Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Aug 2014, 01:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

RE: Work Experience

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

RE: Work Experience [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2004, 10:11
I was wondering why do all the top tier schools require so much work experience. Right now i am currently a freshman in college, so i still have a lot of time before i decide what to do. I work for target corporation as a part time job right now. Could i possibly go into a position where it will count as work experience even though i never attained a degree. I could do the same stuff as an intern for a few years and then when i get my bachelors degreee move up. Would this few years as an intern count towards my work experience.
I appreciate you taking the time to help.
CIO
CIO
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2004, 13:33
I used to wonder the same thing when I was in your shoes. I used think it would be great if I could just go ahead and graduate from undergrad and move on and do my MBA. I used to hate that work experience requirement, especially since I worked in a managerial role for a majority of my undergraduate years.

When I got to b-school, however I changed my tune. Unlike Med. School or Law School, which focus heavily on didactic teaching, b-school is much more experienced based. Students teach each other more than the professor teaches the students. By having full-time experience post-undergrad, b-schooler's are able to much better determine what they want to get out of the classroom and step immediately into managerial roles at firms post-grad.

While you might feel as though you're getting some experience now as an intern (this doesn't count towards the "requirement" by the way), it's difficult to get yourself into a position of leadership, which is what b-schools really look for.

So, while it may seem annoying now, years from now when you do go for your MBA, you'll be thankful for the work experience requirement.

http://www.mbagameplan.com

CEO
CEO
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 428 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2004, 15:24
The previous post makes a good point regarding work experience enhancing the learning experience. However, you might be heartened by the fact that some of the most elite schools de-emphasize the "need" for work experience. These schools encourage students of all ages to apply when they believe that the time is right for them to apply to an MBA program. Of course, these schools will also expect stellar credentials from the youngest applicants.

Best,

Hjort