Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:48 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1598 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72873 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Reading Comp Problem [#permalink]
Expert Reply
You need to slow down and summarize the passages as you read. Some of the stranger ones require more attention.

What is your RC strategy?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
bb wrote:
You need to slow down and summarize the passages as you read. Some of the stranger ones require more attention.

I don't really have one, except for these types of passages, just reading and answering usually works ok.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
GmatNY86 wrote:
nevergiveup wrote:
GmatNY86 wrote:
Does anyone have a subject that the Reading Comp passages often cover that they're particularly weak in?

For me when I got something about the natural sciences, I almost always end up bombing that set of questions. Give me economics, business, politics etc. I usually understand those passages and would get most answers right. Usually if I get a wrong answer it's because of a tricky answer choice that tripped me up. However, whenever I read something about science, it's like I'm reading French. How do I answer questions about a passage that I didn't understand at all? I mean am I now supposed to try to improve my science skills too? They have so much technical terminology that I don't understand, that I don't know how I can do that even if I wanted to.

Well, I don't think you have to improve your science skills. It's a standardized test. You are know tested on your background knowledge. As for the technical terms, you can just use the capital letter for substitute.

For me natural science passage is actually not a big problem. But I hate hate social science passages, especially those deal with histories. But I think that is more about my attitude towards the passage. Once I encounter a social science passage, I just don't feel like I want to read it.

What do you mean by "you can just use the capital letter for substitute"?

For example, if the science passage talks about Angiogenesis, you don't need to know what Angiogenesis is. You can just tell youself that the author mentioned A. What you need to know is did the author have a hypothesis about A. Is the hypothesis right or wrong?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72873 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
GmatNY86 wrote:
bb wrote:

I don't really have one, except for these types of passages, just reading and answering usually works ok.

Thought so. You have to follow a strategy unless you want to be studying biology and a lot of other things for the next 10 years.
Retired Moderator
Status:Accepting donations for the mohater MBA debt repayment fund
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [0]
Given Kudos: 234
Concentration: Operations, Finance
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.54
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
+1 with bb's response.

You need a structured approach. For some people, simply reading and answering questions can work. For the rest of us, we need an approach to figure out what the best answer is, and how to re-visit the passage w/o re-reading the whole thing again.

Part of this is being an active reader, and the other part is taking notes or knowing what is where in the passage (easy to refer back and find the answer).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
mohater wrote:
+1 with bb's response.

You need a structured approach. For some people, simply reading and answering questions can work. For the rest of us, we need an approach to figure out what the best answer is, and how to re-visit the passage w/o re-reading the whole thing again.

Part of this is being an active reader, and the other part is taking notes or knowing what is where in the passage (easy to refer back and find the answer).

Thanks guys. What exactly is being an active reader?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
GmatNY86 wrote:
mohater wrote:
+1 with bb's response.

Being active reader means when you are reading the passage, think of why the author want to write this, what is the author trying to tell us, and what kind of tone does the author use....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
nevergiveup wrote:
GmatNY86 wrote:
mohater wrote:
+1 with bb's response.

Being active reader means when you are reading the passage, think of why the author want to write this, what is the author trying to tell us, and what kind of tone does the author use....

Thanks. I'm taking Kaplan courses right now and hopefully we go over this in more detail. Kaplan has helped me with some things so far (RC and tricks for PS) but not others (DS). But I only had 3 sessions and one of them was a diagnostic test. We shall see.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1415 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
For me personally rhyme's RC strategy - verbal-rc-help-30247.html#p205035 worked like a charm. It takes some time to master this approach though.... BUT Now whenever I take any kind of a language test my RC section is the strongest one.))

Also there is a discussion on scientific RC passages here - science-rc-passages-22863.html
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
timetrader wrote:
For me personally rhyme's RC strategy - verbal-rc-help-30247.html#p205035 worked like a charm. It takes some time to master this approach though.... BUT Now whenever I take any kind of a language test my RC section is the strongest one.))

Also there is a discussion on scientific RC passages here - science-rc-passages-22863.html

Haha, I thought that rhyming was involved until I realized the poster's handle is rhyme. Thanks for the links and thanks to rhyme.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
timetrader, now my question is do you write down more than proper names (and dates) when writing down keywords? If so how do you know what to write down? Like in his example "mouse" and "residents", how do you know not to skip that?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1415 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Fair question! I would not necessarily have mouse in that list. But I do write down more than just proper names.
One thing I can say it comes with practice. You'll develop your way of spotting keywords.
I usually note specific names like "phonetic approach" or "spectral range", or "space dust". I also note superlatives like "most efficient". Some words act as red flags that something important is coming like - concluded.
Maybe this approach works for me so well cuz I used to skim a lot through various texts while studing at my university and reading bunch of books with lots of blah, blah :lol:
Also sometimes my notes won't have the answer but for me it is much quicker to get back to the place (and I'm gonna know were it is by looking at keywords) at find the answer in a text then to read everything and try to remember it...cuz i know I won't remember every detail... but that's for me.

So note that I don't say that this is "the only" right method. There are others that might work better for you. Like Gin's RC strategy where you read every word...

So try and see what works for you. Good luck on mastering the RC!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Thanks timetrader,

I read every word as it stands now. I find that usually I'm ok. However the problem is that I end up rereading a lot of anyway (and often I don't even remember where the info is from). However I've never been good at skimming (I either end up reading or just don't retain information, usually the former). That said, if it's just to jot down keywords rather than skim and try to retain information, maybe it can work this way. It is a little scary, seems like you may be leaving yourself vulnerable.

P.S. Are you from Kiev (Kyiv)? I was born there.
GMAT Club Bot