs. That's when one needs a balance, when one is among savings, etc. Huh? Again, that's nonsense.

Hope that helps!

Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 260

Kudos [?]: 1520 [1] , given: 247

Re: today's SC question of the day [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2011, 21:45
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
As I compliment Michaels for his excellent insight into this topic, May I also complement the analysis from another dimension concerning the contextual use of among vs of; let me illustrate

Let us take a case of selecting a balanced food. We say, we want a balanced food of Carbohydrates proteins, lipid, minerals, vitamins and fiber, because here we want each of the nutrients to be present in judicious quantities. We do not say we want a balanced food among xyz and so on. In other words, when we to specify a set of choice from a number of given attributes, we may use ‘among’; when we want an amalgam of all the attributes, we may say ‘of’. You can see how the prepositional idiom ‘among’ gives way to ‘of’ to maintain the correct meaning, which is what I think, GMAT is to wanting to inculcate these days.

A kudo each for MichaelS and dzyubam for their ‘meaningful’ contributions.

One personal question for MichaelS: I see that you have already achieved the maximum in GRE and GMAT; what is the reason for your re-writing these tests? Is there any professional advantage in doing that or is it just for the heck of it? You may ignore this query, if you do not like.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 2

Re: today's SC question of the day [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2011, 22:43
I take the tests for work. Nested in that horrible picture of me you'll notice the MGMAT logo. The tests can be fun though. I'll take the GMAT again once the big changes hit. Likewise, although I took the GRE just last year, I'll probably take it again in the next several weeks to see the real new test for myself.

Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 59

Re: today's SC question of the day [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2011, 10:48
MichaelS wrote:
I take the tests for work. Nested in that horrible picture of me you'll notice the MGMAT logo. The tests can be fun though. I'll take the GMAT again once the big changes hit. Likewise, although I took the GRE just last year, I'll probably take it again in the next several weeks to see the real new test for myself.

Im really impressed by seeing score like this.. +1 for that.. cheers
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GPA: 3.65
WE: Project Management (Real Estate)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 56

GMAT Tests User
Re: today's SC question of the day [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2011, 16:00
I picked D. "among" doesn't work in option E
Re: today's SC question of the day   [#permalink] 21 Sep 2011, 16:00