Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 20:42 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: LBS '16 CBS '16
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 656 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: LBS '16 CBS '16
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 656 [1]
Send PM
Re: Reached 700 Level questions in Prep Verbal but crashed at 27 [#permalink]
Kudos
FlorentB wrote:
Hello Roygush,

Thanks for getting back on my post. Here is how I work it out:

Sentence correction: I identify the two or three sentences with evident mistakes (idiom, verb tense,....) and then, I narrow my time on the 2 remainings looking for the best answer. I usually write ABCDE on my draft paper and strikethrough each wrong ones.

Reading comprehension: On this, I follow the MGMAT rules and read the whole passage taking quick notes. I'm doing good on timing and usually strike the right answer.

Critical reasoning: I first read the question and then read carefully the passage. I'm not doing the "T" thing suggested by MGMAT because it takes too much time for me. I don't systematically think about potential answers and usually jump on answers directly. I've also realized that I often fail on questions with bold parts in the paragraph.

FYI, I took another shot at the Prep test yesterday focusing on the verbal part :
- 11 wrong answers, including 3 in the first 11 questions and 1 that I deliberately chose wrong (#14) as I faced the question before. The other wrong answers were spaced in the test
- I ended up with 15 minutes left and a score of V31 !
- On my last two CAT tests, I made more mistakes on the verbal and ended up with V38 twice.

Whenever I take a CAT or Prep test, I review each wrong answer carefully and search on the forum to understand the reason why I failed.

Thanks for your tips !

Florent

Basically, everything sounds good besides the CR approach.
If you read the stem and then take 10-15 seconds to understand what you are looking for or "predicting" the answer you are looking for it will be much easier.
As for Bold-Face questions, most people have problems with them and you will see 0-2 questions during the exam.

If you finished 15 minutes earlier, you didn't spend enough time on questions you had wrong.
When finishing a CAT, try to solve the wrong questions by yourself and understand why you chose the wrong answer, don't just check them online.

The amount of mistakes you make may vary. It depends where you do your mistakes. If you mistake a 300-500 question it will hurt your score more than a 700 question. that's why sometimes you are wrong in 15 questions and get the same score if you were mistaken in 11 questions.

Hope this helps,
Roy
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 656 [0]
Send PM
FlorentB wrote:
Thanks Roy ! I'll work it out

No problem. :-D
I actually faced the same issues and working them out right now.
GMAT Club Bot