Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 11:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Reading comprehension

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Reading comprehension [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2003, 08:29
I was wondering if anyone can suggest methods normally used in order to master the art of RC. Speed reading perhaps..Any books or websites. Also what are some of the general guidelines to master RC. I know this is and extremly general question, but any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Attain Moksha

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2277

Kudos [?]: 8796 [0], given: 3666

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Reading comprehension [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2003, 12:14
Expert's post
satgates wrote:
I was wondering if anyone can suggest methods normally used in order to master the art of RC. Speed reading perhaps..Any books or websites. Also what are some of the general guidelines to master RC. I know this is and extremly general question, but any help is appreciated.

Thanks

RC Prep Recommendations:
There are theoretically 2 different levels of preparation: active and passive. Active is your preparation for math тАУ you study formulae, rules, concepts, etc. Reaidng, however is not like that тАУ it is more analytical and unstructured than math, thus you will have to do passive prep. One problem with it is that it takes much longer than its cousin.

To deal with RC there are some pre-requisites such as a decent vocabulary and ability to concentrate and focus for at least 4 minutes in a row.
1. Vocabulary тАУ even if you are not a native speaker, I would not spend a whole lot time on this unless you are really bad тАУ you for sure need to know all the words you meet in questions, but donтАЩt bother about those GRE words. It is nice to know the words, but it takes so much time when you are 25+ to pick them up that they are almost $20 a piece. If you are still determined, here are a few books that will give you a better ROI.
2. Focus тАУ the most difficult of course is to stay focused after a long math section and 2 essays. However, you can practice to develop these skills. A very good simulation is reading at 10 PM after a long work day. Usually by the time one is home and gets something to eat it is late and the head is incapable of processing any more information тАУ this is very similar to oneтАЩs mindset in the middle of the Verbal section on the GMAT. Thus, try practicing, and instead of GMAT, get some fiction out (not necessarily hard) and try to read. Get something interesting with a good plot as to keep you awake.

Bottom line: DonтАЩt spend time memorizing random words; instead pick a few nice fiction books or anything else lengthy enough for an hour of reading. I have compiled a list of fiction my English professor suggested would be a good start.

Why Read Books/Fiction/etc
- Get used to reading for more than 10 minutes тАУ practicing ability to stay focused
- Pick up some vocabulary as you read by guessing or eventually looking into a dictionary. Many books have some key specific words repeat so many times that you wonтАЩt forget them till you die. (higher ROI)
- Get used to proper English. Very often spoken or email English is not proper English and is grammatically incorrect. As you read more, certain things will start sounding more correct to you and vice versa. This is an especially valuable asset for SC for non-native speakers тАУ ability to say what is correct and what is not just by the sound of it.

P.S. I just read a bunch of books and tried to stay focused while I was reading to train my eyes/brain/whatever to wrestle with text.

---
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2003, 05:31
Thank you so much BB, I think those suggestion were completly valid and appropriate. I am a non-native english speaker but dont think my english is that bad, so I guess I shall stick to your advice of reading when fatigue which will help me excercise my mind.

Thanks again. Incase you are aware of some speed reading books or techniques, please pass it over.

Thanks once again.
Sat.

Attain Moksha

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2277

Kudos [?]: 8796 [0], given: 3666

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
 [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2003, 08:36
Expert's post
satgates wrote:
Thank you so much BB, I think those suggestion were completly valid and appropriate. I am a non-native english speaker but dont think my english is that bad, so I guess I shall stick to your advice of reading when fatigue which will help me excercise my mind.

Thanks again. Incase you are aware of some speed reading books or techniques, please pass it over.

Thanks once again.
Sat.

I have done speed reading training when I was like 14 or so, and it is not exactly helpful. You can gain high speeds in very little time, but it is not appropriate for the GMAT. I went up to thousands of words per minute, but I would not be able to answer the RC quesitons.

Speed Reading is good when you need to skim a lot of pick out some numeric or specific data from the text, but it does not help in understanding the overal development and such.

I am probably a fairly fast reader, but I don't read faster than my mind can handle the information I feed into it.

What I did sometimes, I would read and after each paragraph I would say something like this: "So, the new solar technology is good but the batteries are too expensive to manufacture, etc." Basically summarising the paragraphs. This was the most MOST most helpful technique.

I picked it up from Kaplan's Verbal Workbook (Here I go again advertising their stuff - probably should buy their stock); This workbook has a large portion dedicated to Reading Techiniques.

-=-
  [#permalink] 10 Jul 2003, 08:36