Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:56 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Re: Re-took GMAT .. advice requested [#permalink]
Expert Reply
sdd996 wrote:
Not sure if it helps any, but I just got my AWA score and it was a 6.0. That's up from a 5.5 on my first take.

Unfortunately test day throws up some bad surprises!

I agree with your own analysis of the situation- go with the latest test and the higher Quant score. You can prove your good communication skills through the essays, and hopefully the interview thereafter.

You are applying to programs known for their finance specialization, and your career goals are related to finance. Good quant skills will speak volumes for you.

As you are applying to highly competitive courses, I agree that you should underscore the importance of a solid overall application- this could have been the area where you lacked last year. So, go all out in getting this aspect right, with special focus on : career goals, why XYZ school and why you fit in there.

All the best,

Namita,
https://www.mbadecoder.com
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Detail: MBA admissions help
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2000
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
the schools will see all of your GMAT scores. whatever you decide to "submit" is what's used for their own reporting, but the adcom will see everything.

in my judgment, there's not a big gap between the two scores, so the adcom will see this as your "true" set point in this area. given your background, your career goals, and the programs you're choosing, i'd say this is not a huge concern.

your challenge will be to present a truly humanized version of who you are in your essays. you could come across as kind of robotic given your background and career goals, so be sure to include a lot of self reflection and insight into your essays. this will demonstrate leadership potential, maturity, and team skills, which will be what the adcom looks for given your obvious strength with analytics and quant. and even though the programs you're targeting aren't "known" for these traits, they are still foundational across all the b schools.

hope this helps,
-James Young
GMAT Club Bot