Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 10:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Reached 700 Level questions in Prep Verbal but crashed at 27

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: CBS '16, LBS '16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Reached 700 Level questions in Prep Verbal but crashed at 27 [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2013, 14:03
Hello everyone,

I am to take the real GMAT next Wednesday and I am a bit disturbed by the Prep I took today.

I started my GMAT preparation 3 months ago and at this time scored very low in verbal (23 and 25). I followed rigorously MGMAT books and improved my verbal scores reaching 38 twice under the MGMAT CAT tests. I then thought I improved the Verbal section but my Prep score returned 27 today!

I'm very confused because while I made mistakes, I faced 700 level questions such as my #29 ("When drafting the Declaration of Sentiments that was adopted..."). I wonder how could my score dropped that much?

Some other information on my verbal part:
- 1st question wrong on SC
- 2 wrong answers (including #1 SC) in the first 11 questions
- 3 hard SC questions answered incorrectly in a row (#12, 13, 14)
- Did Ok up to question #29 where I faced the question mentioned above
- 4 questions answered incorrectly after #29
- By the way, I scored a stable 45 in Q and ended up with a 600

I'll focus my last hours of preparation on SCs but I'm still looking for answers on the reason why I crashed that badly.

Thanks for your help

Florent
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 19

Re: Reached 700 Level questions in Prep Verbal but crashed at 27 [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2013, 13:19
FlorentB wrote:
Hello everyone,

I am to take the real GMAT next Wednesday and I am a bit disturbed by the Prep I took today.

I started my GMAT preparation 3 months ago and at this time scored very low in verbal (23 and 25). I followed rigorously MGMAT books and improved my verbal scores reaching 38 twice under the MGMAT CAT tests. I then thought I improved the Verbal section but my Prep score returned 27 today!

I'm very confused because while I made mistakes, I faced 700 level questions such as my #29 ("When drafting the Declaration of Sentiments that was adopted..."). I wonder how could my score dropped that much?

Some other information on my verbal part:
- 1st question wrong on SC
- 2 wrong answers (including #1 SC) in the first 11 questions
- 3 hard SC questions answered incorrectly in a row (#12, 13, 14)
- Did Ok up to question #29 where I faced the question mentioned above
- 4 questions answered incorrectly after #29
- By the way, I scored a stable 45 in Q and ended up with a 600

I'll focus my last hours of preparation on SCs but I'm still looking for answers on the reason why I crashed that badly.

Thanks for your help

Florent

Hi,
Can you please describe your approach in each of the three sections?
How do you solve SC? what do you look for? do you just follow a split?
How do you approach CR? do you use pre-thinking or rushing to the answers choices and use POE?
How do you tackle RC? do you skim the passage or read everything while taking notes?

If my answer helped, dont forget KUDOS! :)

IMPOSSIBLE IS NOTHING

Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Reached 700 Level questions in Prep Verbal but crashed at 27 [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2013, 00:58
Hello Roygush,

Thanks for getting back on my post. Here is how I work it out:

Sentence correction: I identify the two or three sentences with evident mistakes (idiom, verb tense,....) and then, I narrow my time on the 2 remainings looking for the best answer. I usually write ABCDE on my draft paper and strikethrough each wrong ones.

Reading comprehension: On this, I follow the MGMAT rules and read the whole passage taking quick notes. I'm doing good on timing and usually strike the right answer.

Critical reasoning: I first read the question and then read carefully the passage. I'm not doing the "T" thing suggested by MGMAT because it takes too much time for me. I don't systematically think about potential answers and usually jump on answers directly. I've also realized that I often fail on questions with bold parts in the paragraph.

FYI, I took another shot at the Prep test yesterday focusing on the verbal part :
- 11 wrong answers, including 3 in the first 11 questions and 1 that I deliberately chose wrong (#14) as I faced the question before. The other wrong answers were spaced in the test
- I ended up with 15 minutes left and a score of V31 !
- On my last two CAT tests, I made more mistakes on the verbal and ended up with V38 twice.

Whenever I take a CAT or Prep test, I review each wrong answer carefully and search on the forum to understand the reason why I failed.

Thanks for your tips !

Florent
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 19

Re: Reached 700 Level questions in Prep Verbal but crashed at 27 [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2013, 01:28
This post received
KUDOS
FlorentB wrote:
Hello Roygush,

Thanks for getting back on my post. Here is how I work it out:

Sentence correction: I identify the two or three sentences with evident mistakes (idiom, verb tense,....) and then, I narrow my time on the 2 remainings looking for the best answer. I usually write ABCDE on my draft paper and strikethrough each wrong ones.

Reading comprehension: On this, I follow the MGMAT rules and read the whole passage taking quick notes. I'm doing good on timing and usually strike the right answer.

Critical reasoning: I first read the question and then read carefully the passage. I'm not doing the "T" thing suggested by MGMAT because it takes too much time for me. I don't systematically think about potential answers and usually jump on answers directly. I've also realized that I often fail on questions with bold parts in the paragraph.

FYI, I took another shot at the Prep test yesterday focusing on the verbal part :
- 11 wrong answers, including 3 in the first 11 questions and 1 that I deliberately chose wrong (#14) as I faced the question before. The other wrong answers were spaced in the test
- I ended up with 15 minutes left and a score of V31 !
- On my last two CAT tests, I made more mistakes on the verbal and ended up with V38 twice.

Whenever I take a CAT or Prep test, I review each wrong answer carefully and search on the forum to understand the reason why I failed.

Thanks for your tips !

Florent

Basically, everything sounds good besides the CR approach.
If you read the stem and then take 10-15 seconds to understand what you are looking for or "predicting" the answer you are looking for it will be much easier.
As for Bold-Face questions, most people have problems with them and you will see 0-2 questions during the exam.

If you finished 15 minutes earlier, you didn't spend enough time on questions you had wrong.
When finishing a CAT, try to solve the wrong questions by yourself and understand why you chose the wrong answer, don't just check them online.

The amount of mistakes you make may vary. It depends where you do your mistakes. If you mistake a 300-500 question it will hurt your score more than a 700 question. that's why sometimes you are wrong in 15 questions and get the same score if you were mistaken in 11 questions.

Hope this helps,
Roy

IMPOSSIBLE IS NOTHING

Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Reached 700 Level questions in Prep Verbal but crashed at 27 [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2013, 02:13
Thanks Roy ! I'll work it out
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 19

Re: Reached 700 Level questions in Prep Verbal but crashed at 27 [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2013, 02:15
FlorentB wrote:
Thanks Roy ! I'll work it out

No problem. :-D
I actually faced the same issues and working them out right now.

IMPOSSIBLE IS NOTHING

Re: Reached 700 Level questions in Prep Verbal but crashed at 27   [#permalink] 18 Jun 2013, 02:15