Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Nov 2014, 08:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

reached 530 in practice. Need 600!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

reached 530 in practice. Need 600! [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2009, 22:31
Hello everybody,

After a couple of weeks of hardcore preparation, I somehow was able to push my score upto 530 (GMAT PREP) from 380 (real test took on APRIL 12). Like I had mentioned, 600 or anything above 600 is all I need for an admission as my other credentials are good.

My breakup of scales now range around Q35 and V29. This is the range around which I tend to score even on seperate quants and verbal timed tests (800score).

I need practice in Timing on quants as I tend to run out of time. I have improved a lot on the verbal from 21-22 to around 29. CR and SC has been around 75-80% correct and Need a little more brushing up on the RC which is around 65% for the time being

Resources I used:

I almost finished the OG11 (quite a bit left in Verbal)

Completed 80% of OG quants and verbal supplements

Using Notes for SC from this forum and whatever I collected from the GMAX online course. Same for RC and SC.

Using Kaplan to brush up my quants basics although the GMAX online course was very useful in strengthening my basics

My test is scheduled on the 22nd of this month and I got another 11 days to go. My strategy is to take review everything in mornings (as I have taken off from work for the next 11 days). Take seperate timed tests for quant in the morning (after some intial review ) and same for verbal in the evening and a GMAT PREP full test the next day evening and review the mistakes. Will follow this until test day.

All i need to know is if I can up my score to about 40 in quants and to about 35 in Verbal which means I would hit 600.

Kindly let me know your suggestions and advice if any

Thanks

Sam :)
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2381

Kudos [?]: 10002 [0], given: 3764

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: reached 530 in practice. Need 600! [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2009, 22:47
Expert's post
Make sure you are taking full length tests with AWA - take at least 3 of them to get more comfortable with pace and stamina.

Review your mistakes and understand why you made - with 11 days to go that's the best approach.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Intern
Intern

Re: reached 530 in practice. Need 600! [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2009, 23:04
Thanks for your reply.

So do you suggest I take only GMAT PREP tests or tests from other sources like princeton and 800 score are also good?

Also I need some help with CR though I have improved a lot

Thanks

Sam
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2381

Kudos [?]: 10002 [0], given: 3764

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: reached 530 in practice. Need 600! [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2009, 23:11
Expert's post
sameena wrote:
Thanks for your reply.

So do you suggest I take only GMAT PREP tests or tests from other sources like princeton and 800 score are also good?

Also I need some help with CR though I have improved a lot

Thanks

Sam

If you need practice take whatever you have.

GMAT Prep are the most valuable and realistic - will give you the best result/idea. However, they will only last for 2 tests and possibly 2 more if you reinstall (make sure you wipe out the GMATPrep folder in the Program Files.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Director
Director
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 431 [0], given: 56

Re: reached 530 in practice. Need 600! [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2009, 23:38
Though I haven't given actual test yet, I would suggest you to give more full length tests. You can give GMATPrep tests again, as it randomly picks the question, even in the 2nd attempt you'll find new set of questions. Also, if time permits, may be you can try solving OG questions again (may be the tough ones only) in a timed condition.

But just 11 days to go, don't waste your time in any sub-standard tests or books, as that will have an impact on the concepts and mindset.

ISB 2011-12 thread | Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB
All information related to Indian candidates and B-schools | Indian B-schools accepting GMAT scores
Self evaluation for Why MBA?

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: reached 530 in practice. Need 600! [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2009, 12:04
+1 on the advice to take the simulated CATs with true AWA...don't underestimate the stamina and focus factors....
Intern
Intern

Re: reached 530 in practice. Need 600! [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2009, 20:11
hi

I will suggest you to take up GMAT prep test. In the last few days, it is not advisable to take other test, which may not give you accurate results. A lot of times it leads to demotivate you. Such situations are not really good for your morale in last ten days. Practice more on the strategies and go through your OG's again.

Regards
Abraham :-D
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 50

Re: reached 530 in practice. Need 600! [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2013, 08:44
Hello All,

When I took the real gmat exam, I scored only 23 on verbal. I had 10 mins for the last 10 questions, So I had to guess without even reading. So this time I am planning to skip one RC completely, So as to save time. Is this a stupid idea?.I will use this time to concentrate on other answers. Else ill run out of time again..Pls advice..thanks a ton..
VP
VP
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Followers: 74

Kudos [?]: 456 [0], given: 456

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: reached 530 in practice. Need 600! [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2013, 02:44
SamanthaYasodha wrote:
Hello All,

When I took the real gmat exam, I scored only 23 on verbal. I had 10 mins for the last 10 questions, So I had to guess without even reading. So this time I am planning to skip one RC completely, So as to save time. Is this a stupid idea?.I will use this time to concentrate on other answers. Else ill run out of time again..Pls advice..thanks a ton..

Please use a different thread, so that this thread is no hijacked and you get better responses. Go through this thread, it might be of some help.
Re: reached 530 in practice. Need 600!   [#permalink] 01 Apr 2013, 02:44