Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 20:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Re: VR, 2ed, Q # 59

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: VR, 2ed, Q # 59 [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2013, 12:19
Hello,

Could you please help me understand the below ? two questions.

Certain pesticides can become ineffective if used repeatedly in the same place; on reason is suggested by the finding that there are much larger populations of pesticide-degrading microbes in soils with a relatively long history of pesticide use than in soils that are free of such chemicals.

I broke down this questions into its repective clauses correctly as below:

Certain pesticides can become ineffective if used repeatedly in the same place;

on reason is suggested by the finding

that there are much larger populations of pesticide-degrading microbes in soils with a relatively long history of pesticide use than in soils

that are free of such chemicals.

1) the first that clause, I agree it modifies the finding and because of that reason I thought it was incorrect because isn't the finding singular so why I have the verb are here? I know the article there is here to complement the verb are, but there are is still refering to the finding ? My main issue is that relative clause that is refering to the finding and i thought it should be singular

2. why is E incorrect ? per the OG explanation, it is not clear what the finding is refering to. Insn't finding refering to what is coming right after ? a much larger populaton of pesticide-.... I chose E since I thought it was more concise.

please help me clear my thoughts. I did this question twice and chose the same wrong answer E.
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1276

Kudos [?]: 3590 [0], given: 185

Re: VR, 2ed, Q # 59 [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2013, 14:04
Expert's post
Thanks for posting your question here Aris :)

Before I answer your query, I want you look at the following sentence.
a. There were many apples in the basket.
b. This is a car.

Can you see how the singularity/plurality of the verb in the above sentences is determined?
“There”, “This” etc. act as “Placeholder pronouns” and do not directly act as subjects. They simply point to a particular object somewhere. (Aha! There it is!)
Verb is singular/plural depending on what the verb is linked to.

As you can see, in example (a) the verb is linked to “apples” and hence we use the plural “were
Similarly in example (b) the verb is linked to “car” and so we use the singular “is”.

Now let us come back to the question on hand. I hope you might have noticed already that we use the plural “are” because of the plural “populations”.

The clause “there are much larger populations of pesticide-degrading microbes in soils with a relatively long history of pesticide use than in soils” answers the question “What reason is suggested by the finding?” and “that” simply acts as a “connector” here.

To answer your second question, please provide your detailed analysis on what you understood about the sentence and what errors you found in each option so that we can correctly identify where you are going wrong. This will minimize the number of queries and save time for both of us.

Thanks for cooperating with us.

Regards,
Krishna Chaitanya

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: VR, 2ed, Q # 59 [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2013, 08:34
thank you!. yes, I got the point with there are and there is. Thanks! When I saw that clause, I automatically assumed whatever comes after must refer to the word it modifies. But both the meaning and the struture makes sence.

The POE analysis I did for the remaining answer choices were similar to those suggested by OG explaination on e-gmat SC.
B and C both have modifier errors: If used repeatedly in the same place is modifying one reason.
D has a modifer error too. If used repeatedly in the same place.. is not clear which clause it modifying

E I still dont really understand it. I broker it down like this, not use if it s correct. I really dont see the meaning error. Please help me really see what wrong with this answer choice ?

-The finding of much larger populations of pesticides-degrading microbes in soils with a relatively long history of pesticide use ( here the finding is the subject)
-than in those that are free of such chemicals suggests one reason ( here in those refers to soils, the other ones, those free of such chemicals meaning those soils that dont have long history of pesticide use. So i didn't think there is paralellims error. Also, suggests is the verb of the finding which is singular. That is the pronoun holder that refers to soils and are is the verb. soils is plural so are is correct)

-certain pesticides can become ineffective if used repeatedly in the same place (certain pestices is the subject and came become the verb and this makes sence)

I dont really see the meaning error. The finding of X suggests one reason certain pesticides can become ineffective ?
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1276

Kudos [?]: 3590 [0], given: 185

Re: VR, 2ed, Q # 59 [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2013, 06:07
Expert's post

Hi Aris,

Let's once gain begin from the beginning. Let's understand the meaning of the original sentence Choice A:

Certain pesticides can become ineffective if used repeatedly in the same place; one reason is suggested by the finding that there are much larger populations of pesticide-degrading microbes in soils with a relatively long history of pesticide use than in soils that are free of such chemicals.

First let us understand what is this "finding". The "finding" is that "certain pesticides can become ineffective if they are used regularly in the same place". The part after the semicolon in the sentence then elaborates on one of the reasons of this finding.

With this understanding, let's now analyze Choice E:

The finding of much larger populations of pesticide-degrading microbes in soils with a relatively long history of pesticide use than in those that are free of such chemicals suggests one reason certain pesticides can become ineffective if used repeatedly in the same place.

In this sentence, the meaning is distorted because now the sentence says "much larger populations of pesticide-degrading microbes in soils with a relatively long history of pesticide use than in those that are free of such chemicals" have been found. This has been said to be the "finding". Is this the same meaning that we got from the original sentence?

The finding is that certain pesticides can become ineffective. And then the reason has been mentioned. But per choice E, now the finding itself has changed. And this is why this choice is incorrect.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Re: VR, 2ed, Q # 59   [#permalink] 04 Sep 2013, 06:07